Innovative Marine Aquariums

SNG's 90g. 1 year old....

slowngreen

I'm curious, what aperture did you use for those pics?  The depth of field looks to be fairly small.  Although, it's a real nice effect.

I'm sure you've noticed that macro shots give you less depth of field than a typical pic, even when using the same aperture setting.  You might try an even smaller aperture (I believe your Tamron lens supports an aperture as small as f/32).  This will require longer exposures, and/or higher ISO settings, or even more light.

Also curious, have you ever played around with flash or supplemental lighting yet?  I know we've been taught that flash is bad when taking aquarium pics (due to reflection off the tank walls), but off camera flashes or supplemental lighting can be positioned to prevent that reflection.

Anyways, I always enjoy your photography!  Keep the pics coming.

• Thanks 1

Awesome shots . 

I really need to learn how to use my camera . I have a few different lenses but am completely lost when it comes to proper settings. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Awesome shots . 

I really need to learn how to use my camera . I have a few different lenses but am completely lost when it comes to proper settings. 

What is it? We can help...

6 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

What is it? We can help...

body is T3i 

lenses

18-55 came with camera

75-300 came with camera

nifty 50

85mm

edit : would love a macro lens but its sort of pointless if I can't set it properly. lol

• Like 1

Fish update, I bought a paired clown fish duo and a sailfin that my lfs had taken out of a customers tank while they upgrade. Bought them on the 18th of Dec. One of the clowns disappeared two days later and I've yet to see what happened to it. The other two are eating like pigs and swim together most of the time.

I've actually seen the tang eat what little bubble algae I have which really surprised me.

1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

One of the clowns disappeared two days later and I've yet to see what happened to it.

Did you check the floor and/or overflow?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Dosing 19ml twice a day my alk has been holding around 9.6. I havent tested for a couple weeks but today I did and it is up to 10.8. Should I just lower the dosage? Maybe go down to like 16ml twice a day and test it daily? 

• Like 1

I like that approach, as then water changes just bring you closer to your target levels.  Make the change slowly so as not to piss everything off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I reduced my dosing on the 23rd. The alk dropped from 10.8 to 10 in 24hrs. Its been dropping about .2 in 24hrs since. That first drop must have upset all my slimers as they are all closed up on one half of their body. No polyps and more of a pink color. Hoping they will recover soon.

A couple things about fish. Find out the country of origin of his fish, specifically the Powder Blue tangs. I have good money that his supplier is getting them out of Indonesia, the Bali, Lombok or Jakarta areas. If he is, you need to find another shop. The Powder Blues from Indo don't live for reasons we don't know. A lot of wholesalers buy them because they're cheaper, but you still pay the same price, more money in their pocket. The best Powder Blues come from Sri Lanka, they live and are damn near bulletproof but they're a little more expensive. Powder Blues get ich, it's the nature of the beast, don't worry about it. Before you bring one into your system, make sure you bump the temp up to 80 and let the stress ich run its course, 99 times out of 100 it's not an issue. Those Indo Powder Blues are known as grenades, you have 3 weeks to ditch them on some unsuspecting customer before they blow up/die in your system. Firefish are tough to get to live due to the continued collection with cyanide. If your supplier is getting them from Indo, I'd say there's an 80%+ chance they were caught with cyanide.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For a while now I've just been running my led's and one blue+ but for my birdsnest it seems maybe its still too intense as it is growing downwards. I shut off my t5 and will see if this helps. 

Or maybe turn down the LEDs just a bit.  Hope it works out.  I recently put a birdsnest in my 100 gallon (with just four T5s).  I think mine would prefer a little more punch.

• Like 1