inTank Media Baskets

14g Nuvo with stand. On carpet, older home.

NanoTrav

This may seem stupid but I'm trying to set up a tank for the first time in my house. I've already put a board under the stand to help stabilize it, and it helped. However the water still ripples when walking by. Is this something I have to live with? I'd prefer it didn't move at all. I'm coming from a newer apartment on concrete slab so my last tank years ago was solid. Its plush carpet with new padding underneath, only installed a year ago. Will the tank settle into the carpet in time and be a little more stable? It does only ripple slightly, I've been kinda jumping near it to test the limits :D

IMG_20180308_152852.jpg.baae48508071010b1157b22eb3e9437b.jpg

If it’s level and firmly on the floor, that floor is flexing and something you will have to live with.  Nothing will be as stable as when you had it on concrete.  If it’s not level and wobbles, a larger piece of plywood may help, I think you did that.  If that carpet comes up easy you could pull it up and put the board underneath then put the pad and carpet on top of it.  

The water is level. I was nervous to buy the stand with it being tall and slim (but looks so good) I took a chance. Now I regret it. I want to use it though. Pulling up the carpet is an interesting idea! I'm not sure I want to risk messing that up though.

Not sure how far the corner of the room is from the tank, but the carpet in most applications is held in place with a tack strip.  If there is some play you can pull up the carpet from the corner until you get to that spot and put a larger piece of plywood or thinner board under then put it back.  Normally the carpet is wedged between the floor and t he baseboard which hold it in place on the tack strip.  There should be a youtube video on pulling up carpet that you don't want to actually remove. 

Here is one..

You need to check with a level, not with the naked eye to ensure it's level, if not use shims to level it.

The stand being to close to the boards will also effect it.

With time the carpet will depress with the weight of the tank. 

After I spent 2 days doing various things to make the stand work. And adding sand, rock, and water to the tank. I pushed the tank with one finger and it moved too much for my liking. I drained the water and transferred it to an old stand I had been using for a tv. I'm pretty upset with myself for spending the money on the nuvo stand now.