Top Shelf Aquatics

SNG's 90g. 1 year old....

slowngreen

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Been about a month since my fish died. I've done several water changes. Wondering if  it may be safe to add a fish?

Tank looks great!

I'd wait at least 8 weeks.  I just went through the same thing myself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Tank looks great!

I'd wait at least 8 weeks.  I just went through the same thing myself

Sorry to hear that. I will wait then to be safe.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Mark! 

Everything has been growing real well. Sps are doing great. First coral I added in a long time was a birdsnest I got yesterday. All my numbers are staying consistant.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The new birdsnest I added doesn't seem happy with my lighting. Guy I got it from said preferred low light.

I have it about mid level in my tank. I lowered my lights by 5%w,10%b,10%th and 10%uv. 

Will lowering the intensity effect my other sps?

It's certainly possible.  HarryPotter's rough guideline is - if corals get dark, add 5% - if they get pale, take off 5% (waiting a minimum of a month between changes).  If your birdsnest starts looking better and your other SPS start getting darker, you might want to slowly increase your lighting and relocate the birdsnest.

• Thanks 1

What kind of bird.  Based on the screnshot above I can't imagine it wanting lower light, I would look to flow or Alk stability first, double check all params just to be sure nothing snuck up on you.

The big pink bird growing in my 40, I put a large branch in my 150 on the birdsnest pile I have and it took almost a month before it looked happy, now showing good growth finally.  Sometimes they just like to sulk for a while.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tank update... I noticed Ich all over my powder blue. I don't have another tank to put him in so I just tried to feed him well and add garlic but it didn't help and he passed away, then two days later my cardinal passed away. 

So now Im back down to just one firefish which I've had for 9 months now. He's made it through two ich outbreaks and always been fine. So does that mean he is the one hosting it?

If I were to get a 20l and put the firefish in it, how long would it take for ich to be gone from my reef setup? Also, would a quarantine tank without any rock have to cycle? 

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, slowngreen said:

If I were to get a 20l and put the firefish in it, how long would it take for ich to be gone from my reef setup?

6 weeks is usually long enough.

https://www.nano-reef.com/articles/livestock/how-to-treat-your-saltwater-fish-for-ich-parasites-r21/

6 hours ago, slowngreen said:

Also, would a quarantine tank without any rock have to cycle? 

You still need a bio-filter.  It can either be transferred or established.  Some people use sponge filters, bio-balls, or some other type of biological media.

• Thanks 1

Got a d3200 now, sold my p600. Using the kit lens heres a FTS. I had alot of trouble, as it seems many many others do with these Nikon DSLR's, getting my white balance set but I finally got it done. I know post processing is recommended but I still don't have a program so this will do for now and at least my colors are good. 

Its way clearer if you click on the image.

H5FDXkqMlr72ubai8JE2JViUUHrIY74tJr071w71

• Like 4

@markalot, I ended up just turning all RB off and left whites and blues on and was able to get white balance to measure. Now with the light on like normal the pics come out pretty much the same as in person. Slightly darker. 

Why does it become grainy when I post it but isn't that way when opened in Google Photos?

The tank and pic both look great!

3 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Now with the light on like normal the pics come out pretty much the same as in person. Slightly darker.

I'm sure you could adjust the settings and adjust for this.  Manual mode will give you full control; but if you use the aperture mode you can adjust the exposure a bit to lighten it up.

Also, check out GIMP for a free photo editor.  You could easily lighten your photos with that.

4 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

Why does it become grainy when I post it but isn't that way when opened in Google Photos?

I assume resizing and data compression.

• Thanks 1

I have one on my computer called PhotoPad, don't remember when or why I got it but there it is haha and it has temperature controls as well as a bunch others and can load .NEF so I'll start playing around with it soon.