Coral Placement Help...

falcooo

Looking for suggestions in regard to specific corals and where to place them on my hardscape...

Since I am new to the reef world I will be starting off with mainly soft corals, mushrooms, leathers, and LPS.

Lighting: AI Prime HD

Front:

image.thumb.jpg.788b7011cab5065159457c104a06bcdf.jpg

Right:

image.thumb.jpg.28db75f30f87e58bcc037e9910843b79.jpg

Left:

image.thumb.jpg.49120acd832e998ccb85ac91ccf5a319.jpg

burtbollinger

something like this perhaps?  this is just a wild freehand guess as to what I'd do....it avoids green tank syndrome and is easy to pull off, provided you're monitoring your alk.  forgive me as we go more LPS here, crowning the tank with two super easy stylos to take full advantage of your AI Prime. (green & purple aquacultured ORA stylophora)

bright green torch (2 heads) = top left (or do a leather here?)

aussie gold torch = bottom left (1 head)

acan garden = middle left  (5-6 good small colonies)

purple stylo = top right  (super easy, and with an AI Prime, I'd def. go for it.)  (2" frag)

green stylo = middle right (super easy, and with an AI Prime, I'd def. go for it.)  (2" frag)

your choice = middle right...(your leather perhaps?)

frogspawn = bottom middle right  (3-4 heads)

flower anenome = bottom right

gsp = isolated, front middle  (i'd skip this and do Duncans)

do your mushrooms along the back right side....

tuck some orange bam bam zoas in the back middle...

run carbon.

5a9dee9c49ecb_ScreenShot2018-03-05at7_27_41PM.png.dbb2fbc96712a9e72b46f33df899aecd.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
18 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

something like this perhaps?  this is just a wild freehand guess as to what I'd do....skip the softies, go more LPS

green torch = top left (or do a leather here?)

aussie gold torch = bottom left

acan garden = middle left

purple stylo = top right  (super easy, and with an AI Prime, I'd def. go for it.)

your choice = middle right...(your leather perhaps?)

frogspawn = bottom middle right

flower anenome = bottom right

gsp = isolated, front middle

do your mushrooms along the back right side....

tuck some orange bam bam zoas in the back middle...

5a9dedeb1167f_ScreenShot2018-03-05at7_24_38PM.png.13b9fab558bc7ad61fc37258cdf43913.png

Wow. Home run man! I really appreciate the thought you put into that response. It’s extremely helpful with great ideas.

Torchs and acans both look really cool, and I hadn’t heard or read of either of those two so far. And the Purple Stylo is EXACTLY what I was in invisioning for that same location. But was told those type of branch looking corals are much more demanding.

burtbollinger
18 minutes ago, falcooo said:

Wow. Home run man! I really appreciate the thought you put into that response. It’s extremely helpful with great ideas.

Torchs and acans both look really cool, and I hadn’t heard or read of either of those two so far. And the Purple Stylo is EXACTLY what I was in invisioning for that same location. But was told those type of branch looking corals are much more demanding.

you just need to understand the importance of Calcium and ALkalinity....which you will need to know backwards and forwards anyway.

just move slow and READ.  then have a vision and stick to it....avoiding impulse buys at all cost.

pick a good salt mix (i use Fritz Pro), do weekly changes with water with matched parameters, and keep your parameters stable  (I keep my Alk. 8.5 - 8.9)....eventually keeping things in balance with simple manual 2 part dosing. (I use ESV Bionic...about 5 ML every other day)  its very easy in practice...especially once you make a 49 dollar investment in a Hanna Dkh checker...that would be the first thing you should buy IMO.

good light, appropriate flow, parameter stability....no rushing....dip everything....no unresearched purchases...no over crowding...no peppermint shrimp or anything weird...you're set.

Bump.

Just curious to hear more suggestions from what other experienced reef keepers would do as i am nearly at the point of adding corals (just waiting on my AI Prime to arrive in the mail).

First, find a LFS with a similar light rig to the one you're using (LED's). Corals tend to do better in the home aquarium if they've been held/fragged in lighting that best matches your own setup. 

Start with some hardy softies (mushrooms, leathers). Dip them. Inspect & clean them, then add them to the substrate of the tank in a low flow area for a few days to recover. When they look normal and stable for a day or two straight, move them slightly higher onto your rock work. If they look okay, expand fully, have nice color and show signs of good health, consider moving them to their intended spot. If not and they looked stressed, move them back down to the substrate. 

Once you're comfy with the softies, begin adding more difficult softies such as zoanthids, palythoa, etc.. Same regimen as above. Same with LPS and hardy SPS corals. 

• Like 1