ReefCleaners.org

Reincarnated 90 - a fresh start

IAShane

FTS 3/14/18

fts_3_14_18.jpg

Hi, long time lurker here.  I have reincarnated my reef as an SPS tank.  I've had a reef for 15 years, and this is the 4th glass box it's been in.  I was previously LPS dominated, but I had a salinity incident about a year and a half ago that wiped most of my tank.  :(  I let my tank go for a while out of discouragement, but I've been cleaning it up, overhauling it, and getting it going again in a new direction.  Four months ago you couldn't see a single square inch of rock for the GHA.  I've been kicking algae to the curb and have finally started adding SPS.  I moved most of my remaining softies to a different tank.  This tank will be acro dominated.

Equipment:

90 gallon IM tank

2x Tunze 6095 with Tunze Multicontroller 7096

Ecotech MP40

Sun Systems Tek Light- T5s

• 4x ATI Blue Plus
  • 1x ATI Coral Plus
  • 1x ATI Purple Plus

Reef Octopus NWB-150

Eheim 1262 Return pump

302 Aquatics turf scrubber

2x Cobalt heaters 150W

Apex Lite

Custom stand built by me

Fish:

Pink Spotted Goby

Falco Hawkfish

King Demoiselle

Yellow Chromis

Six line wrasse

Lightning maroon clownfish

Coral:

PC Rainbow Acro

Tubbs stellata monti

Hawkins echinata

Montipora Setosa

Green Poccilipora

Unknown blue acro

bonsai acro

purple tort

Pink/green tipped birdsnest

Frogspawn

GSP

Goochers Zoas

Sunny D's

Fatty green palys

Scrambled eggs zoas

Grandis Paly

3/4/18

28795116_10215518393941126_7658156859858

28783176_10215518394821148_8271944760247

28660325_10215518394181132_8159232559174

28576846_10215518394381137_5504377294155

28471935_10215518394581142_8364708689220

This video is from a few years back, and is pretty much what my tank looked like before the salinity incident.  

• Like 2

Pics of recent additions for posterity's sake

PC Rainbow

28471903_10215518395021153_3830765605261

Browned out bonsai (Hey, it was on sale!)

28575733_10215518395181157_5811372543495

Pink Mille

28471389_10215518395541166_5952083179727

Hawkins echinata

28577489_10215518395701170_3346885875507

unknown blue acro

28576347_10215518395901175_4979559562667

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Oh shit! You mounted the frags.

I did!  :D  Now that I'm done meddling, they can settle into their new spots.

You found my thread :)

My only concern though is the bonsai..  It's quite a bit higher up than it has been previously.  Hopefully it will be encouraged to color up with some stronger light.

14 minutes ago, IAShane said:

I did!  :D  Now that I'm done meddling, they can settle into their new spots.

You found my thread :)

My only concern though is the bonsai..  It's quite a bit higher up than it has been previously.  Hopefully it will be encouraged to color up with some stronger light.

"Stronger light". I don't know what you mean by stronger light, the bottom of your tank was reading at 240+ Par lmao.

Christopher Marks

Nice system design @IAShane, super tidy layout down below too! Seeing it sitting on that stand is making me nostalgic for my old 90 gallon reef...

5 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

"Stronger light". I don't know what you mean by stronger light, the bottom of your tank was reading at 240+ Par lmao.

:o:lol:

It looks like I'll be running over to Des Moines on Thursday.  There is a moving sale on a mixed reef and I'm vying for the SPS.  There are a couple of real treats in there, and the prices are so so cheap.  I'm hoping that the trip is fruitful and that I come home with some serious frags.

1 hour ago, IAShane said:

It looks like I'll be running over to Des Moines on Thursday.  There is a moving sale on a mixed reef and I'm vying for the SPS.  There are a couple of real treats in there, and the prices are so so cheap.  I'm hoping that the trip is fruitful and that I come home with some serious frags.

Oh shit, there's an ASD milli for sale! And a bubblegum Milli colony as well!

2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Oh shit, there's an ASD milli for sale! And a bubblegum Milli colony as well!

