jaymar

Upgrade lights for Red Sea Max 130

jaymar

Hey everyone,

I currently have the Red Sea Max 130 with the stock lights running with two T5 55w PC Fluorescent 10,000K / Actinic, which is 50% super daylight and 50% actinic blue.

I want to upgrade the lights to something that is LED but doesnt require me to rewire my tank. I'm not a handy electrician so something that i can place in my hood of my Red Sea Max and replace my Current T5 stock lights.

the DIY LED kits look amazing, but there is no way ill set that up properly.

I saw the Current USA Orbit Marine, and was wondering if anyone has used that before?

I am open to suggestions as I'd really like to start growing corals and get some decent lighting within my aquarium.

Thanks for your help!

HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, jaymar said:

Hey everyone,

I currently have the Red Sea Max 130 with the stock lights running with two T5 55w PC Fluorescent 10,000K / Actinic, which is 50% super daylight and 50% actinic blue.

I want to upgrade the lights to something that is LED but doesnt require me to rewire my tank. I'm not a handy electrician so something that i can place in my hood of my Red Sea Max and replace my Current T5 stock lights.

the DIY LED kits look amazing, but there is no way ill set that up properly.

I saw the Current USA Orbit Marine, and was wondering if anyone has used that before?

I am open to suggestions as I'd really like to start growing corals and get some decent lighting within my aquarium.

Thanks for your help!

A NanoBox retrofit kit could possibly fit your needs, they come pretty assembled for you. Really sweet LEDs that will support any coral you want, with wireless control. I believe (for an additional cost) you can also send @DaveFason your lid for him to install the kit. 

Their site:

http://nanoboxreef.com

jaymar
2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

A NanoBox retrofit kit could possibly fit your needs, they come pretty assembled for you. Really sweet LEDs that will support any coral you want, with wireless control. I believe (for an additional cost) you can also send @DaveFason your lid for him to install the kit. 

Thanks Harry! as a student, that seems a little out of my price range, but they look beautiful! I only plan on growing GSP, Leathers and Mushrooms, have you heard about the Current USA Orbit Marine?

NanoAaron

I ran an orbit marine pro on my 130d along with two current lumen actinic blue strips and it grew my LPS and softies no problem! 

IMG_7600.JPG

• Like 1

jaymar
1 hour ago, NanoAaron said:

I ran an orbit marine pro on my 130d along with two current lumen actinic blue strips and it grew my LPS and softies no problem! 

IMG_7600.JPG

thanks NanoAaron!

how did you fit them all in your hood?

jaymar

what do you think about using the Aqua Illumination Prime HD LED on my Red Sea Max 130? id take out the lights and cut a hole on top so the fan can vent.

has anyone done this?

NanoAaron
35 minutes ago, jaymar said:

thanks NanoAaron!

how did you fit them all in your hood?

I didn't, I ditched the hood! liked the look better and it also helped keep everything nice and cool. 

jaymar
10 hours ago, NanoAaron said:

I didn't, I ditched the hood! liked the look better and it also helped keep everything nice and cool. 

awesome!

as a fellow Canadian, where'd you buy it that charged you CAD?

NanoAaron
18 hours ago, jaymar said:

awesome!

as a fellow Canadian, where'd you buy it that charged you CAD?

I bought it second hand off a guy from Craigslist :)