Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frozen seafood recommendations for BTA?

Kontactk

I have been feeding my BTA a little piece of frozen shrimp weekly. It accepts food from me but hasn't been looking as healthy as it was when I first purchased it. I'd like to feed it a good diet so I am looking for recommendations for: 

1) best types of seafood to feed it

2) a good feeding schedule (BTA is about 2in in diameter)

3) any particular brands that I should look out for

I'm asking for brand recommendations  because I initially purchased a bag of frozen shrimp to feed the anemone. Since I only used one shrimp to feed the anemone, I cooked with the rest and realized that the quality was pretty bad (not very fresh tasting and also tasted of chlorine). 

tdannhauser30

I feed my Long tentacle omega 1 whole alaskan shrimp. I break them in half because they are big  but they are his main diet. Also squirt him with mysis and whatever else I am feeding my corals when  I do. He also grabs a lot fish food. He is close to the size of a dinner plate now, and while its not a bubble tip I would imagine yours would eat the same stuff. If he is smaller you cant go wrong with PE mysis.

Mine is about 1.5-2” as well and i’ve been feeding it frozen PE Mysis about 3x/week. 

Also, I let it thaw in RODI water, throw that water out, and soak it in tank water. This elimates adding unnecessary nutrients to the tank. 

• Like 1

UGH! Bad shrimp, Blech.

I use LRS once a week to feed my whole tank. The BTA's grab what they can. Throughout the week I feed pellets, oyster feast and coral frenzy, not on any particular schedule. The BTA's get some of all of these. One of them is getting ready to split again, so I think they are pretty happy and healthy.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Just out of curiosity, what makes PE mysis shrimp better than other brands? It seems to be a favorite in the hobby. I have a pack of Bio-Pure mysis that I have been feeding. Is it that big of a difference?

tdannhauser30

The nutrients in pe mysis are like out of this world when compared with other mysis brands.. Sont remwmber off top of my head but i think pe mysis protein level is like over 50 percent and whatever your using is ptobably closer to like 12 or 15.. They are also much physically larger than your average mysis shrimp, not really sure why this is.. Maybe a diff species? But reguardless the bigger size of them would also be better than the common  little ones for your bta.. Go online on look up pe mysis crude protein and compare to whatever you are using

I have 7 BTA's in my tank and I feed them a quarter cube of mysis shrimp twice weekly. midweek I just feed the shrimp, but on the weekend (usually just before a water change) I will mix in some reef roids to the tank water that is de-thawing the shrimp. They have really responded to this feeding schedule!

RayWhisperer

When I had them, I always fed 1/2 a silverside 2x week. Didn’t even bother thawing it beyond a minute, just to get the outermost flesh soft. They grew like weeds and split often. Size seems important to them, though I don’t know why. Anything larger than 1/2 would be regurgitated by the nems, regardless of their size. Even my biggest (about 15” across) would reject more than 1/2 a fish.

squamptonbc
2 hours ago, Kontactk said:

Thanks for the input, everyone! Just out of curiosity, what makes PE mysis shrimp better than other brands? It seems to be a favorite in the hobby. I have a pack of Bio-Pure mysis that I have been feeding. Is it that big of a difference?

I feed PE mysis for a few reasons.

1. It's a British Columbia based company and I live here. They do all their harvesting from a glacier fed lake in BC and they have a quick harvesting process ensuring minimal loss of nutrition.

2. They are larger and for larger fish make more sense.

3. If I put in both PE Mysis and Hikari in at the same time the fish go after the PE Mysis and will spit out the Hikari, tells me they prefer one over the other.

4. Hikari mysis are a product of China and i will not feed any foods (fish, human, dog etc) that are sourced from China.