Cultivated Reef

Somatic 60s Skimmer by Vertex.

squamptonbc

squamptonbc

I got fed up with the reef ocotpus skimmer that I had initially bought for my red sea reefer 170 so I sold that one and decided to go with a Somatic 60s as it was cheaper then most of the othet brands and quality seemed good.

Nobody near me sells it so I asked my LFS if they could order one in and they did. Tool 2 weeks from the LFS ordering it to one arriving.

Its a big skimmer. 9 x 9 foot print and tall. But it fits well into the 170 sump.  

The 170 stand is plenty tall enough as well to remove the collection cup.

On day 1 I decided to run it in a bucket of saltwater and vinegar.

I installed it on day 2 and it ran 3 days like crazy mad and the collection cup cannot be installed during this time.

On day 4 it settled down. And I put on the collection cup and adjusted it and it started skimming.

Its set for a pretty wet skim at the moment. I am only doing small adjustments every few days until I find the best spot.

This skimmer is high quality and I could instantly notice the higher quality vs reef ocotopus which actually costs more.

It has an excellent price point for the quality.

The skimmer pretty much comes assembled with very little to do by the end user. Box to set up maybe 3 mins.

It runs a tad loud howevet this is an easy fix that I found on you tube and now its basically silent.

I would highly reccomend this skimmer over similiar ones like reef ocotpus.

The photo of the skimmate is first day it was skimming and before any adjustments were made. Its producing darker skimmate now.

20180311_172219.jpg

20180305_170827.jpg

20180305_170836.jpg

4 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

I got fed up with the reef ocotpus skimmer that I had initially bought for my red sea reefer 170 so I sold that one and decided to go with a Somatic 60s as it was cheaper then most of the othet brands and quality seemed good.

Nobody near me sells it so I asked my LFS if they could order one in and they did. Tool 2 weeks from the LFS ordering it to one arriving.

Its a big skimmer. 9 x 9 foot print and tall. But it fits well into the 170 sump.  

The 170 stand is plenty tall enough as well to remove the collection cup.

On day 1 I decided to run it in a bucket of saltwater and vinegar.

I installed it on day 2 and it ran 3 days like crazy mad and the collection cup cannot be installed during this time.

On day 4 it settled down. And I put on the collection cup and adjusted it and it started skimming.

Its set for a pretty wet skim at the moment. I am only doing small adjustments every few days until I find the best spot.

This skimmer is high quality and I could instantly notice the higher quality vs reef ocotopus which actually costs more.

It has an excellent price point for the quality.

The skimmer pretty much comes assembled with very little to do by the end user. Box to set up maybe 3 mins.

It runs a tad loud howevet this is an easy fix that I found on you tube and now its basically silent.

I would highly reccomend this skimmer over similiar ones like reef ocotpus.

The photo of the skimmate is first day it was skimming and before any adjustments were made. Its producing darker skimmate now.

20180311_172219.jpg

20180305_170827.jpg

20180305_170836.jpg

What did you do to make it quiet? 

squamptonbc
12 hours ago, jack1978 said:

What did you do to make it quiet? 

This guys video is where I got it. Towards the end of the video he shows how.