Coral Vue Hydros

Sexy Shrimp v. Cleaner Shrimp

GenericReefer

Sexy Shrimp Pair or Cleaner Shrimp?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would be better suited for my tank (read post first, please!)

• Sexy Shrimp Duo
    • Cleaner Shrimp

GenericReefer

I really would like to add to my tank, some shrimp. It's pretty tantalizing to pick just one, so I'll ask the reefing community of what they'd think.

I really don't mind of what they "contribute" to tank and such (but will still take into consideration), but rather their "personalities" and care requirements.  Do have a couple questions about the shrimps, though.

A. Will they need to be spot fed? ( D: Can't do that on a daily basis)

B. Which is easier to care for in general and in the long term?

I know how trivial this entire post is, but I'd really like your input! 

Christopher Marks

I'm quite fond of cleaner shrimp myself, I'd say they bring a ton of 'personality' to a reef tank. They're also pretty hardy and are not picky eaters, no need to spot feed or anything like that. Most all shrimp are omnivore scavengers in fact, the sexy shrimps included. Sexy shrimp may bother or try to eat some of your polyps (zoanthids) though, they are perhaps a riskier choice by comparison.

• Like 5

Honestly I’d say it comes down to tank size. I love my sexy shrimp but in a tank much larger than mine they would probably be over looked. They have tons of personality though, I love their dancing. I think both are a good choice, just depends on tank size and inhabitants. Most fish besides Gobies will go after sexies. Mine do not require spot feeding, just drop some pellets in there and they’re golden.

My two cleaners lived in a fallow tank for three months, I only dropped in food once a week or so for them and the other cuc. They are so easy to look after and bring movement and personality to the tank. With their size, they can be a real star in a smaller tank. 

Only downside is their tendency to steal food from corals if you have any that need spot feeding. Can be a real pain trying to entertain them at one side of the tank whilst feeding nems etc. on the other. Having said that, there are ways around that too so on balance I would recommend cleaners to everyone 

• Like 2
GenericReefer

Stopped by my LFS and made a purchase. I'll keep what I chose a surpise until I send some good pics of it in my tank! Thanks for the input, guys!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I to was wondering the same for my small 10 gallon.  I think I will probably choose what you did!  The sexy's are very tiny and may be a problem to feed and it looks like watching the cleaners do their job would b just as entertaining..lol.  How is your choice working out so far?

• Like 2

ugh i hate my cleaner... i really do..

There are times when i want to just fish it out and make AmiEbi out of it. 

They learn quick how to get food.

They especially learn that they can pester the hell out of a coral and it will spit out its feeding for them to feed on. 

This will make you very PO'd when you spent 30 min feeding all your corals by hand, only to have a nasty cleaner go punk them to have them spit it all out.