I definitely have dibs on the WD and the ASD rainbow.  If the bubblegum is still there I'll take it too.

I go over there on Thursday :)

I ran out of super glue while mounting frags the other day, and I went out and got what I swear was the only tube of super glue gel in town.  Anyway, I got my green pocci mounted.  It's a classic, and overlooked coral IMO.  I like it.  :)

Can't wait to go get those frags tomorrow.  omgomgomg

28871837_10215548482933332_8692794729412

• Like 1

I’m beginning to wonder if I may have too much light.  Looking at my Zoas and the pocci, I think I may.

i was running 10 hours of all six bulbs with one hour of only two blues before and after “day”.  

I shortened the day photoperiod by a half hour on either end of the day and left the blues the same.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Awesome to see the PAR readings mapped out, those are rather intense :lol:

What tool do you use to measure? 

Our local club has a regional PAR meter for members.  It’s an Apogee MQ-500

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Awesome to see the PAR readings mapped out, those are rather intense :lol:

What tool do you use to measure? 

Like Shane mentioned, our club meter is an Apogee MQ-500, which is quite nice. It's a full spectrum PAR meter and has a <5% error for LEDS overall, with a <3% error for blue Leds!

• Wow 1

I have the frags  omgomgomg

Pics tomorrow when the lights are on and they're settled in.

Got a Walt Disney acro, ASD rainbow milli, WWC bubblegum milli, UC cotton candy, some Gilgamesh thing, and three others he couldn't remember the name for.  

So I've discovered that pocillopora can be quite invasive.  I've removed that colony and have transferred it to my other tank.  I like it, but do not want something that potentially can sow polyps all over my tank in random places.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that it dropped polyps since I've had it for about a month now.  I'll stave off the invasion by staying vigilant to remove any new colonies that pop up.

I'm starting to think about mixing a light pickling lime solution and dripping it.  I don't have to dose much, just 10ml a day of 2 part to maintain alk, but I'm wanting to start "automating" that.  I've considered a Jebao doser, but honestly I'm not sure if I completely trust it. Two BRS dosers would cost more than I'd be willing to spend on dosing at the moment.   Anyone have any input on the Jebao?

I'm excited for the potential of these, but they aren't as colorful as I know they could be.  They are a bit better than this video shows.  I was using my amber lens aviators as the filter. 

I was playing with the Aquarium Cam app and this is so worth the $3.  This is a very close representation of the in-person coloration of the frags.  

Updated FTS.  I decided I didn't like the middle section of tank, so I changed it.  I removed four or five decent chunks of rock, but in this case less is better I think.

Also mounted all the frags, so all coral is in its place and the 'scape won't be changing anytime soon.  I hope they all settle in and get happy.  :)

fts_3_14_18.jpg

I got my BRS order in today.  I got some rigid air line and I'm going to rig up a DIY drip system for kalk.  Really basic plastic bottle with air line and a valve to control drip.  However, I'm almost out of alk reagent for my Hanna checker, so I had to place a second order from Marine Depot since BRS was out of stock.  I'm not going to start dripping until I have a good supply of reagent on hand.  I currently have enough for just a few more tests and then I'm out.  The new bottles of reagent should be here in a few days.

7 hours ago, IAShane said:

I got my BRS order in today.  I got some rigid air line and I'm going to rig up a DIY drip system for kalk.  Really basic plastic bottle with air line and a valve to control drip.  However, I'm almost out of alk reagent for my Hanna checker, so I had to place a second order from Marine Depot since BRS was out of stock.  I'm not going to start dripping until I have a good supply of reagent on hand.  I currently have enough for just a few more tests and then I'm out.  The new bottles of reagent should be here in a few days.

I had to go MD for the alk reagents too! How much alk is your tank consuming daily?

EDIT: Just checked BRS, apparently their alk reagent is back in stock!

Approximately 10ml of 2 Part daily to maintain about 9 dKH.

Im going to start with a light Kalk solution and monitor.  I’d like to get away from manual 2 Part dosing.