Top Shelf Aquatics

Nittos Biocube 16 Tank Thread

MSunkin23

15 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

fullsizeoutput_92b.jpeg

Your tank looks great. Also what kind of leather coral is this? I really want one and this one looks really cool 😎

• Like 1

@12scanlon - This is a Toadstool Leather. I had a difficult time finding one and then randomly found a couple of frags at a good LFS in San Francisco. 

Really awesome and hardy coral. Believe it or not the polyps extend more than that sometimes.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

@12scanlon - This is a Toadstool Leather. I had a difficult time finding one and then randomly found a couple of frags at a good LFS in San Francisco. 

Really awesome and hardy coral. Believe it or not the polyps extend more than that sometimes.

It’s a nice piece. The LFS’s near me don’t carry that many leathers so I’ll have to find one somewhere. 

7 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

What store in San Fran? I usually stick to South Bay and maybe venture up to the east bay but if there’s a sweet spot I’m missing I’d like to know. Thanks. 

Hey @1891Bro, I got that toadstool from Aquatic Collection in Hayward. I said "San Francisco" because wasn't sure if 12scanlon knew the bay well.

I really like those guys over there at Aquatic Collection, they hooked me up with that hammer too which has already gone from 2 heads to 4. Last I was there they had about 6 frags of these toadstool leathers.

Great stores in South Bay, but I rarely make it down there as I am up in North Bay...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5647F11C-8F0B-44D5-A4C1-3833945C9A40.thumb.jpeg.9cd116ffa33d48b91160dc141f7e7374.jpegSwapped out my Koralia 425gph today with the Aqamai KPS. I was happy with my 425, but noticed my euphyllia wanted more variety in flow.

This pump is pretty awesome, I was reluctant to purchase a powerhead almost half the price of my AIO tank. But this pump exceeded my expectations.

1. Versus the koralia, you can point the flow in a mug higher degree variety. Almost 90 degrees from mounting. For me this was a huge benefit.

2. The wave mode is great, corals love it.

3. The flow is much stronger than the 425, but I have it dialed down to about 40% at the max of my program. Also I feel the flowpath is wider resulting in less direct flow (good for nano tank imo)

4. The app is a little funky but it works.

5. Very small profile!

Happy reefing,

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember my first nano-tank, how much I regretting not getting a torch coral. At that time, I had a difficult time finding one, and online coral buying was not up-and-going yet (~2012). This Torch is easily my favorite coral in the tank.

If you look back earlier in the thread, its remarkable how much longer the tentacles got. Thanks #aquasd for the find! Does very well at the bottom of the tank with random light flow.

Otherwise, tank doing well. Post more pictures soon.

fullsizeoutput_974.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_976.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Some update shots with my macro lens after I got back from work. Steady state with the tank. Going to try the Red Sea Coral pro salt soon to see if there is any benefits.

Sexy Shrimp on GSP

Acan near top of tank

Hermit

Torch Coral

Toadstool Leather

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0122 2.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0134 2.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A new FTS. Everything going well except my duncan. For the last month it stays in its skeleton. Sometimes it comes out a little bit so I moved it to the bottom of the tank to chill-out. Still not recovering much, but its not dead so gonna just leave it. Every other coral is 100% fine, so no clue why the Duncan is acting up.

DSC_0028.thumb.jpg.4b9bddac1f78f803c54fbde9d59c1341.jpg

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

A new FTS. Everything going well except my duncan. For the last month it stays in its skeleton. Sometimes it comes out a little bit so I moved it to the bottom of the tank to chill-out. Still not recovering much, but its not dead so gonna just leave it. Every other coral is 100% fine, so no clue why the Duncan is acting up.

DSC_0028.thumb.jpg.4b9bddac1f78f803c54fbde9d59c1341.jpg

The tank looks great! I really like the torch.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Figured I would log a monthly update.

Seeing growth on the acan up top, and toadstool leather gets bigger every week. Switched to red sea coral pro salt and definitely much easier to prep the water. I dont measure alk, so can't speak to that.

I keep this tank simple, low-maintenance, and low nutrient. I run water changes every 2 weeks or so. After a fight with GHA and dino a couple of months ago have not seen any algae since (been using vibrant since then).

Tank has really been quite rewarding. Especially the journey/challenges to find a stable system. Guests at home always have something to say, and my kids love when the fish/shrimp eat.

Not planning on any new livestock additions, but open if anyone has ideas to add something to my system (LPS/Softies). Was thinking leather coral, pulsing, or adding GSP to the back wall.

IMG_4678.thumb.jpg.9284b7765f9f83b8b6241143e555e17b.jpg

2 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Figured I would log a monthly update.

Seeing growth on the acan up top, and toadstool leather gets bigger every week. Switched to red sea coral pro salt and definitely much easier to prep the water. I dont measure alk, so can't speak to that.

I keep this tank simple, low-maintenance, and low nutrient. I run water changes every 2 weeks or so. After a fight with GHA and dino a couple of months ago have not seen any algae since (been using vibrant since then).

Tank has really been quite rewarding. Especially the journey/challenges to find a stable system. Guests at home always have something to say, and my kids love when the fish/shrimp eat.

Not planning on any new livestock additions, but open if anyone has ideas to add something to my system (LPS/Softies). Was thinking leather coral, pulsing, or adding GSP to the back wall.

IMG_4678.thumb.jpg.9284b7765f9f83b8b6241143e555e17b.jpg

Your pics are always amazing!!! Love this one how the clown is pretending he’s a blenny hanging out in the rock like that while the other one is swimming around. 

The tank is looking beautiful. I think you could do more corals, but it’s really nice and balanced as is.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 11:35 AM, zak.payne said:

Are you running any type of ATO on your system?

Hey Zak, sorry I diddnt see this.

No ATO for me, have have not had the need to run top-offs either. The lid keeps most of the water in.

I compensate for any evaporation during my bi-weekly water changes. For example, if the tank salinity is 1.026, I usually do a water change with 1.024 water and it comes closer to 1.025.

Hope this helps!

If you run the tank without a lid, I would definitely look at an ATO

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...