Cultivated Reef

Fast Rock ?

RyanShore

I am starting out my first nano "reef" and want to know what type of rock would be ideal for a quicker setup. Obviously the tank still needs to cycle; however, I would like a rock that will not need to be cured for a long time. I don't plan on putting coral into the tank initially, FOWLR to begin. Having the rock be dry would be fine by me. The options I have seen are the following: Reef saver rock from BRS, Life rock from CaribSea, and Walt Smith Pukani Live Rock - Cured / Cleaned  from Premium aquatics. I also was looking at basic caribsea base rock as an option.

I just want to be able to set up the tank as fast and hassle free as possible. With the live sand helping a lot in getting bacteria to begin in the tank. I also will use bio spira to help kickstart the tank as well.

So far I will be setting it up in a 20 gallon hex tank. Using ocean direct live sand, a hob filter I have laying around (rated for 40g), and some cheap pumps.

I plan on stocking with:

2 clowns, a clown goby, and a firefish (and some snails and hermits)

HarryPotter

Sounds like you haven't even started yet and are being an impatient reefer! 

I would recommend ReefCleaners dry rock. No need to cure as it is totally clean. Nice and airy, only $2 a pound. 

• Like 1

Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to chime in to make sure you knew the difference between curing and cycling. 

If you use dry-rock (my favorite), you may or may not need to cure it depending your source. You will definitely need to go through a lengthy cycle process adding bioload very, very slowly in a step wise approach.

If you use live rock, you likely wont need to cure it, unless you got some really funky rock. The cycle time will be shorter, but will still need to occur. 

What I recommend (and what I am doing) is purchasing dry-rock (BRS Reef Saver) that does not need to be cured (like Harry Potter mentioned above), and then seed the tank with some well established live rock from a clean tank. Keep in mind I believe BRS Pukani does need to be cured, while BRS Reef Saver typically does not.  I am personally using BRS Reef Saver now and very happy so far (check out my build thread).

Another option would be to use "real reef rock" which I believe has some dormant bacteria that could speed up cycle.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to chime in to make sure you knew the difference between curing and cycling. 

If you use dry-rock (my favorite), you may or may not need to cure it depending your source. You will definitely need to go through a lengthy cycle process adding bioload very, very slowly in a step wise approach.

If you use live rock, you likely wont need to cure it, unless you got some really funky rock. The cycle time will be shorter, but will still need to occur. 

What I recommend (and what I am doing) is purchasing dry-rock (BRS Reef Saver) that does not need to be cured (like Harry Potter mentioned above), and then seed the tank with some well established dry rock from a clean tank. Keep in mind I believe BRS Pukani does need to be cured, while BRS Reef Saver typically does not.  I am personally using BRS Reef Saver now and very happy so far (check out my build thread).

Another option would be to use "real reef rock" which I believe has some dormant bacteria that could speed up cycle.

Yep! I do understand the difference. I know that the cycle process will be decently faster with live sand and some bio spira. I hope the dry rock will become seeded from the live sand, and plan on putting a few (2-3) pounds of live rock from my lfs. I think the cheapest method I have seen is the Reef cleaners stuff that Harry mentioned, looks like that would be the best option. I will get 15 lbs of that and then some live rock from the lfs.

Does everything else in the build seem good as well? I think that the reef cleaner rock will be my choice of rock. I want to make sure the filter and everything else seems good as well. I was considering getting a nice canister filter; but I feel like the hob I have will be enough with the live sand and the rock growing bacteria on it.

Hey Ryan, sounds like a solid plan in my opinion.

My only advice is in the HOB filter to just run filter floss at first for the cycle. No need to put anything special back there like carbon or chemipure yet.

I would definitely put the powerhead or pumps you mentioned in for the cycle. For a tank that size water change and biological (rock/sand) filtration are going to be 90% of your filtration strategy.

Good luck,

Hey Ryan,

I purchased 18lbs of BRS reef saver for my 16gal. I knowingly purchased extra to get the scape I was looking for. I only ended up using ~13lbs

I personally think you will be fine with 15lbs, especially if you are going to get another 5-8lbs of live rock from the LFS to seed the tank.

Also depends on what rock work you are looking to accomplish, and flow you will have. I think 15lbs will definitely get you on the right track. 30lbs would be way too much from Reef Cleaners.

A 'quicker' cycle set-up would be live rock not dry.

There will be hassles with either choice, just different kinds.

Even once the tank is cycled, go slow and add livestock slowly or you will likely screw yourself later.

• Like 2

As far as sand goes.. would ocean direct original or fiji pink be a better option? I like that ocean direct is more live; but it seems like it is more fine and may cause cloudy water ofteb.

Hey Ryan,

I got the Fiji Pink and I think its perfect. I am not a firm believer in live sand anyhow, and I am a biochemist as my background. I am willing to bet you you are getting a bag of sand with mostly dead bacteria, however I am sure there is some good bacteria in there. - I am relying on the BioSpira to do its job if anything.

That being said, I washed my fiji pink sand in Saltwater before I put it in my tank. Ran filter floss for day to clean up the fogstorm.

I recommend the Fiji Pink 100%.

Curious what others think as well, but I would buy Fiji Pink again in a second.

Check this out --> Seems like BRS has better intel than I do.

Awesome, So fiji pink it is!

So far I am getting fiji pink, reefcleaners rock, a hydor nano 425 pump, PENSON & CO. Salinity Refractometer, some bio spira, instant ocean salt, and an aqueon pro 100w heater.

I will use seachem prime to condition my water as well. I wont be putting coral in for a long while if at all.

Is there anything I am missing or should this be good?

Are you using RODI water?

Prime should always be on hand for emergencies but I don't know what you mean by 'condition' the water. Tap is an absolute no-no.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, RyanShore said:

Oh, yes! I forgot to mention I plan on buying this as well https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRDE170/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TX4YUK2VIRSQ&psc=1

I am mainly getting the prime for my freshwater thanks actually :lol:

Are there better options for rodi? or should that be the best cheap option???

Picking a RODI with nonstandard filter cartridges generally means higher cost replacements, more frequently, and limits you on your choice of filters (they are not all equal). In the long run it will cost more to use for less.

This would be MUCH better...

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

Liverock will give you a faster  cycle and more bio diversity.

Live sand isn't really live, it will not seed the dry rock.

Dry rock cycling is best done dosing ammonia and bacteria. This is the cleanest method.

For rodi. Spectrapure is great. They sell refurbished ones that are decently priced 

The nonstandard rodi units mean you are stuck buying their filters which can be limiting. 

Would you guys say the 240 gph or 425 gph hydor pump would be better for a medium flow (not to pick up sand)? Its a 20g hex shaped tank

Sorry for all the questions on this one thread.