Coral Vue Hydros

Pure ammonia dosing (no perfume, no bubbles) raised pH to 8.6

Muffin87

I had been trying to get some level of ammonia into my tank with fish food for a while. Nothing. Undetectable.

So I resorted to dosing ammonia. Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride isn't available in Italy.

Instead I bought a bottle of pure janitorial ammonia, the bottle says "classic ammonia". No bubbles whatsoever. (The same brand had "classic ammonia" and "perfumed ammonia" so I'd assume the one I got has to pure ammonia)

After dosing for a while, I finally got a good ammonia reading 1.5.

I'm testing with salifert. Great.  HOWEVER, my pH got up to 8.6 IN THE MEANWHILE.

Anybody knows what is going on and how I can lower my pH?

Cycle:

Ammonia 1.5

Nitrite: 0.5 - 1

Nitrate 25-50

PH 8.6 !?!?

Don't worry about the ph.

Ph fluctuates through the day and is effected by photosynthesis and alk.

I'd focus on the cycling process. 

What rock did you use?

13 lbs of CaribSea LifeRock (dry rock with inoculated bacteria) +  just over 2 lbs of live rock

Are you sure I shouldn't worry about the pH? The pH just went off-scale (see pic)... Aren't the bacteria gonna die? Isn't everything on the live rock gonna die?

Thanks so much for the help! You are saving me, I'm freaking out a bit!

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4223.thumb.JPG.26d0e41458b2eea10b5f03cfb8a41cf5.JPGIMG_4219.thumb.JPG.3ceef93837d876ed5921ce9bdda9b62f.JPG

The tank is cycling.

Most biodiversity that was on the liverock will die from the ammonia dosing.

Ammonia dosing is for dry rock only cycling.

With liverock, it's best to not use ammonia. Let the liverock seed the other dry rock.

Chasing ph is one of the worst things to do as any remedy besides opening the window can cause consequences.

You have to test ph after lights have been on for hrs (afternoon and on) and at the exact same time of day.

12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Most biodiversity that was on the liverock will die from the ammonia dosing.

Can I get some biodiversity getting live rock after the cycle, or the bacteria from the cycle will be dominating?

Could I save some of the life on the live rock by adding bacteria in bottle and a water change?

The reason why people use liverock is to get all the critters from it. 

They also use liverock to have an easier and faster cycle. Sometimes there's no cycle with liverock as it's cured (established)

Some of the life from liverock develops in time whereas with dry rock tanks, some things need to be added, and some you never see.

My tank that was set up with dry rock has no coralline on the rocks, no sponges, had no brittle stars, but crap tons of spinoid worms (which I don't want)

My tank that was set up with liverock- sponges, coralline, brittle stars, lots of pods, ball anemones, and no spinoid worms.

You only have 2lbs of liverock. I'd continue as you have be gone. Let the cycle happen.

Don't add more live rock after your cycle... could cause another mini cycle. Don't add anymore ammonia as this defeats the purpose of live rock...

Don't test pH, who cares about pH. pH is effected by the carbon dioxide in the air... in your house. Dosing something for it would only cause a swing as it would still...eventually change based on the CO2 in your house. It will likely end up low pH tbh. 

• Like 1

Your commend for testing your parameters. But fretting over the tree, and not looking at the forest. So to speak. 

Let the tank cycle. The tiny organisms, and bacteria in the tank know what to do and when to do it. This is supposed to be a joyous, peaceful hobby. Not stressful.  Your just along for the ride ( your cycle )

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I just don't wanna crash my tank before it even starts.

Are bubbles expected if you dose ammonia?

Ever since I dosed ammonia yesterday I got some bubbles coming from the HOB filter.

The ammonia bottle didn't mention anything other than being "classic ammonia" and didn't create bubbles in the bottle.

I'm wondering if "classic ammonia" actually contained something that wasn't ammonia.

IMG_3266.jpg.89f829e4330e1cd81b15bcc49eed28a0.jpg