Top Shelf Aquatics

Starry Night - My 20G Long

FLARGUE

Welcome everyone, to my little 20 gallon experiment. My goal is to keep this tank low tech!

I'm currently running this tank with an Aquaclear 50 (Purigen & filter floss) and Radion XR30 lights at 30%. There's also an EHEIM Surface Skimmer and a small Powerhead.

Current inhabitants are a Tail Spot Blenny, Spotted Mandarin, Chromis, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Fighting Conch, and various members of the cleanup crew. Next will be to add a black and white Clownfish.

Maintenance consists of 5 gallon water changes every week, with regular vacuuming of the sand bed. This has kept the water surprisingly clean. So clean in fact, i'm having trouble getting my macro algae's like dragon's breath to grow. I feed every other day with Ova Prawn Roe and occasionally pellets.

I've been tending to this tank since August 2017. Growth has been slow but fun to watch. I just started target feeding my corals with ReefRoids, and a couple weeks in, the tank is already starting to explode with growth. I'm centering the color scheme around a set of triadic colors: turquoise, maroon, and gold. These will anchor the tank's design, and from there I can add accent colors such as scarlet, green, and violet. The live rock has an interesting shape and flow, and creates an awesome base for my design. The end goal is to have a great blend of color and texture, with a mix of zoas, soft corals, and lps corals.

I keep track of my finances pretty meticulously, and so far I have about $1500 in the setup. I'll probably put in another $500, before all is said and done. This tank is in excellent shape after 6 months, and i'm excited to see how it progresses. 

IMG_3917.JPG

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to provide an update on my tank. My inhabitants at this time include a green Mandarin, Tail-spot Blenny, Black Clownfish, and finally a Talbot's Damsel.

The Talbot's Damsel was added last, and it's thrown some chaos into my tank. It has been feuding with my Clownfish, and after 10 days they seem to have settled down, and established territories ok'ed with each other.

Surprisingly enough, the Tailspot Blenny will strongly defend himself and has proven to be a tough little bastard. He will go jaw to jaw with the damsel, and I've never seen him back down.

tank.jpg

• Like 1