Pod Your Reef

Reincarnated 90 - a fresh start

IAShane

43 minutes ago, IAShane said:

Approximately 10ml of 2 Part daily to maintain about 9 dKH.

Im going to start with a light Kalk solution and monitor.  I’d like to get away from manual 2 Part dosing.

Solid Plan.

So, my reagents came today!  

Therefore, I was motivated to make and install my kalk dripper.

This is going to take some math on my part to try and really dial this in.  I’m currently at one half teaspoon in a gallon of water.  That gallon made 6 18oz bottles of kalk solution, with a little leftover but I will not use it as it contains the sludge (minimal).

im getting a drop every 9 seconds at the moment.  I anticipate speeding it up but I’m going slow as to not cause problems.   Why the odd number?  I wish I could say because I calculated it all out, but I was shooting for 10 seconds and lost patience.  9 seconds it is!  ?

Current Alk is 8.8, and I usually dose 10ml of 2 Part a day to maintain about 9 dKH.  My tank usually uses about .25 dKH a day at the moment.

I used this page for reference.  Gotta give credit where it’s due.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

Here’s some pics.

321B3DDA-51F5-4FED-BE6B-EC877F79DD5E.jpeg

B726E73D-6E87-4869-9AE9-920F9004BDDA.jpeg

F222F7C4-E7A3-40B1-B81C-604D8E642B92.jpeg

AF8C4F1F-44C5-45A7-B4C1-94757C6FFC0B.jpeg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, xellos88 said:

I tried this bottle dripper setup once, and the drip rate changes as the water level in the bottle lowers.

Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll watch for that.

• Like 1

I’ve been wanting to do this for days now, because my Zoas are squinting.  Since they’ve been under the new fixture they’ve been less open.  Not all, but some.  So I moved them to where they would be shaded a bit more.  

One garden went to the back of the tank.  I like it here because it adds some depth and they won’t get as much light.  You also kind of “discover” them as you look around the tank.

The other went to the left side where it nestles into this little cove. 

Having them hem moved from the right side accentuates the ledge and opens up the right side, which moves the center of focus to the left of the tank and was what I was hoping for.  

DE3D11B5-A7D3-43B4-8CC4-522B44FED30D.jpeg

6018938B-C64C-4B51-B612-3807176DE8D8.jpeg

6E11D622-EFE4-46E6-BC6C-C9C0AC43ED6E.jpeg

I treated that rock, so it should be clean in a few days.  I need a tang..  or a foxface..  I do still have some light turf hanging out in a few places.  If I had a good grazer then I'm certain it could be kept mowed down.  I currently have very low nutrients, but this rock sat a little too long in neglect and is still holding P.  It'll just take some time to purge.

The kalk drip is proving to be tricky to dial in to a consistent rate.  I'm basically resigned to just running through a bottle a night and still compensating with 2 part.

I've worked out a perfect deal locally though.  I'm trading my spare 90 gallon tank for a couple of new BRS dosers.  Perfect trade IMO, I need this tank gone to appease the missus and I need some dosers.  I'll need to move a couple of devices from my EB8 to run them though, or pick up an EB4.