Muffin87

Cloudy water and "sand" in the sponge filter

Muffin87

I set up my 16G around 36 hours ago.

I had spent around one hour just rinsing the sand, but it might have not been enough.

My water is cloudy and I'm finding sand particulate in the sponge filter (that looks like sand particulate to you too right?)

What can I do about this? No magical product can help I suppose?

Thanks a lot!

IMG_4200.thumb.JPG.8ddfcc0f54dfff952b9f5f60b9b10acf.JPG

IMG_4195.thumb.JPG.956f168684e809d3081b93785871fe80.JPGIMG_4190.thumb.JPG.04542955a5290e7879d9a4664df30eac.JPG

Clown79

That's normal after setting setting up a tank.

You should ditch the sponge and use filter floss which is changed 2 times a week (more during cycling)

• Thanks 1

Muffin87

Thanks of the tip!

I've just stuffed the whole canister of the seachem fluval tidal 55 with filter floss up to the top.

Since the canister is completely full with filter floss, the waterflow from the seachem has reduced significantly, but hopefully this way the sand particulate will be absorbed quickly.

I ditched seachem matrix for now as I'm trying to get ammonia to start the cycle and the matrix media absorbs ammonia.

Clown79

You don't need to fill the whole box. Cut floss to the size of the sponge and place floss in the box.

After cycling you may consider bagging your own media like carbon and purigen to add with the floss.

Muffin87
11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You don't need to fill the whole box. Cut floss to the size of the sponge and place floss in the box.

I've cut the filter floss to the size of the sponge, so it doesn't impede the workflow.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I wouldn't know how to do this without the people on here!

Can I just wash filter floss, or does it just have to be tossed, once it's been in the water for a while?

I've seen some brands say their filter floss is "washable and reusable", while others don't say anything about using it again.

12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

bagging your own media

I really like nyos stuff. That fancy packaging just gets me hooked. Luckily nyos stuff tends to be a tad cheaper in Europe.

They seem to have an interesting variety of media. Like Nyos zeo.

Not sure if it's worth buying active carb from nyos, it might be an overkill. It seems like active carbon is one of those things that is gonna be the same whatever brand you buy.

Clown79
4 hours ago, Muffin87 said:

I've cut the filter floss to the size of the sponge, so it doesn't impede the workflow.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I wouldn't know how to do this without the people on here!

Can I just wash filter floss, or does it just have to be tossed, once it's been in the water for a while?

I've seen some brands say their filter floss is "washable and reusable", while others don't say anything about using it again.

I really like nyos stuff. That fancy packaging just gets me hooked. Luckily nyos stuff tends to be a tad cheaper in Europe.

They seem to have an interesting variety of media. Like Nyos zeo.

Not sure if it's worth buying active carb from nyos, it might be an overkill. It seems like active carbon is one of those things that is gonna be the same whatever brand you buy.

No. Washing floss won't clean it properly enough. It will become a nutrient factory just like sponge.

People by floss in bulk 

Not all carbon is equal. There are brands that are better than other for shape of product, dust, etc.