Pod Your Reef

Substrate for nano

ACoralReefer

ACoralReefer

Hi all, 

can I use diamond quartz gravel for my new nano reef, would it be suitable? I think normally it’s used for freshwater but says for any aquarium. The brand of it is Australian (I think), ‘Pisces Natural Products’.

https://www.petbarn.com.au/pisces-aquarium-gravel-diamond-black-5kg

link to product ^^

let me know if link doesn’t work

thanks 

The problem with some freshwater substrates is that they contain metals in them and the salt is corrosive.  Is there any way you can check for that?

ACoralReefer

They don’t really give a big description on their gravel. I’m probably better off just getting an actual coral sand product

thanks anyways

2 minutes ago, ACoralReefer said:

They don’t really give a big description on their gravel. I’m probably better off just getting an actual coral sand product

thanks anyways

Yes, that is usually my recommendation to be on the safe side.  There are black sands if it's the color you are wanting.

ACoralReefer

Well I mean it does say that it’s natural/pure and safe for use in any aquarium so I maybe it is marine and fresh

Just now, ACoralReefer said:

Well I mean it does say that it’s natural/pure and safe for use in any aquarium so I maybe it is marine and fresh

Maybe you could look the company up and call just for clarification?

ACoralReefer

The area I’m living (in Australia) doesn’t have many options and it’s very hard to find local products without driving an hour or so. But I’ll see what I can do

thanks again

Metals are naturally contained in rock in nature so that doesn't reassure me.  Or you could buy a bag and try it on a test frag.

ACoralReefer
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Maybe you could look the company up and call just for clarification?

I’ll just try and find coral sand but thanks anyways,

cheers