Pod Your Reef

SNG's 90g. 1 year old....

slowngreen

2 hours ago, slowngreen said:

@markalot, I ended up just turning all RB off and left whites and blues on and was able to get white balance to measure. Now with the light on like normal the pics come out pretty much the same as in person. Slightly darker. 

Why does it become grainy when I post it but isn't that way when opened in Google Photos?

You need to work with RAW photos to get the good quality.  If you're taking the jpg files then you're letting the camera do the processing.  Typically CMOS sensors, while a huge step forward, can still be fairly noisy above 400 ISO or so.  You should be using a fixed ISO no higher than 400 for most pictures.  Next, noise reduction will be applied to the raw pic to remove the grain.  The camera usually does a good job but with the proper software you can do better.  Photoshops RAW processor does this best but there are some free utilities, like RAWTherapee, do edit RAW images.

Lots for you to learn about image processing, google is the best way.  :)  In a pinch, though, the camera JPGs will suffice.  You can also adjust a lot of the noise reduction settings on the camera .. it's a NIKON, it can do a lot of stuff I still don't know about. 

• Thanks 1

My birdsnest hasn't improved at all. Tops are pretty bleached looking and alot of lowers have died off. It has plenty of random flow, I assume, since the other sticks have lots of movement on their polyps. 

Should I get it away from the light about mid tank instead of up high where it is now?

• 4 weeks later...

I just bumped your threat in the photog forum, but I see the P600 is gone 🙂

What are you using now?  I am starting to weigh my options...my 15 year old G5 hand-me-down might be ready for an upgrade.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, --chris-- said:

I just bumped your threat in the photog forum, but I see the P600 is gone 🙂

What are you using now?  I am starting to weigh my options...my 15 year old G5 hand-me-down might be ready for an upgrade.  

I have a d3200 with kit lens and a Tamron 90mm Macro. 

I just wanted to be able to take better further back macro shots. That p600 was awesome and I'll always recommend it for a p&s camera. I think once I got the settings figured out, the p600, p90 and L110 where all really nice camera's. Just lack the ability of 1:1 macro. 

The D3100 doesn't have a swivel display does it?  I was eye balling the 5100 because I use the G5's swivel display A LOT and I don't think I can do with out.  Do you do most shots on a tripod?  

The 3200 doesnt so I'm guessing the 3100 doesnt either. I do miss the swivel display from the p600 for sure but oh well... I end up just using the view finder more actually than the screen. And yeah, all tank pics are on a tripod. I didn't like the d3200 at first because it seemed to confusing but once you get some time on it and figured it out, it can be pretty impressive. 

12 hours ago, slowngreen said:

I didn't like the d3200 at first

I'm glad that you like it better now.  Are you finally happy you got it, or are you still missing your old camera?

4 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm glad that you like it better now.  Are you finally happy you got it, or are you still missing your old camera?

Yeah I'm happy with it now for sure. Just that initial learning curve I didn't want to mess with haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

@slowngreen you had me looking around Ebay last night at D3xxx and Tamron 90mms.  I could cobble together a D series and a tamron macro lens for around $250!  Thats crazy!  

Maybe link to what you find because the lens will likely be $200-250 used by itself.