SaltCritters.com

JustinReef IM nuvo 25

JustinReef

On 3/28/2018 at 10:51 AM, JustinReef said:

Not a big update but I did end up with a new Nuvo 25... Last Friday I couldn't decide if I should silicone the chip and use the aquarium or go ahead and buy a new one. I was going to think a bit more about it and decide on Saturday but when my girlfriend picked me up after work on Friday, there was a large box in the car. She had gone to the shop and bought a replacement aquarium to surprise me! She is reallllly amazing! 

So now I have 90% of it set up. I will take pictures soon but here is how it looks now. Cycling. 

IMG_5730.thumb.JPG.14daccbf1245b4c9ab8758b4679ae26f.JPG

She sounds nice but be warned...

AF03ED99-954A-4DD9-9167-E089136584F4.gif

00D5AD1E-7233-4C18-A816-677DDC6A3611.gif

8042C56F-F145-4045-8F32-E17F243055A3.gif

• Like 1
JustinReef

I haven't gotten around to taking any photos recently so here is one from a month ago. Things have changed quite a bit since then, added more corals, redid the aquascape a bit. 

The tank gets a lot of sunlight throughout the day, looks pretty cool. 

I am hoping to replace that fan soon with something...smaller...

IMG_6648.thumb.JPG.8d356a507606c34b9ed3b2a64b7c8653.JPG

JustinReef
18 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

She sounds nice but be warned...

AF03ED99-954A-4DD9-9167-E089136584F4.gif

00D5AD1E-7233-4C18-A816-677DDC6A3611.gif

8042C56F-F145-4045-8F32-E17F243055A3.gif

source.gif

But not only is she a sweetheart, she is incredibly hot so....

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Kellie in CA

I have about 3/4 of a box of Marine Pure Bio Spheres (2 quart box) in the back chamber (s) of this tank. They have been there since I started the tank. The idea was to use less LR in the display which I have but I actually still want to use even less. I actually have no idea how many pounds of rock I have in the tank but it's not a lot. 

My question is, how effective are these spheres? How much LR can this amount replace? In theory could I remove most of the rock (not that I want to) slowly and still have enough surface area for bacteria?  

EDITED:   SORRY!  Thought I hit QUOTE.  The above is what I was responding to. 

I'm curious about this too.  I have only about 10  pounds of rock in my Lagoon, and a bag of Bio Spheres in one of the chambers. 

So far, so good.  I'm loving the negative space! 

• Like 1
JustinReef

The tank gets a lot of natural sunlight throughout the day, it's pretty cool but also means it's like seeing it under a 10k bulb most of the time. 

It's been a bit of a "meh" start to this aquarium. Nothing has really been terrible but also not great. Coloration of the sps is pretty "meh" as well (don't judge by these pics). SPS growth is actually really decent considering it's a new aquarium. 

I picked up a red planet frag about a month and a half ago, since then it has encrusted well on the live rock and doubled in size...but I noticed last night it now looks like it may be getting eaten! I have not seen any pests on it but I also have not looked that hard yet. 

So far there are two clowns (sorry, not good with the fancy names) and a PJ Cardinal in the tank. 

A month ago the nitrates were up around 20ppm. Since I have been very impressed with the Tunze skimmer, I felt it was worth trying some vinegar dosing. Following the recommended dosage, I am 2 weeks in and nitrates are around 10ppm. Will post some pics soon of what this little skimmer pulls out of the tank, it's impressive for a nano skimmer. 

IMG_6915.thumb.JPG.895721a5c93cf4b92f55687fadd018ed.JPG

IMG_6917.thumb.JPG.452070084545b6bfe45873c2115c2292.JPG

Very clean build. I love the simplicity of the stand. My favorite is its height. I'm not a tall dude, but I hate bending down to stare at a reef.

JustinReef
26 minutes ago, xtra0t said:

Very clean build. I love the simplicity of the stand. My favorite is its height. I'm not a tall dude, but I hate bending down to stare at a reef.

Thanks! I actually would have gone slightly higher for a shallow tank like this. 

I think the door may have warped a little. I never noticed until I looked at these pictures but it looks strange! 

On 5/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, Kellie in CA said:

I have about 3/4 of a box of Marine Pure Bio Spheres (2 quart box) in the back chamber (s) of this tank. They have been there since I started the tank. The idea was to use less LR in the display which I have but I actually still want to use even less. I actually have no idea how many pounds of rock I have in the tank but it's not a lot. 

My question is, how effective are these spheres? How much LR can this amount replace? In theory could I remove most of the rock (not that I want to) slowly and still have enough surface area for bacteria?  

EDITED:   SORRY!  Thought I hit QUOTE.  The above is what I was responding to. 

I'm curious about this too.  I have only about 10  pounds of rock in my Lagoon, and a bag of Bio Spheres in one of the chambers. 

So far, so good.  I'm loving the negative space! 

Sorry for the late response.  BRS did a video on this last year.  TL/DW:  They fouled up their own test (LOL).  It looks like it should be a decent option though.  Here's the timestamped video: 

JustinReef
6 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Sorry for the late response.  BRS did a video on this last year.  TL/DW:  They fouled up their own test (LOL).  It looks like it should be a decent option though.  Here's the timestamped video: 

Thanks! Still not too sure if I will remove more rock or not but this is helpful anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a very exciting update. I realllllly need to get a camera that can take actual coral/fish photos, my phone can't get anything good. 

Anyways, I read a lot of mixed reviews on the Tunze DOC 9001 Skimmer when I was looking into what skimmer I would try for the Nuvo 25. It's been...3 months now and I can confidently say I am very impressed with this skimmer. 

I feed pellets every day or two and mysis once a week, if I remember. Overall, not a heavily stocked tank (two clowns and a PJ Cardinal) and I do not over feed. I have never been into skimmerless tanks and this is why...

This is what it's pulled out of my tank in the past 4 days.

IMG_7204.thumb.JPG.d3c0cbe8767a16f698be98b537fa910f.JPG

IMG_7206.thumb.JPG.03e8dc2158075c1826665eb2f5bddd6e.JPG

I found the skimmer took a good few weeks to break in and needs a very steady water level (most do) but otherwise I am never adjusting it. I just have to clean it a few times a week. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, JustinReef said:

I haven't done a very good job updating this build. The tank cycled for about 3 weeks and then I added some snails, a cleaner shrimp and a few hermit crabs as well as some sps frags. Everything is doing well, the sps have been in the tank for a week now and look ok. I will try and avoid adding too many corals until I see how these ones do. 

Under the stand: 

IMG_5992.thumb.JPG.da8150bb1a479e96641dd09f17992992.JPG

The only thing I have not set up yet is the Neptune DOS. I am not in much of a hurry since I do not have many corals yet. 

I found the ATK was a bit of a pain to install in a nano tank but eventually figured it out. I decided not to use the Tunze skimmer for now, I can always go back to using it later on. 

IMG_6016.thumb.JPG.60cc754589f98b95ec71a81824336330.JPG

Here is how the tank looks as of now

IMG_6010.thumb.JPG.d4bce3ffa869916c590ef32218145cc8.JPG

Thanks for looking!

@JustinReef hey man I just came across your build, I have the same tank its been up for 6 ish years and I am going to be going out of town for a while. I just ordered the Apex EL controller and wanted to use the ATK auto topper as well but was concerned that It wouldnt fit in the back. Can you help me understand if it will fit and what you had to do to make it work? It looks like you took off the float? Thanks in advance!!!