Cultivated Reef

Inspiration for rockwork / rockscape (16 G)

Muffin87

Is there a collection of pictures of cool rockscapes for nano reefs somewhere?

My tank is a 16G and with the cement, I hoped to create some really cool rockwork.

After a number of delays, I have finally got around to ordering:

• 13 pounds of CaribSea Life Rock (dry rock inoculated with bacteria to be seeded with 5 pounds of live rock)
  •  Nyos Cement (Reefsafe rapid cement).

Any particular rockwork shapes suggested or to avoid?

Care to share pictures of your rockscapes?

I'm going through the same thing right now, except Im upgrading from a 10g fusion to a 40 Breeder. 

A lot of it depends on the type of coral you plan on keeping. Like if you want some branching SPS at the top of your tank, leave some room for that. 

I like to think of the scape as the skeleton... and hopefully it gets covered up in coral anyway in a year or two. I'm just trying to avoid a pile of rocks and a place for detritus to settle in. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube from BRS, Vivid Aquariums, etc. It's so much more personal preference than anything. Good luck and I'm sure it will look fine whatever you decide to do.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:26 PM, Drew11 said:

A lot of it depends on the type of coral you plan on keeping.

Well I was thinking mostly LPS and one montipora. So I suppose I should leave some space at the top for the montipora.

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There's the aquascaping and gallery

Oh I've seen that, but from many pics I've noticed it's difficult to tell the exact shape of the rockwork. So I was wondering if there was a gallery somewhere showcasing the best rockworks.

Are caves recommended? I heard they can easily become a place where waste accumulates, becoming a sort of "permanent" source of nitrates since they're difficult to clean inside.