Pod Your Reef

need help ORBIT light

Nightmarepl21

Nightmarepl21

current setup 
10gallon tank 20L/12H/10W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTK7CQ/ref=twister_B00YTXD58I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

just purchased the orbit light 19-24 inch and trying to figure out the best way to set this up for getting some beginner coral soft thinking like mushrooms zeos torches things like that

trying to figure out how much light i would actually need 

Sunrise how much red green white and blue
daylight
nightlight

and if anyone is well experienced with it how to set it up properly for this to grow coral 
ive been told that the orbit wont work very well but ive seen them in stores and few peoples tanks and its been working great for them.

I run a current usa marine led and i have been able to support and grow a variety of corals. On my 10 gallon i run 75% blue and 60% white from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm. I also do a 30 minute sunrise and sunset. I run the moonlight for 2 hours on a very low setting. It is a good light for the price but their are better options for higher prices. I like it because it looks sleek and doesnt heat my tank up. PM me with any questions.

The colour combo is really up to what you like. Anywhere from 10k - 20k spectrum will work.

Reds and greens should not be on high percentages. Reds can burn corals.

Many like blue far higher than whites. Like 80%blue to 20-30% white.

Others like the spectrum 50/50

It depends on how white you want it or if you prefer a bluer look with coral colour pop.

If you want fluorescence from corals- more blue than white.

• 10 months later...

I just purchased an Orbit LED Marine light for my Evo 13.5 tank and I’m a beginner, and I haven’t the slightest freaking clue what settings to put this thing on, but I’m willing to try any advice. Also, can you program it to automatically go into moonlight or does it simply do On/Off? The instructions aren’t written in crayon for me 🤦🏽‍♀️. I’m a person that needs stuff spelled out simply, the first time. 

I love these lights. I have the newest pro version on my 12 gallon long and it’s divided into three sections for programming:

morning ramp up,

daylight and

Evening ramp down.

I’ll post my settings and the full instructions in just a few. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

925B6C34-EE64-420A-83C3-9299E1C86943.thumb.jpeg.e0e5331ab8dbe2aeb979cb31ca50b905.jpeg

This is the pic of the default settings.

The most basic adjustments would be to set your on time first. Then the light ramps up (sunrise) for an hour and a half. Then you set your off time and the light powers down (sunset) for an hour an a half. 

You can adjust the different colors under daylight, sunrise, sunset. 

Under Daylight Settings I run:

90% Blue

30% White

100%Red

30% Green

I haven’t had this version of the light that long so I am still tweaking my settings. 

• Like 2

See that’s the problem- it’s not turning on automatically even though I set the sunrise and sunset times, and color options. It didn’t come on at all this morning, so the tank got to sleep in. Every time I run through the settings on the Loop thing, it shows my times are in there, so I’m just frustrated because it isn’t actually doing what it’s supposed to. Since I turned it on today, it’s at least run the weather pattern without my asking it to, so maybe, MAYBE it will run the sunset pattern like it’s supposed to tonight 🤞🏼

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

See that’s the problem- it’s not turning on automatically even though I set the sunrise and sunset times, and color options. It didn’t come on at all this morning, so the tank got to sleep in. Every time I run through the settings on the Loop thing, it shows my times are in there, so I’m just frustrated because it isn’t actually doing what it’s supposed to. Since I turned it on today, it’s at least run the weather pattern without my asking it to, so maybe, MAYBE it will run the sunset pattern like it’s supposed to tonight 🤞🏼

Are you hitting Enter after putting in your values? 

Yes. It seems to accept what I tell it to do, it just doesn’t do it. Rather like my 7 and 9 year old boys 🤔. I just changed the light spectrum to your recommendation for daytime light and it did bring out the corals- thank you!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nursecop818 said:

Yes. It seems to accept what I tell it to do, it just doesn’t do it. Rather like my 7 and 9 year old boys 🤔. I just changed the light spectrum to your recommendation for daytime light and it did bring out the corals- thank you!

Strange. Hopefully it will get it together! If not they will help you get it sorted out. 😊

Ive found them to be pretty good lights for the cost. This time I got the wave pumps and the Bluetooth controller....... so far so good on both. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nursecop818 said:

there is one weird/illogical step that you must do for programming to stick.  you have to read and follow the full instruction.  when I programmed mine, the color would be right temporarily, then changed back to default after an hour or whatever the timeout period was.  or that the fixture would stay on rather than going thru the ramp up/down.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

there is one weird/illogical step that you must do for programming to stick.  you have to read and follow the full instruction.  when I programmed mine, the color would be right temporarily, then changed back to default after an hour or whatever the timeout period was.  or that the fixture would stay on rather than going thru the ramp up/down.

Interesting-I do have a habit of skipping to what's important to me. Maybe I did that somehow and that's why it's not reacting like it should. I'll wait and see if it turns off correctly tonight before I bust it back to factory settings. As I said, it's running the weather pattern today like I programmed in last night, so perhaps it's going to run the program from here on out without any fuss.

• Like 1

I think I finally figured it out, after watching the instructional video on the light. The instruction manual states that to program sunrise/sunset you hold for 5 seconds on that button, set the colors then hold for 5 seconds again, which shows E2. Then you set moonlight. Mash that button for 5 seconds, set the colors and mash it again for 5 seconds which is E3. But after that, you have to hit and hold the SUNRISE/SUNSET button for 5 seconds, then enter to return to timed program. As soon as I figured that part out, which was only shown on the video, and not on the downloaded instruction manual, it worked!! Started running the sunset down to moonlight without any issues. So I'll see in the morning if it's still behaving, but I THINK I have it worked out finally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

I got mine in the mail today...this setting situation has me terrified lol. 

I finally got mine working without issues, and the Eflux wave pump too. It's been super nice having it automated, and my kids LOVE the thunderstorm weather patterns. Which is why I had to get this particular light in the first place. So I'd say so far, I like the light/pump combo and it's been working out well for me.

• Like 1