Innovative Marine Aquariums

IM 14g Peninsula

NanoTrav

4-26-2018

IMG_20180426_134754_85.thumb.jpg.aab21b29c7d44981b8faf77524801f29.jpg                         

4-12-2018 First corals added

IMG_20180412_130624_78.thumb.jpg.5253e46c71c318c4fa094510f4f6ecc7.jpg      

Current Livestock:

Cleaners:

2 Margarita Snails 

4 Nassarius Snails

3 Cerith Snails

1 Banded Trochus Snail

1 Blue Leg Hermit

Fish:

Green Clown Goby RIP 😥

Corals:

Hellfire Acan

Looney Tunes Acan

Rainbow Monti

Toxic Fuzzy Shroom

Reddish Brown Shrooms (this was a freebie gift)

Neon Green Montipora Digitata

Green Caulastrea

Macro Algae: 

3 Shaving Brush Plants

4-11-2018 (new final scape, I hope)

IMG_20180411_102816_26.thumb.jpg.ad7ec705be43602d45c245d54091ec23.jpg

So after much deliberation with myself, I decided to get back into this hobby after about 7 years. I wasn't in the hobby for too very long so I would consider myself somewhat new still. My plan is to have just this ONE 14g tank and THAT'S IT. I have my own home and a tad more money. Maybe I can maintain a very nice little tank. 

Equipment:

Innovative Marine 14g Peninsula

IM APS Stand (I couldn't get it stable enough on my floor/carpet. Very bummed about buying it. Using a stand I already had.)

Nanobox Mini Tide Plus M ( Nanobox is busy, I have to wait a bit for light)

Sicce Syncra silent 1.0 pump

Sicce Voyager Nano Stream 530 gph changed to 270 gph version

Auto Aqua smart ATO micro

Cobalt Aquatics Neo Therm Heater 75w

Aquatic Life 4 stage RODI

Refractometer and TDS meter (new for me this time around)

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

20lbs Arag-Alive Figi Pink Sand

BRS Dry Rock: Only ended up using a few pieces. I want a simple scape.

Fish:

Single green clown goby. I wanted one before, going to get it this time.

Coral:

Mostly mixed. Nothing that will overgrow the tank. No GSP! Want to try a couple SPS later.

I spent a lot of money for this little tank!

IMG_20180306_195248.thumb.jpg.b81e354a5c3ce85de8a63d0596879e01.jpg

Bub is ready. This is why I need a sturdy set up.

IMG_20180308_154732.thumb.jpg.aea0b4dad9ee01ae4cc92c1f66567515.jpg

IMG_20180312_091929.thumb.jpg.7b0bcbe5647c1b369d7e864a507a3b78.jpg

IMG_20180312_092054.thumb.jpg.5a379d6825ce6f4791e92f5af98fed36.jpg

• Like 1
StephLionfish

Welcome to NR, you're off to a great start! I feel you on the stand; I had to secure mine to the wall, which totally made scrubbing the algae off the back wall from the outside of the tank impossible. But, that's carpet. 

Following along :happydance:

Will your Nano-Box get to you by the time you've cycled the tank?  You will be able to do just about anything you want with that equipment. Are you planning to use the filter sock that came with the IM or upgrading to a media basket. I started out with an In-tank media basket in mine but I think it fits a little too tight and I had to change the filter floss out daily it it would cause a back up and my ATO would  work overtime trying to keep up and mess up my salinity. IM makes one specifically for this tank and maybe it would be better, IDK.  I now use the filter sock, but have to change it out every 3 days or the same thing happens. Otherwise I absolutely love this tank.

3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Will your Nano-Box get to you by the time you've cycled the tank?  You will be able to do just about anything you want with that equipment. Are you planning to use the filter sock that came with the IM or upgrading to a media basket. I started out with an In-tank media basket in mine but I think it fits a little too tight and I had to change the filter floss out daily it it would cause a back up and my ATO would  work overtime trying to keep up and mess up my salinity. IM makes one specifically for this tank and maybe it would be better, IDK.  I now use the filter sock, but have to change it out every 3 days or the same thing happens. Otherwise I absolutely love this tank.

It will be a couple weeks for the light. I'm still waiting on the ammonia I ordered. I heard people like to cycle without lights so I figured I could get it done while I wait. I bought the media basket, fish guard and mesh lid kit along with everything. I have floss in 2 of the chambers at the moment. Seems to be running good.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I've had the same issue with my inTank media basket.  I've stopped using filter pads/floss altogether and just have some Chemipure Blue in my media basket to keep it from clogging up on a daily basis and causing my tank to overflow.  I've been debating purchasing the IM media basket to see if its loser fit prevents that issue.  Good to know I'm not the only one running into this problem!

Lovely new set-up and the kitty is adorable!  He looks excited to have a tank to watch!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Felicia said:

I've had the same issue with my inTank media basket.  I've stopped using filter pads/floss altogether and just have some Chemipure Blue in my media basket to keep it from clogging up on a daily basis and causing my tank to overflow.  I've been debating purchasing the IM media basket to see if its loser fit prevents that issue.  Good to know I'm not the only one running into this problem!

Lovely new set-up and the kitty is adorable!  He looks excited to have a tank to watch!

