ReefCleaners.org

Food schedule plan for a 12gal nano- meat, lps, dry food etc

Laurenscube

Laurenscube

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get some advice on a feeding schedule for my 12 gal nano cube. Not sure if its overkill however I think each food has its benefits.

Currently feeding each day something different no particular routinea part from the Hikari dry food I feed each day for my clown fish.

Corals:

Xenia,

mushroom selection,

acan frag,

favia frag,

GSP,

Hammerhead x1 ,

Button polyp,

Montipora x2 frags,

Maintenance:

Water change 10 % weekly unless a parameter is low and need to replensih

Red sea coral pro salt 

Dose red sea foundation if needed between water changes

Nitrates: 0.10 -0.25 ppm

Phospate: 0.25 ppm API test kit

Currently feed:

• Marine cuisine- Frozen food brine shrimp, mysis, squid,clam, seaweed - I have a packet which has all these flavours :) in different seperate cubes 
  • Hikari dry food- for my one fish
  • nano Reef roids - Recently told this is just for sps and to ideally stop giving as hammerhead has thrown it up eachtime 

Recently got some LPS pellet food- with online corals which i want to add in 

Would also like to add pytoplankton.

I was thinking of feeding the dry food hikari pellets once aday for the fish and then each food each day for example:

Monday- am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls  pm - Frozen food

Tuesday-am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls pm- pm- Lps pellet food

Wednesday-am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls pm -pytoplankton - when i get some 

Thursday -am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls- pm- Frozen food

Friday- am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls- pm Lps pellet

Saturday- am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls- frozen food

Sunday-am Hikari pellets 1 - 3 balls- phtoplanton

Questions:

Never used phytoplankton so dont know the dosing rquirments- any advice would be great

LPS pellets i assume max twice a week ??

Frozen 3 times a week is this to much ?

THANK YOU

Currently testing all the time to get a clear picture whats going on so will keep an eye on my phosphates and nitrates

Your nitrates and phos are getting up there.

Nitrates should be 2-5 ideally. 10 being ok but as you get higher, algae outbreaks are very common.

Phos should be 0.01- .0.03.

So i' m going to say the amount of food and type of food is the cause.

Frozen everyday will increase nutrients.

Why do you want to dose phyto? Ppl who dose phyto have a purpose, like populating pods in a refugium which feed certain livestock like Mandarins.

Sometimes less is more. If you have fish, the need to feed corals is reduced. Some don't feed at all.

Feeding is a requirement when there are no fish as nutrients is so low/non existent that it's detrimental to the corals.

My personal schedule

Pellets every day (2 different kinds alternated)

1 time a week mysis

Reef roids and lps pellets 1 time a week before waterchange

I personally dose phyto every day. I have some NPS and filter feeders.

Unless you are turning the water green, it is hard to overdose as long as the phyto doesn't have a lot of nutrients still present.

Anything particular you are trying to feed with the phyto?

1 hour ago, Beer said:

I personally dose phyto every day. I have some NPS and filter feeders.

Unless you are turning the water green, it is hard to overdose as long as the phyto doesn't have a lot of nutrients still present.

Anything particular you are trying to feed with the phyto?

That works if you have livestock that needs phyto otherwise it becomes more waste.

Nps would use phyto as well as pods but if there is no need, it's a waste.

Most coral foods have phyto in it.

Laurenscube

Thank you everyone for your replies

I agree my phosphates and nitrates are creeping up and pleased to hear If I have a fish and feeding him then this will be feeding my corals.

Wanted to target feed them as I enjoying interacting with them in this way and hope this will boost growth as some seem to be growing incredible slow.

I think my schedule seems to be way to much if others are successful with much less food on bigger systems.

About the phyto- I thought that would be good for corals in the long run filter feeders etc and wanted to keep my copepods fat and healthy as hope to build a little refugium for macro algae in the back soon as may possibly get a mandarin one day been considering it as my tank is 2+ years old and is crawling with copepods and amiphipods and looking for a beautiful fish.

As its been mentioned that my phos and nitrates high- I will lower my feedings and monitor, However if i were to get a refugium I assume this will help ?? + help house a nice copepod area ??

Thanks again :happy: