inTank Media Baskets

Nittos Biocube 16 Tank Thread

MSunkin23

Nearly marking 1year having this tank. Figured to do a nice update. Could not decide which pictures were best, so uploaded a few.

Running chemipure elite only in back chambers with filter floss pads on top of the stock rack. Still using stock lights, and no desire to change. The Aqamai KPS powerhead is a perfect wave maker for the tank. Although I have to say the iOS app is really horrible. I do water changes every 1-2 weeks with a 4-5gal bucket. Recently have been experimenting with running the daylights (LC1) less in the tank. Maybe 2-3 hours per day. Not sure if any negative impact yet, but the corals do open up more looking for light. However, they seem pretty happy...

On additional note, is that the Goniopora I received from Aqua SD is super awesome. I know it can be difficult to keep, but so far so good. I did take my last chance on a ricordea yuma, though. lost that one in a week and I can't seem to keep that species alive.

DSC_0107.jpeg

DSC_0011.jpeg

DSC_0007.jpeg

DSC_0125.jpeg

DSC_0133.jpeg

DSC_0158.jpeg

DSC_0138.jpeg

DSC_0020.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Nearly marking 1year having this tank. Figured to do a nice update. Could not decide which pictures were best, so uploaded a few.

Running chemipure elite only in back chambers with filter floss pads on top of the stock rack. Still using stock lights, and no desire to change. The Aqamai KPS powerhead is a perfect wave maker for the tank. Although I have to say the iOS app is really horrible. I do water changes every 1-2 weeks with a 4-5gal bucket. Recently have been experimenting with running the daylights (LC1) less in the tank. Maybe 2-3 hours per day. Not sure if any negative impact yet, but the corals do open up more looking for light. However, they seem pretty happy...

On additional note, is that the Goniopora I received from Aqua SD is super awesome. I know it can be difficult to keep, but so far so good. I did take my last chance on a ricordea yuma, though. lost that one in a week and I can't seem to keep that species alive.

DSC_0107.jpeg

DSC_0011.jpeg

DSC_0007.jpeg

DSC_0125.jpeg

DSC_0133.jpeg

DSC_0158.jpeg

DSC_0138.jpeg

DSC_0020.jpeg

The tank is looking great! 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
MSunkin23

Been a little bit, figured I needed some updated photos. Tank is in steady state, minus some green slime type cyano/algae constantly on the bottom 1/8 of the tank, mainly the sand. I use a plastic stick to stir it up every couple of days.

GSP slowly taking over that rock as planned, had to move some corals away from the torch because of how massive it’s gotten. Everything else running smooth!

9EBE8244-5A99-4F10-B25F-47E4194B7442.jpeg

ACF14D1B-EFED-4EC0-ACF4-9058D16922D8.jpeg

4A02BC56-C2A6-4CA0-B703-D952D657B162.jpeg

4AF71DD2-8A10-4317-BC94-D99DF1A01C12.jpeg

• Like 5
colinadam

Great looking tank! Everything looks nice and happy. Cant wait until mine gets some growth growing like yours

• Like 1
MSunkin23
12 minutes ago, Jackal227 said:

The corals all look happy.  That torch looks like it's getting huge. 

Yea it’s keeping the GSP back (good), but I think I have to move that ric mushroom someplace, it keeps getting stung.

banasophia

Tank looks great! I really love your clownfish, and your GSP is such an awesome bright green color in the pics!

• 1 month later...

Figured I could log a July update. Everything going strong. I am in the process of relocating a recorded mushroom because the Torch is growing too big. At some point, I am going to need a larger tank. Funny to see the first picture in my thread which was when I had my tank fully stocked, and now with it grown in, there is a massive difference. 

fullsizeoutput_1039.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1030.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1035.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Figured I could log a July update. Everything going strong. I am in the process of relocating a recorded mushroom because the Torch is growing too big. At some point, I am going to need a larger tank. Funny to see the first picture in my thread which was when I had my tank fully stocked, and now with it grown in, there is a massive difference. 

fullsizeoutput_1039.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1030.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1035.jpeg

The tank looks great!  I really love that torch.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It’s really filling in @MSunkin23! If you upgraded your tank one day, any you’ve had your eyes on?

I think it would be a IM fusion 20, lagoon, or peninsula. It’s almost getting to that point haha.

But I really enjoy the closed top of the biocube, I can leave the tank for 2 weeks with an auto feeder on a business trip and it’s stable.

would be great if IM made closed lids than an AI prime or Kessil can goosneck on. For example a glass window.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
18 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

But I really enjoy the closed top of the biocube, I can leave the tank for 2 weeks with an auto feeder on a business trip and it’s stable.

Thats the truth! My pico reef jar has a lid and its worry free when I travel. 

30 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

I think it would be a IM fusion 20, lagoon, or peninsula. It’s almost getting to that point haha.

would be great if IM made closed lids than an AI prime or Kessil can goosneck on. For example a glass window.

11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Thats the truth! My pico reef jar has a lid and its worry free when I travel. 

@MSunkin23, your tank is looking great! I recently saw mention of JBJs updates to their 28 gallon nano cube (with canopy) which include two different light versions - one for mid to low light corals and one for high light corals. May be worth checking out if you like a tank with a lid... not sure how long they’ve been out. 

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-28g-nano-led.html

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Took my kids to some coastal tidal pools this weekend in Northern California. Didn't take a picture but saw a really cool purple urchin. Some anemone pictures-

F051663B-47D8-4CFB-9D5D-4EC7A3B6FB3C.jpeg

32C592B1-4361-414F-9EFE-C2B970873602.jpeg

32BC2033-80D0-488C-973B-A8B5FBA532B3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

My second worst fear with the tank, with earthquakes being first are these California Electricity Blackouts. I can safely say we managed through the 72hours blackout with the tank fine and no loss of inhabitants. 

The battery powered air stone worked fantastic, but the unforeseen risk was that it was very cold and the tank dropped to high 60s. When I realized this I used warm water bottles to float in the tank to bring it back up. Held things together until power came back on.

Lights out may have had some

benefits in regards to algae.

Take care,

M

98314B18-E9D7-412B-83F4-2BC95C944EC7.jpeg

7B7A4FDC-4C13-411A-9CF6-858765D3B4A1.jpeg

74B5D556-5EB7-455B-A3A4-C0B900C05C75.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 2 months later...

Nearly at 2 years with this tank. So stable at this point. Still seeing tremendous growth out of the stock system. I may need to donate some corals soon to make room.

i do water changes once every 2-3 weeks. Light feeding. Good flow, and filter floss changes regularly. 

18E780BA-8E29-4914-9DED-59309BC486A3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Nearly at 2 years with this tank. So stable at this point. Still seeing tremendous growth out of the stock system. I may need to donate some corals soon to make room.

i do water changes once every 2-3 weeks. Light feeding. Good flow, and filter floss changes regularly. 

Gorgeous! Can’t believe it’s almost 2 years already!! You still thinking of upgrading, or staying with the 16 for now? I’m really loving my 32 so far, but I’m just doing it as an additional tank rather than an upgrade from the 16... but maybe an option if you need more space? 

I don't think I am going to upgrade the 16,  just may have to part out some corals. I would love to, but I travel a lot and 1 small tank needs to be my limit!

19 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

They tank looks great!