Cultivated Reef

New kid

Kleankutkid

Kleankutkid

New to the forum.  Have a couple of reefs, a 75 and a 27 cube, at home.  For years I kept a 7.5 FW planted tank in my office.  Finally got up the nerve to try a nano reef (after 20+ years in the hobby; I'm cautious).  Office regs restrict tank size to 10 gallons or less so I went with the Fusion 10.  Been running about two months after a fishless cycle.  No skimmer, but I turned the middle compartment into a fuge with the inTank refugium basket and the chaetomax light.  Kessil A80.  So far, so good, but I'm wondering about a skimmer.   Looks like folks here like the Reefglass.  Just not sure I can fit it in with all the stuff in the rear chamber.  Any advice welcome.  Here's a pic.

IMG_1276.jpg

• Like 1

Ive been running my fusion 10 skimmer-less for a couple years, I had a IM ghost skimmer in there for a bit but didn't really like it. Made too many micro bubbles. 

If I did get another skimmer Id try the reefglass for sure. 

• Like 1

beautiful. question - does your hr department actually have clause for reef tanks up to 10 g? if so are you guys hiring? j/k -I would love to have a small reef tank at the office, but in the office we have cubicles and hoteling so I just work from home as much as I can so I sort of have a reef tank in my (home) office.

• Like 1
Kleankutkid
11 hours ago, sna66 said:

beautiful. question - does your hr department actually have clause for reef tanks up to 10 g? if so are you guys hiring? j/k -I would love to have a small reef tank at the office, but in the office we have cubicles and hoteling so I just work from home as much as I can so I sort of have a reef tank in my (home) office.

I work on a college campus (prof) so I have my own office.  The 10-gallon thing is a campus rule on aquariums, probably put in place so students wouldn't set up 200-gallon tanks in the dorms and leave them to overflow during Xmas break!  The only exceptions are the bio labs where they have to have bigger tanks.  I like having an office reef (so far).   Takes a bit of planning and maneuvering (especially if, like me, you're not there every day) to have water available, make sure the power supply is safe, etc.  One change I did make is that I now use natural seawater from Nature's Ocean.  It's a bit more expensive (about $20 a month), but I can have it delivered to the office; saves me mixing it at home and bringing it in.  My colleagues gave me some grief about the frozen mysis in the dept. fridge, but most of them like to come in and check on the tank periodically.  It's also a real "draw" for students.  They can't see the tank via email, so they come in for face-to-face help with assignments.   If you don't have room for a 10-gallon, you could try a pico reef.  Just corals and some easy inverts in a desktop aquarium.  I've seen a couple that are really cool.