ReefCleaners.org

UNS 3n

HippieSquirrel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
HippieSquirrel

Hello all, it’s been a minute since I’ve been active here.  I figured I would let everyone know how things played out for this little venture now that I’m browsing all these wonderful tanks for inspiration again.  

Let me start off by saying this will be getting shut down within a month or so.. it never really got going, the swings were too great even when I was doing regular water changes.  I attribute this partly to using Red Sea coral pro salt.. one of the lessons I learned in my first year trying reefing.  I’ll be switching to blue bucket in the future.  I struggled with hair algae for a while but it finally died out - probably just new tank uglies.  However since then I’ve struggled with detritus and deadspots like crazy - couldn’t get the AC in the perfect spot, flow rate, etc so it didn’t create any and didn’t push water over the rim of the tiny tank.  70% of the zoas are still there but have shown little to no growth throughout the tanks life, honestly I’m surprised I didn’t lose more.  The goby has always been plump whenever I see it which also amazes me because I stopped feeding a couple times when I didn’t see it for a month+.  Saw a red flash of him/her just a couple days ago 😊.  

Overall the the main issue I had was spills.  I came home to the tank leaking 2-3 times for various reasons, one time the ato sensor got blocked and it over filled a bit, luckily the reservoir was tiny and almost empty when it happened.  One time the thermometer somehow was wicking water over the edge of the tank almost like a siphon.. I think it was possible due to a little salt creep, that happened over the course of a day almost ruining the desk and carpet.. water changes though small and fast were a pain in that location too.  

These are normal reef tank issues we have to deal with but it came down to not to not wanting to risk my pc (underneath the desk) for the tank.  I’d also rather focus my attention on my other tank and really advance my reefing skills before tanking on multiple projects again.  

I was excited about this and I think it had lots of potential but I just don’t think picos are for me.  I have so much more appreciation for all the people who have succesful picos and nanos.  

• Like 2