SaltCritters.com

JustinReef IM nuvo 25

JustinReef

23 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Nice build, looking forward to it. Do you have an ATO picked out? 

Hey, thanks. Yes, I have the Neptune ATK. I haven't really figured out how I will use it yet, I know I have to remove the mechanical float valve or else it will not fit in the back chamber of the aquarium. 

I'll probably add some of the Neptune leak detection devices to make up for removing the float valve, just in case the electronic sensors fail. 

• Thanks 1

For flow, I have replaced the stock pump with two Eheim 1000's, I get the feeling these may be too much for the overflow to keep up with but I can turn them down if needed. I will also be using a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040. Unlike the majority, I don't like Vortech's much...I find the large dry side to be an eye sore hanging off the aquarium. I really like that I can hide the Nanostream behind some rocks, it's so tiny. 

I'm really impressed with the flow from the Nanostream so far! 

IMG_5634.thumb.JPG.47a28aee0bed5513d60b422a5cf72538.JPG

• Like 3

Small update. Moved the live rock into the display tank. Sand next. Hopefully the rest of my equipment will arrive by tomorrow and I can get everything set up on the weekend. 

IMG_5657.thumb.jpg.e08c5ce2e3270cdcac2ca148ec787799.jpg

IMG_5653.thumb.JPG.2be204dd083382b5481fa0a0028a0135.JPG

• Like 1

Interested to see how the lagoon works out for you!  I have been considering one to set up as a frag tank- I like the AIO features and clean look to them.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, vu.dao said:

Nice updates! Not sure if it was mentioned before, what are your plans as far as livestock?

Mixed reef but mostly SPS I think. I want to keep everything in a scale that works well with the aquarium so I will probably stick to really small fish. I'm not totally sure yet, this could all change once the tank is cycled. 

One thing I have always tried to do is buy aqua cultured coral and captive bred fish. So this may end up limiting what I can keep but I'm fine with that.  

Ugh... found that the tank was not quite level so I drained it and while leveling, my level tapped the corner. I mean just tapped the corner gently but this happened. Not too sure I feel comfortable in a condo with a chip in the glass. I believe it might be fine structurally but since I worry way too much about stuff like this, I will replace the aquarium. This hurts...

IMG_5678.thumb.JPG.5b3f357e9b098d38a21a847712231c32.JPG

IMG_5679.thumb.JPG.97daef0c66104f0c339415520ab9f295.JPG

21 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Should be just fine, it looks like a chip at the top where there will be very little water pressure. Sorry that happened though :(

I worry about the fact that it run down the silicone about an inch. It looks like it's just on the surface still but I am no expert with this stuff. 

I was debating just using some silicone on the chip but I am not sure if I will feel too comfortable with this aquarium now. If I was in a home and not a condo, I would keep this tank for sure. I really don't know how to determine if it would be ok or not. 

The glass is thick and tbh they used a lot of silicone compared to my Mr Aqua. My Mr aqua does not appear to have any silicone on the inside like these tanks, just between the glass only. I actually dislike how much silicone IM uses, wish it was cleaner like the Mr Aqua's or Aquamaxx. 

Still if you think it will keep you up or make you enjoy the tank less because of worry, than I would just replace is as tanks should not be a source of stress!

1 hour ago, jpluttme said:

You could try Bondic, or get some silicone and reinforce the inside edge along the crack where you really won't see it.

Good idea. From the inside you can't see the crack but I could put some silicone there for piece of mind. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

The glass is thick and tbh they used a lot of silicone compared to my Mr Aqua. My Mr aqua does not appear to have any silicone on the inside like these tanks, just between the glass only. I actually dislike how much silicone IM uses, wish it was cleaner like the Mr Aqua's or Aquamaxx. 

Still if you think it will keep you up or make you enjoy the tank less because of worry, than I would just replace is as tanks should not be a source of stress!

I agree, when I was looking at this tank I actually did not like the amount of black silicone they use. 

