Cultivated Reef

Help me pick an "Upgrade" - IM 25 Lagoon or IM 30L

ChristopherDido

ChristopherDido

Hello Fellow Nano-Reefers,

So I came across an amazing deal today on both of these tanks, convinced my wife I can "Upgrade" from my JBJ Nanocube 28.  I am seeking out opinions on both of these tanks.  I currently have an IM Nuvo 20 in my classroom, so I am fairly familiar with how they work.

Why am I "Upgrading,"  really it's a personal liking of a "shallower" tank, I have a hard time with Maintenance in my JBJ Nanocube 28 because of how deep it is.  And I really want a little larger footprint, I really don't think I would feel good having larger than a 30 gallon in my house, we live in a house that is 125 years old and I'm not sure I trust the floor with that much concentrated weight on it :-)  

I am also probably going to need at some point some help on lighting, I have a few in mind already (I won't be doing much SPS except lower light things like Birdsnest and Stylaphora.)  But I will cross that bridge when it comes.  For now help me out... 

What do you like about both of these tanks if you have them, if you have had both even better!

Dimensions:

IM 25 Lagoon - 24in X 20in X 12in(H)

IM 30L - 36in X 15in X 13in(H)

I realize I will lose 4in in Depth on each one for the AIO filtration, but again I am used to that in the 20 in my classroom.

Help me out!  TIA! :D

Both are great, I have a 22g AIO and was thinking of a lagoon for my next. I guess I like both footprints :P Do you know where you are going to put the tank? I think that matters since you will want to make use of the 3 viewing sides on the lagoon.

If you can make good use of all 3 viewing sides, I would go for the 25. If the tank is going to be in a corner or near other furniture where you can't see every angle, I would pass as the 30 will give you more of a view straight on.

I am sort of choosing between the tanks myself, I really like the lagoon but trying to figure out where I would put it and get the most of it. The 30 has tons of great spots in my house.

Keep in mind lighting a 25 is easier but the 30 I believe has larger back chambers which means better options on skimmers, ect.

• Thanks 1
ChristopherDido
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Both are great, I have a 22g AIO and was thinking of a lagoon for my next. I guess I like both footprints :P Do you know where you are going to put the tank? I think that matters since you will want to make use of the 3 viewing sides on the lagoon.

If you can make good use of all 3 viewing sides, I would go for the 25. If the tank is going to be in a corner or near other furniture where you can't see every angle, I would pass as the 20 will give you more of a view straight on.

I am 

It will end up sitting in the same spot as the Current Nanocube.  Here's a couple pics... Ignore that we do not have a Dining table yet, that's a project for Spring Break (I'm a teacher.)  Where you see all the Water Jugs is where the Dining table will be going.  Just noticed with either one you get about the same amount of Display Volume.  Does that sound about right?

IMG_20180309_232039_640x480.jpg

IMG_20180309_232053_640x480.jpg

37 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

It will end up sitting in the same spot as the Current Nanocube.  Here's a couple pics... Ignore that we do not have a Dining table yet, that's a project for Spring Break (I'm a teacher.)  Where you see all the Water Jugs is where the Dining table will be going.  Just noticed with either one you get about the same amount of Display Volume.  Does that sound about right?

IMG_20180309_232039_640x480.jpg

IMG_20180309_232053_640x480.jpg

Yeah display area is about the same, just depends no the type of view you want. I like the ladders being re-purposed as bookshelves, very cool!

ChristopherDido
4 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

30L!

Do you have a link to a build that you did with the 30L... I'm leaning towards the 30L My one issue currently is the fact that it seems to lose 8 gallons of display water to the rear chambers.  You only seem to lose about 3 with the 25 Lagoon... I'm concerned that my current livestock would not all fit, what do you think.  Currently have a Rainsfordi Goby, 2 Clowns (Darwin and Picasso) and a Pajama Cardinal.

Thanks

• Like 1

That livestock should fit fine in either tank imo. They are appropriate fish who aren't crazy active like say and angelfish and appropriate sizes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef

Here’s my tank build:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/374445-micoasts-im30l-35-iphone-fts/?page=1

I totally get what you mean about the rear chamber taking up a lot of space and volume. But on the flip side of that, you’ll have more options with what can fits back there if you ever expand the filtration equipment.  And it’s very easy to perform maintenance with the extra room. 

I don’t think your fish will have any issue moving in to either of the tank. 

• Thanks 1

25 will be easier to light like mentioned.  fit this over packed biocube14 in the lagoon 25. Around 16-17# rock i think - the look and feel of the 25 is awesome IMO with an open rock structure. (day after move so everything is just tossed in the tank) 20# bag of new sand in the lagoon BTW

25358540_10211172114603154_7626776668499648260_o.thumb.jpg.e64966bbef522a1fafa4594845012adb.jpgIMG_4080.thumb.jpg.3f499fd1c9fe26f4cfe5a91e0245bab0.jpg

• Like 1

So I do not have either of these, but I do have a 30br as a display sump and the dimensions are pretty awesome.  

That being said if I ever downsized into an AIO tank I would probably get something with the lagoon dimensions.  I like having the depth.  One of the reasons is that I really like pukani rock so I usually just have 3 or 4 large pieces in the tank so having the depth is pretty important for the types of rock scapes I like.  

If you're upgrading from a biocube I say go with the lagoon unless you want to try something new and go with a wider tank.

ChristopherDido
17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have the 25g lagoon. I love it. I love the dimensions

Hey @Clown79 I've been trying to find your Lagoon Thread... Not finding it in Mobile. Can you link me to it? 

16 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

@Clown79 Nevermind! I found it... Took awhile going through your profile! Looks amazing!

Thank you.

Ya you can't see signatures on the mobile version unfortunately