Jump to content
Tamberav

Tamberav's IM 25 Lagoon - Added some clams!

Recommended Posts

Nothing special going on.... just doing my 5g weekly water changes.. 

 

Hooked up my MP10 and skimmer.

 

I did have a small dusting of diatoms and wispy hair algae show up last week - the after cycle crap... but it showed up for a few days and then vanished as quickly as it appeared. I see some small dots of coraline algae on the acrylic wall.

 

Having a hard time deciding what type of fish to add first. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ordered a nano-box duo :biggrin: It is the older style housing but 5 channel with the new mints. Saved myself some sweet cash by using an older style housing. 

 

My current duo is super super old and needs some TLC. I have a cheap soldering iron so going to try and fix this old one up and move it over the IM10 once the new one arrives.

 

This is how my IM10 looked with the older duo... I had no complaints!

 

29149721302_2f6cf921c5_z.jpgIm10-fts by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2018 at 5:19 PM, Tamberav said:

Ordered a nano-box duo :biggrin: It is the older style housing but 5 channel with the new mints. Saved myself some sweet cash by using an older style housing. 

 

My current duo is super super old and needs some TLC. I have a cheap soldering iron so going to try and fix this old one up and move it over the IM10 once the new one arrives.

 

This is how my IM10 looked with the older duo... I had no complaints!

 

29149721302_2f6cf921c5_z.jpgIm10-fts by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

@Tamberav, do you happen to have a build on that IM10?  It looks so pretty. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

@Tamberav, do you happen to have a build on that IM10?  It looks so pretty. 

 

Sadly the tank is not up and running as a DT atm, I moved and sold many of the inhabitants off. I do plan on setting it up as a DT again but right now it has macro in it and being used a QT for new fish. This is the thread... eventually will get it going again. May not be too long as just waiting for the light to be built.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

so how are you liking your lagoon 25? i was thinking of downgrading to get an all in one tank bc i hate the chords and stuff i have in my 38 bowfront. any gripes so far? I have the im nuvo fusion 10 as an office tank at work and i love it so far

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

so how are you liking your lagoon 25? i was thinking of downgrading to get an all in one tank bc i hate the chords and stuff i have in my 38 bowfront. any gripes so far? I have the im nuvo fusion 10 as an office tank at work and i love it so far

 

What tank size you downgrading from?

 

I used to have sumps but went AIO this time just for ease of maintenance and because the tank runs very quiet this way. I honestly like peninsula or long tanks better but that is just personal preference. I picked this one because it fits in a good spot in the house and a nano-box duo works perfectly over it. My one big gripe is the back chambers are really limited on equipment since they are so narrow so I had to hunt down a specific skimmer and what not. I also prefer tanks without black silicone. The aquamaxx or Mr aqua types use such little clear silicone, you can't see it at all.

 

Overall it is a very nice tank for the price though. The tanks with similar footprint do not have low iron which was a huge pass for me. Otherwise I would have made my own AIO. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/11/2018 at 12:27 AM, Tamberav said:

Top down from last night.

 

42020522821_e56a4c6952_b.jpgtop25 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

The tentacled one at the bottom - is that an elegance? How do you find it so far? Easy enough to keep?

 

Asking because I'm debating getting a small elegance (frag is better) for my 20G in the upcoming months. I've kept elegances before, but large ones which unfortunately do not make it past 1 year in my tank. I find feeding them incredibly tricky.

Oh, and I love the giant leather too! 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

The tentacled one at the bottom - is that an elegance? How do you find it so far? Easy enough to keep?

 

Asking because I'm debating getting a small elegance (frag is better) for my 20G in the upcoming months. I've kept elegances before, but large ones which unfortunately do not make it past 1 year in my tank. I find feeding them incredibly tricky.

Oh, and I love the giant leather too! 

 

Was doing great but not so much right now, my lights took a crap and tank was without light for awhile... now I got a crappy one over it. Hope it recovers.... was fine till then. It was an aqua cultured piece. The tentacles are short now, maybe light shock?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

 

Was doing great but not so much right now, my lights took a crap and tank was without light for awhile... now I got a crappy one over it. Hope it recovers.... was fine till then. It was an aqua cultured piece. 

I thought they do OK in moderate light? 

