SaltCritters.com

🐠🦐Stocking a 9 Gallon Drop-Off Tank 🦐🐠

CSreefer

Hey All I have been doing a lot of research into getting a new tank and I am looking for stocking ideas. Currently I am only looking for fish that eat pellets. My current idea is a firefish and 3 sexy shrimp, however I  am also interested in your thoughts! ?

• Like 1

That will work in a 9g.

There's also some other options.

2 clowns and shrimp

Clown + another fish

You will need a tight mesh top for the tank. Firefish are notorious carpet divers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That will work in a 9g.

There's also some other options.

2 clowns and shrimp

Clown + another fish

You will need a tight mesh top for the tank. Firefish are notorious carpet divers.

Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

People do lots of stupid things

I wouldn't consider it stupid if they are well cared for. Many of us have clowns in a 10g.

Hell there's people that have 4 fish in 10g

People are keeping fish in all sorts of tanks.

• Like 1

You could keep a pair of clowns in there, but eventually they'd need to be moved out IMO. A good minimum tank size for clowns would be a 20g as that's what most breeders use.

You could keep a firefish and another small fish in there, kinda depends what you want. There's plenty of small species of gobies and blennies that don't require sand that'll do well.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 1.0reef said:

You could keep a pair of clowns in there, but eventually they'd need to be moved out IMO. A good minimum tank size for clowns would be a 20g as that's what most breeders use.

You could keep a firefish and another small fish in there, kinda depends what you want. There's plenty of small species of gobies and blennies that don't require sand that'll do well.

Sounds good! Does anyone know anything. About aggression with firefish the threads are vague

Small bennies such as barnacle Blenny live among the rockwork, small gobys come in many different colors, yellow assessor, it depends on your L F S and what is available that suits your taste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had clowns in a 6g and 10g out of necessity for awhile. I didn't much care for it as there was lots of bumping into the glass and they used a good amount of space in my larger tanks (even though they had nems. I won't go as far to say it is cruel, just a bit unnatural feeling. It may have to do with clowns being so damn happy to see you. I don't remember my other damsel fish behaving that way.

Captive Bred ORA Yellow Assesor Basslet?

I had a yellow one years ago, they are peaceful/shy fish and not overactive like other bassets. Mine would swim upside down/sideways sometimes and hover a bit (normal behavior).

While they share the same nitch as a firefish, both fish are very peaceful and should work out but every so often you find that rogue fish that doesn't play by the rules. They get brighter yellow as they age, almost neon yellow eventually.

• Thanks 1