Top Shelf Aquatics

IIX|EVO13.5

Illuiix

Got my intank media cartridge and jbj refugium light last week!

I went to amazing aquariums and reefs this past Saturday and calikid corals but calikid was closed.

40149363985_395e062ae3.jpg

So I decided to come back on Sunday and met the owner, Ben Shapiro!!!

What a store it was, filled with too many eye candy and high end corals

40149385675_9f0c4beed5.jpg40149386925_1c82572fa9.jpg

39959861420_581e0e2a3a.jpg40149364045_2288d78fe3_z.jpg

Videos!! Below

40333938754_67b9e2331b.jpg39233627400_8a68edc76f.jpg26171566347_eb81b50367.jpg

Ben hooked me up with a calikid shirt too!

His website in case u guys are interested in looking his eye candy stuff!

https://www.calikidcorals.com/

https://www.instagram.com/calikidcorals/

https://www.facebook.com/calikidcorals

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update! I bought a small jawbreaker mushroom with lots of red, hopefully it will become something as beautiful as its mama...yes I saw that mama in person...and yes it was not for sale..

27435909148_e52927c157_c.jpg

And I went to amazing reefs and aquariums in orange, ca today..

The pair has spawned babies in this video.

26436251797_c5a1eedc54.jpg41265662862_7dbc57f06d.jpg  41265691752_d40a441bce.jpg

baby cowfish chilling in this video, Sunburst anthias chilling in this video

40412912655_cf155ce10e.jpg

the harlequin chilling on the toadstool in this video

Cali Kid Coral looks pretty awesome, I like visiting store that's full of eye candy. I'll put that on my list of stores to visit.

Also, you doing another shroom tank again? 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

Cali Kid Coral looks pretty awesome, I like visiting store that's full of eye candy. I'll put that on my list of stores to visit.

Also, you doing another shroom tank again? 

Yes!!! U have to check out calikid corals!! Soo many eye candy stuff... it’s insane bro. Best lfs I ever come across I’m soo fkin glad he’s only 15min away. But u have to call the store to make sure it’s open. I literally go there every week just to see his stuff cus I can’t afford it ther s too many high end corals there. He doesn’t rly have too many basic corals tho. His name is Ben too ahah.

and nah I’m not doing a shroom tank, I’m planning on getting a candy basslet, a black storm clownfish, some photosynthetic gorgs, some nice corals attached to rocks, like zoas or lps iono yet. I will have a few mushrooms but that’s it lol. Let me know when u going to calikid I’ll see u there lmfao

4 minutes ago, benjho said:

Yes!!! U have to check out calikid corals!! Soo many eye candy stuff... it’s insane bro. Best lfs I ever come across I’m soo fkin glad he’s only 15min away. But u have to call the store to make sure it’s open. I literally go there every week just to see his stuff cus I can’t afford it ther s too many high end corals there. His name is Ben too ahah.

and nah I’m not doing a shroom tank, I’m planning on getting a candy basslet, a black storm clownfish, some photosynthetic gorgs, some nice corals attached to rocks, like zoas or lps iono yet. I will have a few mushrooms but that’s it lol. Let me know when u going to calikid I’ll see u there lmfao

Yea, it's like another RR or SC store but with more consistent hours.... Sounds expensive though, especially if it's coming from you lol.

But yea I'll eventually check that place out, kinda wish they're open in the early afternoon though.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

Yea, it's like another RR or SC store but with more consistent hours.... Sounds expensive though, especially if it's coming from you lol.

But yea I'll eventually check that place out, kinda wish they're open in the early afternoon though.

They r open in the early afternoon u jus have to call them to make sure they open haha. It’s wayyy better than sc or rr lmfao. Wayyy better !!! Ull see. The tanks r brand new lit wit rly nice lights. And he’s fairly priced not overpriced like bsa corals or sc lol. Ull like it imo isn’t it close to u too? It’s in Whittier, use Yelp to call them.

56 minutes ago, benjho said:

They r open in the early afternoon u jus have to call them to make sure they open haha. It’s wayyy better than sc or rr lmfao. Wayyy better !!! Ull see. The tanks r brand new lit wit rly nice lights. And he’s fairly priced not overpriced like bsa corals or sc lol. Ull like it imo isn’t it close to u too? It’s in Whittier, use Yelp to call them.

Cool, I'll give them a call. I'll just take a look at them, not planning on buying since my tank will be pretty full soon. I kinda miss SC though, he did have nice acans or other LPS

Is BSA local though? I thought that place is out of state.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

Cool, I'll give them a call. I'll just take a look at them, not planning on buying since my tank will be pretty full soon. I kinda miss SC though, he did have nice acans or other LPS

Is BSA local though? I thought that place is out of state.  