Is it Indonesian or Australian kind? 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

 

Was doing great but not so much right now, my lights took a crap and tank was without light for awhile... now I got a crappy one over it. Hope it recovers.... was fine till then. It was an aqua cultured piece. The tentacles are short now, maybe light shock?

I used to target feed mine reef roids and very tiny bits of crab roe. It was doing well until one day, it just began to die off. It was a wild piece from Indo - came from another customer's tank. I love elegances, but they seem to have a very high mortality rate in nanos for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I used to target feed mine reef roids and very tiny bits of crab roe. It was doing well until one day, it just began to die off. It was a wild piece from Indo - came from another customer's tank. I love elegances, but they seem to have a very high mortality rate in nanos for some reason. 

It’s interesting to read and hear all those different stories regarding Elegance. 

Aussie Elegance seems to make a comeback.

All suppliers and resellers sing the same song, “Aussie Elegance are easy and have almost a %100 survivability rate”. 

For how long did you manage to keep it alive? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

 

What tank size you downgrading from?

 

I used to have sumps but went AIO this time just for ease of maintenance and because the tank runs very quiet this way. I honestly like peninsula or long tanks better but that is just personal preference. I picked this one because it fits in a good spot in the house and a nano-box duo works perfectly over it. My one big gripe is the back chambers are really limited on equipment since they are so narrow so I had to hunt down a specific skimmer and what not. I also prefer tanks without black silicone. The aquamaxx or Mr aqua types use such little clear silicone, you can't see it at all.

 

Overall it is a very nice tank for the price though. The tanks with similar footprint do not have low iron which was a huge pass for me. Otherwise I would have made my own AIO. 

 

i have a 38g bowfront. i went sumpless and purchased a coralife filter with skimmer attachment and the seachem tidal 55g filter. I have apollo reef solar blast 500 (165w) i just wanted an all in one tank so i didnt have a bunch of stuff hanging on the tank and a bunch of chords. I love my im nano fusion 10 but that is my office tank. thanks for the input on the lagoon 25, i love the lagoon look and might grab one and just keep my apollo reef leds over it...not sure what i want to do quite yet lol.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2018 at 5:19 PM, Tamberav said:

Ordered a nano-box duo :biggrin: It is the older style housing but 5 channel with the new mints. Saved myself some sweet cash by using an older style housing.

 

nice! I actually ordered a older housing tide for my fusion 10 to save myself a bit of cash same time you did, I didnt get it from dave though.  I was a little bummed because it doesnt use the new mint channels, but honestly for the price I got it, I was very happy overall!



 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

It’s interesting to read and hear all those different stories regarding Elegance. 

Aussie Elegance seems to make a comeback.

All suppliers and resellers sing the same song, “Aussie Elegance are easy and have almost a %100 survivability rate”. 

For how long did you manage to keep it alive? 

Both of them survived about slightly more than a year. Then they began to perish one by one. I'm still not sure why, but I heard the same thing you did - Aussie elegances have better survivability rates in tanks than Indo elegances. I *think they do need to be target-feed very minute particles every twice a week to be kept healthy. I could be wrong though. 

Share this post


Link to post

Long overdue update... 

 

So obviously ordering lights from Dave takes time, but this took a lot of time, I guess the bluefish controllers were out for two months. Dave surprised me and when my packaged finally arrived, it wasn't the older style duo I paid for but a brand new one 😮 So that is awesome, but jokes on me cuz it's so nice...now I want to buy a tide for the 10g lol

 

My life was really busy and with the tank just having just a par light over it..... it suffered a bit. Didn't get water changes or proper lighting, boo! Nothing died but some corals bleached and all my zoa's and leathers are stretching. They were used to getting blasted. The elegance lives but bleached from lack of light, I have it in the back-ish area where it won't get too shocked by the new light. The fiji's turned brown again just as they were going yellow, ugh! 

 

Oh well the light is up and running now and I did a 10g water change last week and one last night so the tank should turn around with some TLC. 

 

I got some GHA wisps and things everywhere but it has been a blessing because my blenny is not taking prepared foods yet (though seems interested when I feed). I see him eating the algae and picking at the rocks and he has stayed plump. I purposely didn't scrape it all off so he can have his salad.

 

Here are some bad cellphone pics, sorry for some of them looking saturated. 

