Pod Your Reef

Small Shaq's Fluval 13.5 Reef

Small Shaq

Okay, so I started this aquarium at the very start of 2018. Hoping to get some feedback and suggestions from this thread.

Equipment:

ADA 10 gallon rimless aquarium

Kessil A-360 WE light

Aquaclear Filter

Finnex Heater

Reef Glass Protein SKimmer

Smart ATO micro

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Everything looks really nice! Make sure to maintain that gravel over time, because if you don't keep it well vacuumed it can trap detritus and become a ticking time bomb 

• Like 1

Also where do you guys get flower anemones? All of the really nice reef tanks seem to have a lot of them but I can't get ahold of any.

HarryPotter

For the tank, I would personally apply a background of sorts. It would hide the wire and perhaps even brighten it up if you chose white. 

The aquascaping shows lots of potential for different types of corals ranging from LPS like hammer corals to SPS like montipora. You asked earlier about suggestions as to where to buy really nice corals: I would highly recommend Cultivated Reef. Beautiful corals, a site sponsor, and the shipping is $29.99 which is the cheapest of almost any vendor you'll find! They currently have a sweet special on Rasta Zoanthids; $5 for a polyp is awesome! They also have Rock Flower Anemones, although their WYSIWYG section appears to be empty. Im sure you could email them and ask for photos. 

Ive been eyeing their grafted montipora, http://cultivatedreef.com/product/item-52/

Their photos also seem much more "honest" to me than photos from other vendors that love to use blue LEDs and photoshop. 

Its past my bedtime, ttyl!

• Like 1
righttirefire

I like to paint the OUTSIDE back of my tanks black. I have tried white and wasnt happy with it. Let life play out for a while. I know its hard. But you have a good start. Develop a routine. This wont be your last tank, or setup. I eventually ran two ac50s on my original tank. 

• Like 1

My biggest question is...

Where should I place my current corals so that I can have a decent zoa garden, acan garden, monti caps, acros, my two chalices, and a frogspawn/hammerhead

I want to maximize diversity and organization of corals and makes sure that I have space for new corals to come!

In the end, im hoping for a tank with 1/2 sps, 1/4 lps/ and 1/4 softies

righttirefire
3 minutes ago, Small Shaq said:

Where should I place my current corals so that I can have a decent zoa garden, acan garden, monti caps, acros, my two chalices, and a frogspawn/hammerhead

I want to maximize diversity and organization of corals and makes sure that I have space for new corals to come!

Arent we all! Lol. I have my zoas on there own rock. I dont have chalices. My sps are on there own rock. And my RFAS and frogspawn are on a rock, by my frog needs to move too much flow it wont open.

Christmas Corals
3 hours ago, Small Shaq said:

Chalice, acans, and euphyllia would all thrive excellent mid way up the tank. You can even group the acans together, chalices, and certain lps euphyllias. This would create a very intriguing visual. acans can be bunched up together. I would give some space for the chalices. hammers do beautifully together. certain lps you may want to keep a distance. SPS would do the best near the top, this would also allow for you to group the corals midway up much better. your aquascape seems like its perfect for placing corals! you did a really beautiful job with this!! exciting! happy for you! sounds like you have a great idea! ??

shaneandjohn

Sancho nailed it, give your chalice space, and room to grow. The best advice I can share with a new tank is to be patient, move slowly with new additions, and give your tank time to stabilize. Looks like you are off to a great start ?

• Like 2
Christmas Corals

Thanks for taking an interest in my feedback through DM. Here's how it would look. The acans and chalices and LPS can moved around per section depending on aesthetics. I would keep the SPS on top and zoanthids near the bottom. Very beautiful setup! Hope this helps! ??

coral placement.jpg

• Like 3

@Christmas Corals thanks so much for the response! I had a couple of questions though. So, first of all, how do I have a lot of zoanthids on the gravel bed? Ordered rastas and sunny d's to add to my tank and am hoping for more high end zoos. Also, im thinking of bunching up a lot of flower anemones on the right side as I will be taking the rock out. And finally, do you think I would have room for a leptoseris near the bottom? Ive been eyeing a hobgoblin lepto for  awhile now. 

HarryPotter
On 3/9/2018 at 7:39 PM, Small Shaq said:

@Christmas Corals thanks so much for the response! I had a couple of questions though. So, first of all, how do I have a lot of zoanthids on the gravel bed? Ordered rastas and sunny d's to add to my tank and am hoping for more high end zoos. Also, im thinking of bunching up a lot of flower anemones on the right side as I will be taking the rock out. And finally, do you think I would have room for a leptoseris near the bottom? Ive been eyeing a hobgoblin lepto for  awhile now. 

“how do I have a lot of zoanthids on the gravel bed?” 

You dont? Unless you were saying “how do I get a lot of zoabthids on the gravel bed”, in which case you could buy zoanthids or give them time to spread. 

Rock flowers are really hard to move from their rock.

Re lepto: you tell me.  Is there a space where it wouldn’t touch other corals and has room to grow?