Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SNG's 90g. 1 year old....

slowngreen

slowngreen
19 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How's your reef doing these days @slowngreen? Were you able to get your lighting dialed in?

Lighting is good. For the most part everything is healthy. Power was out for 3 hours while I was at work and 2 days after that I had two sps die but everyone else is good. Fish all seem healthy still too which is so refreshing.

I'll try to get some pics soon. 

Thanks for asking too boss!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
slowngreen

I got a new job a few weeks ago which will require me to be out of town for 6 weeks. This makes me nervous about my sps. 

I plan on getting an ato but other than that the only other thing I thought about is getting rid of all my sps and going softies/lps.

59 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

I got a new job a few weeks ago which will require me to be out of town for 6 weeks. This makes me nervous about my sps. 

I plan on getting an ato but other than that the only other thing I thought about is getting rid of all my sps and going softies/lps.

Good luck. I just returned from a working trip. Gone 20 daz. Wife was looking after tank. I lost a crocea clam and tank glass was covered with a brown algae film.

• Thanks 1
slowngreen

If anything else I  wanted to prove to myself that I could keep sps which I have successfully. Some peices have grown far faster than I expected. But i don't find them as cool as lps or softies and wouldn't be down on myself for changing things up.

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Having trouble keeping color in some of my sps. My cal is 460, alk 9. I skim pretty wet. I feed my fish once a day pretty heavy but I only have 3 and dont spot feed very often. 

I have no detected nitrates which I assume my be the problem but I really don't want to stop skimming and not sure I want to dose anything if I don't have to.

Should I add more fish? Feed more than once a day? 

I feed Tiny Seas flake (with Astaxanthin, whatever that is). I've tried New Life Spektrum but they dont seem to eat the little pellets. 

Christopher Marks

Adding another fish should help add to the bio load and increase your nitrates. Do you have anything in particular in mind?

Do you have anything else that might be consuming nitrates, an algae reactor or chaeto in your sump?

• Like 2

Phosphate may be low too.  If nutrients are too low, your current alkalinity levels can burn the tips of SPS.

Pale SPS can occur from low nutrient levels, or they may be bleaching due to too much light.

• Like 3

I dont have any fish in mind yet. I'll just have to take a trip to my lfs and see what he has. 

I don't have any reactor's or macros growing either.

• 3 weeks later...

I added a pink spot which is eating like a pig. 

It's been 15 days and nitrates are still undetected. 

I think phosphates are 3+. I have a hard time though as I'm partially color blind. Can someone look at the pic and verify?

My green sps are all still real faded and pale.

20191117_133009.jpg

20191117_130122.jpg

20191117_130340.jpg

• Like 1

Should I consider dosing nitrates? Or stop skimming for a while? Or?

I'd like to add more fish but I've had such bad luck with fish from my lfs. Any really reliable online fish suppliers? 

2 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Should I consider dosing nitrates?

Maybe.  I'd like to see phosphate down a bit before you do that though.  Eliminating nitrate as a limiting factor might spur a growth spurt in algae.

4 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Or stop skimming for a while?

I wouldn't.

4 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Any really reliable online fish suppliers?

I still like Live Aquaria's Diver's Den, although I've read more complaints more recently than I used to see.  Blue Zoo Aquatics is often recommended.

• Thanks 1

Maybe.  I'm personally not a huge fan of GFO, as it binds alkalinity too.  For media, Phosguard is an alternate option.  Water changes can also make a difference.

Make sure you don't lower phosphate too quickly, or too low.  Things are looking pretty good, I'd hate for you to upset things now.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ReefahBarra84 said:

What about chemipure products 

ChemiPure Elite contains some GFO, but not a lot.  For the money, it's not an especially efficient phosphate remover.

• 4 weeks later...

So phosphate is still up there huh?  Looks like maybe 2 or a little higher.  Are you running the GFO reactor?  You may have to replace the media a little more frequently; however, you must watch the alkalinity level closely.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Tank was doing great again (no pics) then a couple weeks ago I had several sps start retracting and going pale and have now lost several. Phosphates were back up to over 1 and I couldn't figure out why. Finally found my problem yesterday, my 55g barrel I store my ro in is leaching! My tds is around 100 in it and 0 out of my ro/di unit. 

Gonna get a brute for now and then try to find a poly tank locally in the near future.

• Like 1

If you don't mind. What type for container are you using the leached. I store to RO water and ATO water in regular 

white kitchen trash cans. Also for what I've read not all Brute containers are food safe just certain colors.

6 hours ago, dling said:

If you don't mind. What type for container are you using the leached. I store to RO water and ATO water in regular 

white kitchen trash cans. Also for what I've read not all Brute containers are food safe just certain colors.

It's one of the blue 55g barrels. 

After some searching I've found several threads of guys having theirs leach too. I wonder if, like it my case, having salt water in them kind of eats away at material.