 

45115547842_f3e027c93d_c.jpgIMG_20181007_153359 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

44441972994_3dc7bbe124_c.jpgIMG_20181007_143235 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

Only fish are a helfrichi firefish and a pictus blenny, I also have some tiny inverts, porcelain crab, blue boxer shrimp, and a pom pom crab.

 

45164226181_dae2e00b11_c.jpgIMG_20181007_153424 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

Blenny super is cute and likes to sit on the leathers.

 

44441972914_9f86b6bc14_c.jpgIMG_20181007_143441~2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

 

I also discovered a nano-conch. I had these years ago and still have the original rock but the rock has moved and swapped tanks so much I thought they had died off. Perhaps they making a comeback with the extra algae. I hope so! I carefully returned him to the rocks.

 

45164422821_f481e81c18_c.jpgIMG_20181007_010640 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

 

Also something wild happened before I scrapped the algae off the glass... my fighting couch was climbing the glass! I have no idea how he does it. It looked like a struggle to lift that heavy shell with his foot. 

 

45164422861_3b9cea48e7_c.jpgIMG_20180929_011205 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

45164422601_3024c8b194_c.jpgIMG_20180929

 

 

For those not following my other threads, we also got a new F3 Snow Mink bengal kitten! He's a sweetie! 

 

44438889222_33492f8ec9_c.jpg2018-09-05_04-18-57 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

30192011507_b85682c08c_c.jpgIMG_20180930_180250 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ahhhhh, adorable blenny and also adorable sleeping kitten/cat pic!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

That fighting conch craps me up! Sometimes mine climbs on the rocks, but only for a couple inches before he falls off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Long overdue update... 

 

So obviously ordering lights from Dave takes time, but this took a lot of time, I guess the bluefish controllers were out for two months. Dave surprised me and when my packaged finally arrived, it wasn't the older style duo I paid for but a brand new one 😮 So that is awesome, but jokes on me cuz it's so nice...now I want to buy a tide for the 10g lol

 

My life was really busy and with the tank just having just a par light over it..... it suffered a bit. Didn't get water changes or proper lighting, boo! Nothing died but some corals bleached and all my zoa's and leathers are stretching. They were used to getting blasted. The elegance lives but bleached from lack of light, I have it in the back-ish area where it won't get too shocked by the new light. The fiji's turned brown again just as they were going yellow, ugh! 

 

Oh well the light is up and running now and I did a 10g water change last week and one last night so the tank should turn around with some TLC. 

 

I got some GHA wisps and things everywhere but it has been a blessing because my blenny is not taking prepared foods yet (though seems interested when I feed). I see him eating the algae and picking at the rocks and he has stayed plump. I purposely didn't scrape it all off so he can have his salad.

 

Here are some bad cellphone pics, sorry for some of them looking saturated. 

 

45115547842_f3e027c93d_c.jpgIMG_20181007_153359 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

44441972994_3dc7bbe124_c.jpgIMG_20181007_143235 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

Only fish are a helfrichi firefish and a pictus blenny, I also have some tiny inverts, porcelain crab, blue boxer shrimp, and a pom pom crab.

 

45164226181_dae2e00b11_c.jpgIMG_20181007_153424 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

Blenny super is cute and likes to sit on the leathers.

 

44441972914_9f86b6bc14_c.jpgIMG_20181007_143441~2 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

 

I also discovered a nano-conch. I had these years ago and still have the original rock but the rock has moved and swapped tanks so much I thought they had died off. Perhaps they making a comeback with the extra algae. I hope so! I carefully returned him to the rocks.

 

45164422821_f481e81c18_c.jpgIMG_20181007_010640 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

 

Also something wild happened before I scrapped the algae off the glass... my fighting couch was climbing the glass! I have no idea how he does it. It looked like a struggle to lift that heavy shell with his foot. 

 

45164422861_3b9cea48e7_c.jpgIMG_20180929_011205 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

45164422601_3024c8b194_c.jpgIMG_20180929

 

 

For those not following my other threads, we also got a new F3 Snow Mink bengal kitten! He's a sweetie! 

 

44438889222_33492f8ec9_c.jpg2018-09-05_04-18-57 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

30192011507_b85682c08c_c.jpgIMG_20180930_180250 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

 

 

 

 

 

Love, love that Pictus! Oh, and those kitties are cute too. Tank looks great, actually. :happydance:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That fighting conch craps me up! Sometimes mine climbs on the rocks, but only for a couple inches before he falls off.

