inTank Media Baskets

Rose bubble tip anemone with Kessil A80 Tuna Blue

dino

Hey guys I'm new to reefing, I would like to know whether the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue is sufficient enough when considering the lighting requirements of Rose bubble tip anemone? What I feel by doing some research on peoples experiences is that when it is supplied with moderate flow and the correct lighting it tends to keep its tentacles bubbles instead of stretching out, therefore trying to give it the ideal lighting conditions. Looking forward to know your experiences and suggestions, thanks.

Cheers,

DIno

MainelyReefer

Kessil a80 are best at illuminating tanks less than 10g and preferably less than 5g.  So what size tank is it you plan to use?  If it's a larger tank I reccomend a larger light too. More info needed on your setup 

7 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Kessil a80 are best at illuminating tanks less than 10g and preferably less than 5g.  So what size tank is it you plan to use?  If it's a larger tank I reccomend a larger light too. More info needed on your setup 

It's a 10g.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:10 PM, GraniteReefer said:

Any suggestions/advice mate?

MainelyReefer

AI Prime HD is 200$ and is a great light with a proven track record,  kessil a160 would be the right kessil for that tank but its price point is considerably higher than the AI's with arguably less amenities even when coupled with the kessil spectral controller, but the shimmer, the way the spectrum blends on a kessil is so nice.  Try getting 3w per gallon minimum as evenly distributed across the tank as possible.  With LEDs you always oversize the lighting unit as you just dim down the channels to what your tank needs, which I think is better for a light than say running the a80 at 100% all the time like I do on my 4g.

Segalplayer

I liked my a80 and kept a rock anemone under one under it for a while, I did just get a radion however for my 10 gal in prep for an upgrade ??. I used a controller with the a80 (90% blue/ 10% white was my highest peak) 

• 1 month later...
squamptonbc

If deciding between AI Prime and Kessil 160, I would go with the Kessil. AI lights are nice for sure, but the Kessils just produce a much nicer light in my opinion and the shimmer they produce just cannot be found with the AI lights.

I have AI lights and each time I see a Kessil lit tank, I wish I had made a different decision...lol

• Like 2
A Little Blue

Used A160 can be found on 2nd hand market for $150. I know bc I just bought one (and the guy included the arm/adapter which I don’t need)

Reefaddiction

Go with a kessil... you get what you pay for. It’s a little more pricey yes, but the shimmer is amazing and the aesthetics of the tank with this light is just beautiful.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2018 at 3:27 AM, dino said:

Hey guys I'm new to reefing, I would like to know whether the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue is sufficient enough when considering the lighting requirements of Rose bubble tip anemone? What I feel by doing some research on peoples experiences is that when it is supplied with moderate flow and the correct lighting it tends to keep its tentacles bubbles instead of stretching out, therefore trying to give it the ideal lighting conditions. Looking forward to know your experiences and suggestions, thanks.

Cheers,

DIno

I’ve been thinking about the a80 too. There’s a display at one of the better lfs around here that’s an im 10 with the a80 over it and it’s really nice looking. Also has one with the 160. The a80 one is almost all lps, and mostly euphyllia (spelling). Actually all the lighting in the store is kessil, they must have a deal I’m assuming because it’s THE lfs in the area and kessil hq is not far from here (San Jose).  Love the way those lights look with all the colors being so well blended. Let us know what route you take.