Cultivated Reef

Thinking of Getting Back in to the Hobby. Best / Easiest Setup?

Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ

I'm thinking about getting back in to the hobby. It's been about 8 years or so.  I last had a 75 gallon tank that just got too overwhelming and I got out. I should have stuck with my original Red Sea AIO.

What would be a good set-up these days that'll also be easy to maintain? I also want to keep the cost down so as to not PO the wifey.

I'm planning on using Catalina water from my LPS. Looking for something around 20 gallons or so. Would want just a clown fish (or a pair) and a wrasse along with some easy to maintain corals.

• Like 1

Innovative marine 20g or 25g lagoon.

Very easy tanks to run, good quality, and really nice looking.

You'll still need powerhead, heater, lights, media baskets (cheaper than filter socks).

If you're looking for a cheapwe tank to start, standard tank, hang on filter, lights, powerhead.

• Like 1
Left Coast DJ

Thanks for the welcome back CM.  And thank you all for all of the information.

Any thoughts on a shallow acrylic AIO? I've never owned or even considered an acrylic tank back in the day. But this time around, I'm open to it (I'm also 8 years older now). Advanced Acrylics in just about an hour South of me. Maybe an AIO from here:

https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/frag-tanks-1

I am sure they have nice tanks but if you want easy go glass - cleaning the glass is one of the most annoying aspects of the nano and worrying about scratching it will just create more work.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Left Coast DJ said:

Thanks for the welcome back CM.  And thank you all for all of the information.

Any thoughts on a shallow acrylic AIO? I've never owned or even considered an acrylic tank back in the day. But this time around, I'm open to it (I'm also 8 years older now). Advanced Acrylics in just about an hour South of me. Maybe an AIO from here:

https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/frag-tanks-1

I once thought of doing acrylic. The annoyance of scratching it stopped me. 

It is also known to bow under the pressure of water if it isn't made with the proper support.

Kellie in CA

Living in CA, I probably should have an acrylic tank because of the earthquake risk....however, I had one once and I will never do it again.  If you are the type that isn't bothered by scratches, they are great.  But, I couldn't get over it.  Aquascaping made me a wreck because without fail, something would always fall and make a big mark.