Yea don't need to buy anything there ahah, I only go there to look too but its worth the trip man, I b there for hours just drooling. Cali kid corals way better than SC. Haha how did SC go out of business lmfao. Yeah BSA is in texas or AZ I forgot... but he might be at CFM? I just met someone on ig who has a bunch of jb and bounce mushies from BSA and he grew em to mama sizes, I srsly can't wait to see his stuff in person...I will take pics of his stuff soon lol and upload it here.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjho said:

Yea don't need to buy anything there ahah, I only go there to look too but its worth the trip man, I b there for hours just drooling. Cali kid corals way better than SC. Haha how did SC go out of business lmfao. Yeah BSA is in texas or AZ I forgot... but he might be at CFM? I just met someone on ig who has a bunch of jb and bounce mushies from BSA and he grew em to mama sizes, I srsly can't wait to see his stuff in person...I will take pics of his stuff soon lol and upload it here.

Lol yea I'll definitely check it out. I just visited Unique Corals and Vivid Aquariums, both have a lot of SPS eye candy (not you're thing) but both has some awesome shrooms and Unique Corals has a crazy bright $800 gonipora that requires sun glasses. 

SC went private I think. I do see him in other reefer's instagram though so he's still around. I still have one of his acans I bought from him lol.

I'm meh about Bounce and JBs, I'm all about shooms with texture or cool coloration, like this one: 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, xthunt said:

I think there’s a Fluval somewhere in this Cali Kid thread. I wanna see the tank!

Well there’s not much in the fluval rnow lol. U can see the fluval on the 2-3rd post of this page. ?

5 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

Lol yea I'll definitely check it out. I just visited Unique Corals and Vivid Aquariums, both have a lot of SPS eye candy (not you're thing) but both has some awesome shrooms and Unique Corals has a crazy bright $800 gonipora that requires sun glasses. 

SC went private I think. I do see him in other reefer's instagram though so he's still around. I still have one of his acans I bought from him lol.

I'm meh about Bounce and JBs, I'm all about shooms with texture or cool coloration, like this one: 

I lost interest in bounce mushies. I’m all about og jawbreakers or tie dyes. I don’t like electus either Lolol. I can’t wait to see this dudes collection in person tho...he has purple monsters, candy crushes, electus and og jawbreakers but all mama size. He said he’ll hook me up wit babies too! Ahah I can’t wait for cfm too!

i rly want a candy basslet tho.. calikid Ben will help me get 1

12 hours ago, benjho said:

I lost interest in bounce mushies. I’m all about og jawbreakers or tie dyes. I don’t like electus either Lolol. I can’t wait to see this dudes collection in person tho...he has purple monsters, candy crushes, electus and og jawbreakers but all mama size. He said he’ll hook me up wit babies too! Ahah I can’t wait for cfm too!

i rly want a candy basslet tho.. calikid Ben will help me get 1

Yea, OG Jawbreaker/Tye Dyes are pretty awesome looking, if they only get that crazy purple streaks. Still wouldn't a lot of $$$$$$ for it though. For me, non-named rhodactis > named shrooms (unless I got them for a steal). Still, kinda crazy to see those shrooms that's bigger than 3"+, you're hyping me up about that store lol.

Damn, Candy Basslet? This tank is going to be a baller nano.

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Red_Blenny said:

Yea, OG Jawbreaker/Tye Dyes are pretty awesome looking, if they only get that crazy purple streaks. Still wouldn't a lot of $$$$$$ for it though. For me, non-named rhodactis > named shrooms (unless I got them for a steal). Still, kinda crazy to see those shrooms that's bigger than 3"+, you're hyping me up about that store lol.

Damn, Candy Basslet? This tank is going to be a baller nano.

Yeah I like candy basslet a lot so gotta get me 1. No the store doesn’t have any mama size jb, electus or purple monsters. It’s a friend I just met on ig who has a mama collection which I’m hoping to see in person someday soon... lol 

bounces r rhodactis too, but yeah I’m all about jb or td for mushies now. Hopefully I can score nice zoa paly colony on rocks at cfm... will be pricey but I gotta do it, don’t rly want frag disks or plugs in the tank lol. I wanna get photosynthetic gorgs too. And a gold hammer coral, octospawn.

i haven’t went to vivid or unique yet, I gotta check em out soon too, but probably after cfm lol

Yea, you'll definitely find zoa rocks. VW Reefer generally sells giant rocks of zoas under $40 (from what I remember from seeing last time I saw them at a farmer's market). 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

Yea, you'll definitely find zoa rocks. VW Reefer generally sells giant rocks of zoas under $40 (from what I remember from seeing last time I saw them at a farmer's market). 

nice zoas? I don't rly want the basic ones haha. I'm hoping for some nice ones B)

I might be going to vivid next Saturday cus the guy wit crazy mushroom collection is letting me see his stuff this coming Saturday and its close to vivid haha.

Let me know when u wanna go calikids so we can meet there ahah. And meet at  CFM in 3 weeks, it's gonna b lit!

17 minutes ago, benjho said:

nice zoas? I don't rly want the basic ones haha. I'm hoping for some nice ones B)

I might be going to vivid next Saturday cus the guy wit crazy mushroom collection is letting me see his stuff this coming Saturday and its close to vivid haha.

Let me know when u wanna go calikids so we can meet there ahah. And meet at  CFM in 3 weeks, it's gonna b lit!

Well, some  *local* guy was selling a giant ass rock of Blondies & UC for a decent price. I'm trying to find a nice and large frag of eagle eyes/radioactive dragon zoas and it's pretty hard lol.

