inTank Media Baskets

Long nano tank with hidden tech

samuelhorn

Hi!

I got my first reef setup about 8 months ago, and its going great. But as you do this for your first time, you soon realise what you should have done different.

So, I'm slowly sketching on my second reef, which will be sumped, and with no visible tech in the display.

Ive been doing som sketching on different overflow ideas, but kind of ending up not wanting even a slim ghost box on a short side, I want it to be invisible. So this is what I have so far. Dimensions 900x250x250mm. Glass frame on top for more stability and prevent jumpers. Herbie overflow with 20mm pipes, and one 20mm return. All hidden in rock work. Now since im not working in 3D anymore my skills are a bit rusty, but the rock work will contain of lots of small pieces glued together, roughly in this shape.

Now I want your feedback. Anything you can se is totally wrong, something I havent thought about? Attaching one images with just pipe work, and one with rock/sand/box.

Best Regards

Samuel Horn

reef-1.jpg

reef-2.jpg

• Wow 1
jamescstein

Your return outlet is too low. Your tank will siphon to the level of the return, make sure your sump can handle to water volume and your livestock if above that level can handle the lack of water.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Possibly tee the return and have it come out on both sides. As it sits now it looks like a big dead zone on the left side of the tank. 

Good idea! Will incorporate tonight!

Forgot to mention, but you maybe already figured that out. Im thinking an over dimentioned return pump here (hence the 20mm return), and try to skip streamers in the tank. Dont know if that will be enough though?!

I really like this idea mate, and i'm following along to see where you go with it.  Reminiscent in a way of closed loop systems. 

A question though - how will you stop stuff crawling/floating in? Even with two pipes I think there is a non-zero chance of both becoming blocked.  Normally there would be a comb on the weir protecting the pipes.

I love where you are going with this idea!  If you are planning to keep corals, I would be concerned about enough flow though without a wave-maker in there.  

Are you planning on an over-sized return pump?  Try to limit the plumbing to have as few corners as you can.  I have been brainstorming my next build and I am considering using plastic tubing and no PVC.  My current build is half and half.  Less corners will allow more flow to pass into the tank.

jamescstein
3 hours ago, NYfishies said:

I love where you are going with this idea!  If you are planning to keep corals, I would be concerned about enough flow though without a wave-maker in there.  

Are you planning on an over-sized return pump?  Try to limit the plumbing to have as few corners as you can.  I have been brainstorming my next build and I am considering using plastic tubing and no PVC.  My current build is half and half.  Less corners will allow more flow to pass into the tank.

Or if you have the room, instead of elbows bend the PVC so its not a sharp corner.

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2018 at 6:52 PM, jamescstein said:

Your return outlet is too low. Your tank will siphon to the level of the return, make sure your sump can handle to water volume and your livestock if above that level can handle the lack of water.

you can get a one way stop valve ez pz fix 

edit: oh shit this is old hahaha h

On 7/13/2019 at 4:20 AM, derf9h said:

What happened with this tank? I love this tank size, where did you get it? 

Hi!

I didn’t get it yet. The images above are my sketches only. This project is kind of put on hold, since I’m pretty happy with my ADA60p for now. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...