Coral Vue Hydros

Boston Bean Fish?

FLARGUE

There also known as cowfish and tend to grow quite large. They live in brackish water but can be acclimated to saltwater. DO NOT KEEP IN A SMALL TANK they will die. 

I saw one on  a video In  the wild.. it was eating off the bottom and picking at what looks like tiny invertebrates. I think a  large well established tank with a good supply of pods and a sand  bed will be important. 

Everything i've heard about cowfish is that they get very large, but i'm not 100% convinced its the same species. There's many pictures of longhorn cowfish online, and maybe this is just a juvenile, but from what I could find, the juveniles already have their horns. Time to keep digging, thanks everyone for the advice!

On 3/15/2018 at 4:56 AM, jambon said:

I saw one on  a video In  the wild.. it was eating off the bottom and picking at what looks like tiny invertebrates. I think a  large well established tank with a good supply of pods and a sand  bed will be important. 

Dude those things dont eat copepods... They are voracious predators like a puffer. I fed mine whole large shrimp even when it was just 2 inches long it would destroy a shrimp.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:42 AM, FLARGUE said:

Everything i've heard about cowfish is that they get very large, but i'm not 100% convinced its the same species. There's many pictures of longhorn cowfish online, and maybe this is just a juvenile, but from what I could find, the juveniles already have their horns. Time to keep digging, thanks everyone for the advice!

Juvinile ostracion cubicus perhaps?

http://www.diverosa.com/Lembeh 2008/IL3-022 juvenile Yellow boxfish, Ostracion cubicus.html

http://www.diverosa.com/categories/fishes_Ostraciidae.htm

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I had a boxfish/Boston bean in a tank with a baby Christmas wrasse.  The wrasse loved flipping the small abalone shells I had on the bottom of the tank and the boxfish loved to watch.   It was so adorable I bought some tiny abalone shells for him and the next thing you know was flipping his new shells with gusto.  They would often do it together.  So "flipping"  cute.  

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have questions about the boston bean cowfish, how big do they grow and what is their species? Thank you, and if you have experience or photos please share

less than bread
15 hours ago, Omar361 said:

Hello, I have questions about the boston bean cowfish, how big do they grow and what is their species? Thank you, and if you have experience or photos please share

I'm finding they can grow well over a foot in length. Scientific name is Ostracion Cubicus