Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blue Velvet Damsel Bullying Brain Coral

dawz2

Is it normal for my Blue Velvet Damsel to pick on my brain coral (Trachyphyllia)?! Came home from work yesterday and the coral was all shriveled up like it had been disturbed. He normally plumps up to about 4 to 5 inches. I thought it might have been warfare since it was sandwiched between a large scoly and an acan colony. Moved the brain coral away and put my camera on him. He plumped up nicely this morning until the damsel started picking at it! To my knowledge, he has never done this to any other coral in the tank. The damsel has been in the tank since setup 18 months ago, but the brain coral was just added 2 weeks ago. Why is he doing that? What can I do to keep him from picking on the coral?!

Butthead Damsel's first attack this morning...

Another...

And the most recent attack...

Where I originally put the brain coral...

2018-03-10_11-27-57.thumb.JPG.37ba203ee4e0ea851ef4f9e39eecd736.JPG

This damsel grows huge and turns ugly, just return him/give him back to LFS is all you can do. Google shows other posts of people having similar issues with this particular damsel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

This damsel grows huge and turns ugly, just return him/give him back to LFS is all you can do. Google shows other posts of people having similar issues with this particular damsel.

I'm finding the same info. Crap. He's got to go! The wife isn't going to be happy. She brought him home as a surprise when our first fish jumped. 

burtbollinger
51 minutes ago, dawz2 said:

as a surprise 

sometimes suprises are bad :)  that damsel gotta go ASAP...I'd cover that brain with some sort of protection until you can get him out.

• Thanks 1

Either put the fish in a breeder box until you can return it or slice a 2 liter bottle in half, rinse it out, and place the top part of the bottle over that coral with the cap off (like a little plastic shield). Keep the 2 liter bottle shield for individual coral feeding in the future if you have a fish that insists on robbing the corals of a good feeding. ;)

3 hours ago, OPtasia said:

Either put the fish in a breeder box until you can return it or slice a 2 liter bottle in half, rinse it out, and place the top part of the bottle over that coral with the cap off (like a little plastic shield). Keep the 2 liter bottle shield for individual coral feeding in the future if you have a fish that insists on robbing the corals of a good feeding. ;)

That’s a great idea, but too late! That little bastard was a turd to catch, but I got it done. He went to a friend's 90 gallon.