Let me know if you get it. Hadn't considered running without any mechanical filtration. Might have to try it

7 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Let me know if you get it. Hadn't considered running without any mechanical filtration. Might have to try it

As long as I skip the mechanical filtration and make sure my media isn't blocking too many of the flow holes in each shelf, then I don't have the issue.  People typically think a tight fit for a media basket is better because it forces more of the water to flow through your media and mechanical filtration.  I agree with that, but when the basket is so tight that you get absolutely no flow around the basket, it creates a risk of overflow as soon as your media/mechanical filtration gets clogged up (which is obviously going to happen because that's the purpose of media).  I think maybe I'll order the IM media basket on Amazon and give it a try.  Its only $25 and the reviews say it fits more loosely than the inTank basket.  I'll let you know how it works!  I've been fighting with this issue for a while, so thank you for inspiring me to give the other media basket a try.

• Like 1

Hi all! I just started an IM 14 gal too. I have the upgraded IM media baskets from my prior nuvo. They are definitely a looser fit than the intank baskets (I’m able to place a magnetic JW thermostat just behind it in the same chamber), able to use filter floss in the top basket and have never had a flow issue. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Genie382 said:

Hi all! I just started an IM 14 gal too. I have the upgraded IM media baskets from my prior nuvo. They are definitely a looser fit than the intank baskets (I’m able to place a magnetic JW thermostat just behind it in the same chamber), able to use filter floss in the top basket and have never had a flow issue. 

Good to hear!

looking good so far. 

btw, i thought your cat was in the tank..i had to take a second look! i was thinking right away, "that can't be good for your filter"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Genie382 said:

Are you going to do a thread on your new 14? :) 

• Like 1

I'm attempting to return the stand to Dr Foster and Smith. I'll see what they do for me. I'm a little nervous about the fact that I picked the tank up with wet rock and sand in it. I only picked it up for a few seconds to transfer it to the stand next to it. Have people done this much? Ever hear of any leaking later on?

3 hours ago, NanoTrav said:

I'm attempting to return the stand to Dr Foster and Smith. I'll see what they do for me. I'm a little nervous about the fact that I picked the tank up with wet rock and sand in it. I only picked it up for a few seconds to transfer it to the stand next to it. Have people done this much? Ever hear of any leaking later on?

You should be fine.  I've picked up and carried tanks with rock and sand and a bit of water in them on multiple occasions and never had an issue.

I haven't been able to start my cycle yet. The little bottle of Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride is taking 9 days to get here. I should have ordered from BRS ugh.  I live right between BRS and Doctors Foster and Smith so the free shipping only takes 1 or 2 days :D. Light will hopefully be only another week. I've been stalking Dave Fason and he seems to have a huge work load. Got my mesh lid and auto top off installed. The ATO was a learning experience. Had the air break connection OUTSIDE the fresh water container. When it started spraying everywhere I panicked and unplugged the unit. Well the output hose was submerged in the tank so it reversed and started draining the tank into the little ATO resevoir! Wet carpet :blush: I learned my lesson. It's working nicely now. Also did some cable management. Everything is ready!

IMG_20180316_162104.thumb.jpg.6ceef458280b472caeaf955cd7974285.jpg

IMG_20180316_162124.thumb.jpg.b23aec481478d30aae2b57b33f670d35.jpg

• Like 2

Finally started the cycle last night with DrTim's Ammonium Chloride and Fritz bacteria. This morning the Ammonia is 3 ppm, Nitrite 2 ppm, and Nitrate ~5 ppm. My first tanks I just cycled with live rock so these are pretty high numbers for me, but that's ok right? Once Ammonia and Nitrite are gone it would mean I have plenty of bacteria to handle livestock.

31 minutes ago, da1001 said:

If in doubt, just wait til the pods show up.  ;)

Would be difficult for them to show up is the OP is doing a chemical cycle 

Segalplayer
On 3/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Felicia said:

As long as I skip the mechanical filtration and make sure my media isn't blocking too many of the flow holes in each shelf, then I don't have the issue.  People typically think a tight fit for a media basket is better because it forces more of the water to flow through your media and mechanical filtration.  I agree with that, but when the basket is so tight that you get absolutely no flow around the basket, it creates a risk of overflow as soon as your media/mechanical filtration gets clogged up (which is obviously going to happen because that's the purpose of media).  I think maybe I'll order the IM media basket on Amazon and give it a try.  Its only $25 and the reviews say it fits more loosely than the inTank basket.  I'll let you know how it works!  I've been fighting with this issue for a while, so thank you for inspiring me to give the other media basket a try.

Woah how long are you letting your media go without changing it?

I mean the inTank media racks are the bomb and water does still go around the unit not to mention you get a removable shelf. While yes they do get clogged as an media would, that’s where your husbandry comes into play is it not?  I’ve been using it for almost a year now and have never had my tank overflow from media, seems silly to me and I run 2 flosses up top and two on bottom. 

If you really don’t want a caddy look or am scared it’s top tights a fit there is the filter floss holder by inTank. I use a bunch of their products and just installed the universal surface skimmer. All their products are great and do the job excellent.

Finally got my light yesterday. I may be getting my green clown goby Thursday or Friday (cycle has been done for a couple weeks). I need to learn how to set up my lighting schedule. I'm a bit confused with the Bluefish app at the moment. There's more shimmer then I'd like. I have the diffuser but doesn't work as well as I was hoping. I don't like feeling dizzy when looking at my tank. I'm not sure how much I can cut the surface agitation down without messing with the oxygen levels. Also learning how to take pics with my phone and a camera app. My first try is up on original post :)

A few corals and maybe my goby tomorrow! I'm enjoying my nanobox so far now that I have it figured out. The moonlight is great. Can't wait to see corals under it.

IMG_20180411_102816_26.thumb.jpg.ad7ec705be43602d45c245d54091ec23.jpg

• NanoTrav changed the title to IM 14g Peninsula