Yeah it is totally bizarre. He has done it twice now that I have seen (always at night). None of my other conchs did this but he is a feisty one... when I bought him and went to take him out of the bag... as soon as I had my eyes off him he started punching my hand with his foot, scared the bejeezus out of me, felt so alien :blink: 

 

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ahhhhh, adorable blenny and also adorable sleeping kitten/cat pic!

 

Thank you! They seem to think so, so smug! 

 

1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Love, love that Pictus! Oh, and those kitties are cute too. Tank looks great, actually. :happydance:

Yeah, not too shabby for being neglected and with poor lighting for over 2 months. The sand was dirty but I siphoned all the crud out and its staying nice now. Pictus has been a must have for me ever since I first saw it in your tank! Beauty and personality all in one!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah, not too shabby for being neglected and with poor lighting for over 2 months. The sand was dirty but I siphoned all the crud out and its staying nice now. Pictus has been a must have for me ever since I first saw it in your tank! Beauty and personality all in one!

I find corals surprisingly resilient, actually. I've seen frags with very little flesh on it come back to live after months of improper lighting. And I've also seen some people keep their reef tanks close to the window and rely more on natural sunlight than LEDs/T5s to supplement coral growth. 

 

Oh, I miss my Pictus very, very badly! My LFS hasn't pulled in any Pictuses for years now. Occasionally we'll get a TSB - but that's as far as it goes to getting any sort of small combtooth blenny species here. Bicolors and algae blennies still remain highly popular for some odd reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I find corals surprisingly resilient, actually. I've seen frags with very little flesh on it come back to live after months of improper lighting. And I've also seen some people keep their reef tanks close to the window and rely more on natural sunlight than LEDs/T5s to supplement coral growth. 

 

Oh, I miss my Pictus very, very badly! My LFS hasn't pulled in any Pictuses for years now. Occasionally we'll get a TSB - but that's as far as it goes to getting any sort of small combtooth blenny species here. Bicolors and algae blennies still remain highly popular for some odd reason. 

 

Oh that stinks! I wonder why that is? Maybe they are shipping them here or other areas instead? You used have all the pictus blennys and we had 0 pictus blennys. Now they show up on and off on Diver's Den. It seems they usually send fish wherever they can get the most $$ for them (hello Japan and all their cool stuff) but It's not like they are that expensive here though, around 40-50 dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

 

Oh that stinks! I wonder why that is? Maybe they are shipping them here or other areas instead? You used have all the pictus blennys and we had 0 pictus blennys. Now they show up on and off on Diver's Den. It seems they usually send fish wherever they can get the most $$ for them (hello Japan and all their cool stuff) but It's not like they are that expensive here though, around 40-50 dollars.

That might be a possibility (the shipping to the US part). My first ever Pictus blenny cost me RM 20 (<$5.00). That was my very first blenny, but I was a complete newbie to reefing at that time and didn't do my reading properly, and I ended up killing him due to ignorance + lack of knowledge (tank crash). This was back in 2011, I believe. 😞

 

Few years later, I managed to get another Pictus and he was a champ. Problem was, I was shifting some rockwork and I didn't realize he was hidden in one of the rock crevices because he was so tiny. I left the rock sitting out of the water for almost half an hour before I realized there was a fish trapped in there. By the time I dunked the rock back into some saltwater, he was surprisingly still alive, but barely. He died minutes later. Also due to my ignorance and mistake. 😞

 

I've tried my best to order/source out another Pictus since then, but never found any. LFSes prefer pulling in larger species of blennies, and ones that will be sold quickly. Most local reefers prefer algae blennies since they do clear out GHA from an infested tank pretty quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That might be a possibility (the shipping to the US part). My first ever Pictus blenny cost me RM 20 (<$5.00). That was my very first blenny, but I was a complete newbie to reefing at that time and didn't do my reading properly, and I ended up killing him due to ignorance + lack of knowledge (tank crash). This was back in 2011, I believe. 😞

 

Few years later, I managed to get another Pictus and he was a champ. Problem was, I was shifting some rockwork and I didn't realize he was hidden in one of the rock crevices because he was so tiny. I left the rock sitting out of the water for almost half an hour before I realized there was a fish trapped in there. By the time I dunked the rock back into some saltwater, he was surprisingly still alive, but barely. He died minutes later. Also due to my ignorance and mistake. 😞

 

I've tried my best to order/source out another Pictus since then, but never found any. LFSes prefer pulling in larger species of blennies, and ones that will be sold quickly. Most local reefers prefer algae blennies since they do clear out GHA from an infested tank pretty quickly. 