If you're going to Vivid, you might as well check out California Aquariums, they're in the same area too. Also, check out Deep Blue Aquarium in North Hollywood too; they have a frag tank with 3"+ JBs and other nice shrooms.

If you're free on weekdays for Calikids lol. And man 3 week from now for CFM? Man time flies by. I bought tix from them last year and I remember that CFM is in May but didn't realize it's only in 3 weeks.....

11 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

Well, some  *local* guy was selling a giant ass rock of Blondies & UC for a decent price. I'm trying to find a nice and large frag of eagle eyes/radioactive dragon zoas and it's pretty hard lol.

If you're going to Vivid, you might as well check out California Aquariums, they're in the same area too. Also, check out Deep Blue Aquarium in North Hollywood too; they have a frag tank with 3"+ JBs and other nice shrooms.

If you're free on weekdays for Calikids lol. And man 3 week from now for CFM? Man time flies by. I bought tix from them last year and I remember that CFM is in May but didn't realize it's only in 3 weeks.....

Lolol alright I will def check those other lfs that day too. Nah I’m only free on weekends haha. But I’ll definitely see u at cfm haha I’ll be the asian wearing cali kid coral shirt, if u see me just be like Yoo it’s red blenny from nr ahahhaha

1 hour ago, benjho said:

Lolol alright I will def check those other lfs that day too. Nah I’m only free on weekends haha. But I’ll definitely see u at cfm haha I’ll be the asian wearing cali kid coral shirt, if u see me just be like Yoo it’s red blenny from nr ahahhaha

Yea, for sure dude. I'm mainly going to CFM for LC . If I do go to Calikids on the weekend, I'll let you know lol.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2018 at 8:07 PM, benjho said:

Update! I bought a small jawbreaker mushroom with lots of red, hopefully it will become something as beautiful as its mama...yes I saw that mama in person...and yes it was not for sale..

27435917478_b0d5019b06_b.jpg

I see your still into minimalism :lol: Nice looking shroom though!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I see your still into minimalism :lol: Nice looking shroom though!

HAHAAHAH My room is minimalist but no this tank will have a rockscape soon....I'm just waiting to spot 1 I like, hopefully CFM in 3 weeks will have a nice rockscape with corals attached to it already so I can just throw it in lol. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

Yea, for sure dude. I'm mainly going to CFM for LC . If I do go to Calikids on the weekend, I'll let you know lol.

Yoo I went to 3 stores today, California aquariums, vivid and deep blue. California Aq has some nice stuff but not as good as calikid corals..not worth the drive either ahah, but I did see some zoa/paly colony rocks (rastas, and other named zoas/palys) but it had bubble algae or aiptasia....red flag for me lol. I'm hoping CFM will have some for me..jus 3 more weeks man!! till I really have a rockscape in the tank. I bought a gorg today from California aq, but thing is it might be nonphotosynthetic....he told me he wasn't sure if it was photo or not, so he went to research it and said most likely sure it's photo....o well if it dies on me, $50 gone lolol

Vivid and deep blue didn't have anything nice imo. I'm sooo glad calikid is only 14min away from me, and it's the by far best lfs I've ever witnessed in life. I'll post some pics when it gets to next page.

10 minutes ago, benjho said:

Yoo I went to 3 stores today, California aquariums, vivid and deep blue. California Aq has some nice stuff but not as good as calikid corals..not worth the drive either ahah, but I did see some zoa/paly colony rocks (rastas, and other named zoas/palys) but it had bubble algae or aiptasia....red flag for me lol. I'm hoping CFM will have some for me..jus 3 more weeks man!! till I really have a rockscape in the tank. I bought a gorg today from California aq, but thing is it might be nonphotosynthetic....he told me he wasn't sure if it was photo or not, so he went to research it and said most likely sure it's photo....o well if it dies on me, $50 gone lolol

Vivid and deep blue didn't have anything nice imo. I'm sooo glad calikid is only 14min away from me, and it's the by far best lfs I've ever witnessed in life. I'll post some pics when it gets to next page.

Vivid is good if you're an acro or euphyllia junkie. Deep Blue, it's not bad. CA Aquarium, I want their rainbow fungia lol. My fav LFS is Ellis Aquatics in Compton & Bob's Tropical in MPK.  

I hope your gorg works out for ya though. If I remember correctly, Calikid is just a drive over that hill behind your house lol.

And you're totally hyped about CFM, I'm still not sure if I'm going/have time for it. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red_Blenny said:

Vivid is good if you're an acro or euphyllia junkie. Deep Blue, it's not bad. CA Aquarium, I want their rainbow fungia lol. My fav LFS is Ellis Aquatics in Compton & Bob's Tropical in MPK.  

I hope your gorg works out for ya though. If I remember correctly, Calikid is just a drive over that hill behind your house lol.

And you're totally hyped about CFM, I'm still not sure if I'm going/have time for it. 

Calikid ben told me CFM is a good event, lots of vendors ahha. I'll check out ellis and bob's soon then, 

I live in a diff house now ahah, smaller 1 story but it's better imo, more convenient for the lazy guys like me lol.