SaltCritters.com

Falco's Mixed Reef

falcooo

3 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Get yourself a sick acan. maybe a forage into Acropora territory with a green slimer? 

A 3rd acan is a must for that right side to fill in with the others. 

3 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

That’s a solid gift. I would bring the person, no matter how clueless of corals he/she might be. Let the person see what you like, and get a chance to pick something random as well. 

This way it turns into a fun activity and person can see what’s being sponsored with $60.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. Anytime I can turn the hobby into an activity like that is great, ie. Reef-a-Palooza haha

I'd like to fill in certain gaps of the rock work with something that isn't very aggressive to avoid any coral warfare, as well as something larger for the whole back right side where the leather is dying since I'll be moving that to try and nurse back to health. 

HookedOnAquariums
1 minute ago, falcooo said:

I'd like to fill in certain gaps of the rock work with something that isn't very aggressive to avoid any coral warfare, as well as something larger for the whole back right side where the leather is dying since I'll be moving that to try and nurse back to health. 

You could do something weird like a cup coral to fill in space. And Acropora is not aggressive but some species can hold up very well to attack. If you don’t think you can handle a ton more acros zoas are always great fillers. And you can spend however much you want

What's a Saturday without a trip to the LFS? Haha. I used the $60 Gift Card earlier today and got some new additions I'm pretty excited about....

Bag 1: Nerite Snail

Bag 2: Jack-o-Lantern Lepto

Bag 3: Skinny purple/blue-ish Birdsnest (it was a broken off piece below a giant colony they had, got it thrown in for $5)

Bag 4: Pom-Pom Crab and a little piece of macro algae

pic1.thumb.jpg.ea86f7cc03b711c17489d964920cc77d.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.b6730e53358051e034f22f34c3890be6.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick Update with a new FTS. I'm excited to see how the new birdsnest fills out the back corner. Between the birdsnests and monti caps, there's going to be a lot of regular fragging down the road.

IMG_0620.thumb.jpg.8ea3db3b1123e8e3a8a44444ea19b133.jpg

& one of the little homie...

IMG_0597.thumb.jpg.a8b1a69a6d06621dafca6017ef3a1e36.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good.  The monti caps on the back wall will eventually shade several things out, but it sounds like you have a plan for that.

Looks like someone wants a clownfish for dinner 😂

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

It's been a few months and everything has been running really smooth. I've been hands-off for the most part minus the quick water change every 4 days. Last weekend was RAP Orlando which I was pretty excited for. I was able to find everything on my wishlist and got some especially great deals too. Overall, HUGE SUCCESS!

Here's what I picked up...

Rainbow Blue Acan

Purple Monti Cap

WWC Slimeball Anacropora  

Bizarro Cyphastrea

3x Ricordea Mushrooms   *Best deal @ $6 apiece

2x Rock Flower Anemones

Purple/Green Acan

My major plans include removing the floating rock shelf, and gluing all three Monti caps (red, green & purple) up and down the back left corner. Filling in the front with ricordeas, right side with the new acans, and adding to RFA island. The bizarro cyphastrea is going on the back glass and I will also need to break up my zoa rock to re-arrange the middle ground area to clear room for monti cap corner. Here's a quick shot of the chaos under construction.  I'll be gluing everything down over time, one or two things with each water change...

57664476836__509A5456-345D-40BE-BB5B-EF9DCA891629.thumb.jpg.83f2ac48e995b019de31758db4ba323b.jpg

• Like 1

After a long "Under Construction" period, everything is finally glued in place. I'm really looking forward to setting this tank on cruise control and watching everything grow in. 

IMG_1332.thumb.jpg.9e9ea15caeab03017b2c1e06c9751224.jpg

IMG_1336.thumb.jpg.aef193ccc81cba3ff50dbeb261cfd97c.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 1:21 PM, Daniel91 said:

What’s going on here? Provide us an update!

Things have been progressing smooth and steady. I've been trying my best to leave the tank on cruise control. With that said, I did recently buy a nice frag of Jedi Mind Trick Monti to fill in some gaps on the rocks, and also a tiny frag of Walt Disney Acro which I added top center to the left of the Rastas. Other than that, really just doing my 2-gallon WC every 4th day and letting everything fill in. 

On an unrelated note, I've set up a Fluval Evo 5 for my girlfriend. I've upgraded it all around and stocked with single polyps of almost exclusively high end Zoas and an ever-growing Ricordea garden. Keeping it very clean and simple, as that's the easiest for me to enjoy and this is her first tank so her only job is a weekly 2-gallon WC. I really want it to be a bulletproof softie pico. I'll add more on that as it progresses.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, falcooo said:

Things have been progressing smooth and steady. I've been trying my best to leave the tank on cruise control. With that said, I did recently buy a nice frag of Jedi Mind Trick Monti to fill in some gaps on the rocks, and also a tiny frag of Walt Disney Acro which I added top center to the left of the Rastas. Other than that, really just doing my 2-gallon WC every 4th day and letting everything fill in. 

On an unrelated note, I've set up a Fluval Evo 5 for my girlfriend. I've upgraded it all around and stocked with single polyps of almost exclusively high end Zoas and an ever-growing Ricordea garden. Keeping it very clean and simple, as that's the easiest for me to enjoy and this is her first tank so her only job is a weekly 2-gallon WC. I really want it to be a bulletproof softie pico. I'll add more on that as it progresses.

Awesome nano! No dosing at all? Only water changes? 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, medinar83 said:

Awesome nano! No dosing at all? Only water changes? 

Correct! I try to keep it as simple as possible, and to me...doing an extra water change is easier than regular testing/dosing. So I do a 25% (2 gallons) water change every 4 days, and everything is thriving. 

• Like 1