ReefCleaners.org

20 Gallon Hexagon Tank Light/ Glass Lid?

RyanShore

I am going to setup a fowlr tank in my 20 gallon hexagon. But I would like to find something decent for a lighting unit. I dont want to go crazy expensive because it is only a fowlr (~100 or less.)
Or I could just get a bulb for the current hood I have; but I really dont know the type of bulb to look for. I want something that will be nice and bring out the colors in my fish and crow coralline if possible.
ALSO 
Could I get a glass lid for it from somewhere??? I would like to do this, but dont know if anyone sells them anywhere at all.

Christopher Marks

It should be possible to find a glass lid for your 20 gall hexagon, they used to all be that way, but I think in more recent years the lids are only made of plastic.

A reef spectrum PAR38 LED bulb would work just fine, many are quite affordable. You won't really need or want anything too powerful though, since you're not planning to keep coral. Alternatively, a simple reef spectrum florescent bulb would be very practical.

Take a photo of the bulb in the current hood and perhaps we can help you find a suitable replacement.

I was able to make a netting lid for my 20g Hex by buying window screen corners made for those hexagon windows. Had to order them online but they weren't expensive. 

14 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

It should be possible to find a glass lid for your 20 gall hexagon, they used to all be that way, but I think in more recent years the lids are only made of plastic.

A reef spectrum PAR38 LED bulb would work just fine, many are quite affordable. You won't really need or want anything too powerful though, since you're not planning to keep coral. Alternatively, a simple reef spectrum florescent bulb would be very practical.

Take a photo of the bulb in the current hood and perhaps we can help you find a suitable replacement.

It is a 14 inch t12 that is currently in there.

https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/philips-141507/?source=GooglePPC-ProductAds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkKPVBRDtARIsAA2CG6EL4wDvGmH-3dVJAkFhqvXEDd-SeDOzW3p5GxG0JrI2U66-njrBmh0aAolaEALw_wcB

that one to be exact. I cant find any of the same size for aquariums. I am considering trying to find an led strip that will go in its place