I don't really want to spend the money on a new aquarium but I think I will worry too much if I keep this one. I agree, shouldn't be a source of stress! 

Not a big update but I did end up with a new Nuvo 25... Last Friday I couldn't decide if I should silicone the chip and use the aquarium or go ahead and buy a new one. I was going to think a bit more about it and decide on Saturday but when my girlfriend picked me up after work on Friday, there was a large box in the car. She had gone to the shop and bought a replacement aquarium to surprise me! She is reallllly amazing! 

So now I have 90% of it set up. I will take pictures soon but here is how it looks now. Cycling. 

IMG_5730.thumb.JPG.14daccbf1245b4c9ab8758b4679ae26f.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Texasrob said:

Have u hooked up atk yet. I have same set up and atk on order

Yes, I have been really busy but I will update with pictures soon.

I haven't done a very good job updating this build. The tank cycled for about 3 weeks and then I added some snails, a cleaner shrimp and a few hermit crabs as well as some sps frags. Everything is doing well, the sps have been in the tank for a week now and look ok. I will try and avoid adding too many corals until I see how these ones do. 

Under the stand: 

IMG_5992.thumb.JPG.da8150bb1a479e96641dd09f17992992.JPG

The only thing I have not set up yet is the Neptune DOS. I am not in much of a hurry since I do not have many corals yet. 

I found the ATK was a bit of a pain to install in a nano tank but eventually figured it out. I decided not to use the Tunze skimmer for now, I can always go back to using it later on. 

IMG_6016.thumb.JPG.60cc754589f98b95ec71a81824336330.JPG

Here is how the tank looks as of now

IMG_6010.thumb.JPG.d4bce3ffa869916c590ef32218145cc8.JPG

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1
On 3/28/2018 at 10:51 AM, JustinReef said:

Not a big update but I did end up with a new Nuvo 25... Last Friday I couldn't decide if I should silicone the chip and use the aquarium or go ahead and buy a new one. I was going to think a bit more about it and decide on Saturday but when my girlfriend picked me up after work on Friday, there was a large box in the car. She had gone to the shop and bought a replacement aquarium to surprise me! She is reallllly amazing! 

So now I have 90% of it set up. I will take pictures soon but here is how it looks now. Cycling. 

IMG_5730.thumb.JPG.14daccbf1245b4c9ab8758b4679ae26f.JPG

Awwwww, that's an awesome GF.

• 1 month later...
mitten_reef
On 4/16/2018 at 1:46 AM, JustinReef said:

IMG_6010.thumb.JPG.d4bce3ffa869916c590ef32218145cc8.JPG

This setup is looking really good!  You should update with some new pics!

Bringing my response over from your wave pump/flow thread, so ppl see context/content of your tank. 

Basically, if you can't readily see if there are any dead spots in the tank, chances are you don't have any right now.  Judging by how you have the scape set up, the open areas look really nice.   I think it'd be a while until you need to worry about any dead spots at present rockscape.

JustinReef
18 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

This setup is looking really good!  You should update with some new pics!

Bringing my response over from your wave pump/flow thread, so ppl see context/content of your tank. 

Basically, if you can't readily see if there are any dead spots in the tank, chances are you don't have any right now.  Judging by how you have the scape set up, the open areas look really nice.   I think it'd be a while until you need to worry about any dead spots at present rockscape.

Thanks! 

Yes, I have been terrible with updates!

I changed this aquascape a week ago as I started to add more and more corals. 

Updates coming soon 🙂

JustinReef

Still have not taken any pics, so this is not much of an update but I have a question. 

I have about 3/4 of a box of Marine Pure Bio Spheres (2 quart box) in the back chamber (s) of this tank. They have been there since I started the tank. The idea was to use less LR in the display which I have but I actually still want to use even less. I actually have no idea how many pounds of rock I have in the tank but it's not a lot. 

My question is, how effective are these spheres? How much LR can this amount replace? In theory could I remove most of the rock (not that I want to) slowly and still have enough surface area for bacteria?