Ahh.... it probably doesn't help you don't have something like Diver's Den I am guessing. I only ever saw a pictus in the LFS once but since Diver's Den can reach a large # of people using the internet, they can move these unusual fish to weirdos like me who want them over the more popular blennies. 

 

I really love the look of Bundoon blennies and the Mimic blennies, I wish I could have a tank full of all blennies, why can't we all just get along...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ahh.... it probably doesn't help you don't have something like Diver's Den I am guessing. I only ever saw a pictus in the LFS once but since Diver's Den can reach a large # of people using the internet, they can move these unusual fish to weirdos like me who want them over the more popular blennies. 

 

I really love the look of Bundoon blennies and the Mimic blennies, I wish I could have a tank full of all blennies, why can't we all just get along...

Also, DD and LA has blocked their website in some countries with a general webpage of 'we don't ship internationally'. I used to love watching the fish/livestock on DD even though I couldn't buy them. Now I can only access their webpage if I use VPN. 😕

 

I think Dawn has multiple blennies going on in one tank, but they're different types (fangs + combtooth + barnacle) so they occupy different territories. I tried keeping a bicolor with a two spot once in a nano - the bicolor harassed the two spot so much that I had to give one of the blennies away. They really, really get pissed off if there's another blenny in the tank with them for some reason. I've never seen any of my blennies harass my gobies, even though they share similar body shapes. (This goes for nano tanks)

 

Tank full of blennies definitely rocks. But I've seen it possible only in a mega-salty system in a display tank at the SEA Singapore Aquarium (Public). I estimate that tank to be at least >350G. There were dozens of blennies and dragonets in the same tank, but it was heavily stocked with corals and rock, so each individual had a territory of their own (I assume). I didn't witness any fighting in the 10 mins that I stood, staring at that tank. 

EDIT: We have some online stores that do sell fish here. It doesn't have a wide selection like DD or LA though. Problem is shipping. Malaysian weather averages between 28'C to 36'C. If the vendor doesn't post by bus and uses couriers by standard post, most of the time the fish will be DOA in a boiling hot plastic bag. It's why I prefer COD or LFS as a means to get any livestock, even though it's costlier as compared to buying anything alive online. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Also, DD and LA has blocked their website in some countries with a general webpage of 'we don't ship internationally'. I used to love watching the fish/livestock on DD even though I couldn't buy them. Now I can only access their webpage if I use VPN. 😕

 

I think Dawn has multiple blennies going on in one tank, but they're different types (fangs + combtooth + barnacle) so they occupy different territories. I tried keeping a bicolor with a two spot once in a nano - the bicolor harassed the two spot so much that I had to give one of the blennies away. They really, really get pissed off if there's another blenny in the tank with them for some reason. I've never seen any of my blennies harass my gobies, even though they share similar body shapes. (This goes for nano tanks)

 

Tank full of blennies definitely rocks. But I've seen it possible only in a mega-salty system in a display tank at the SEA Singapore Aquarium (Public). I estimate that tank to be at least >350G. There were dozens of blennies and dragonets in the same tank, but it was heavily stocked with corals and rock, so each individual had a territory of their own (I assume). I didn't witness any fighting in the 10 mins that I stood, staring at that tank. 

EDIT: We have some online stores that do sell fish here. It doesn't have a wide selection like DD or LA though. Problem is shipping. Malaysian weather averages between 28'C to 36'C. If the vendor doesn't post by bus and uses couriers by standard post, most of the time the fish will be DOA in a boiling hot plastic bag. It's why I prefer COD or LFS as a means to get any livestock, even though it's costlier as compared to buying anything alive online. 

 

Yeah, I might do a fang blenny since it should be fine with a combtooth but who knows, no definite stocking plan, kind of depends what shows up in stock.

 

That is weird they would ship them like that, no DOA policy? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×