Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef

Nola Bear

mitten_reef
20 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Look what came today!

26190749447_2587744021_z.jpg

That looks like a nice frag, ?!

20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, I think I've already decided to put it in the 40g, right near the top. Forget that cookie jar stuff, this one deserves the full treatment :)

Hopefully it won't just spend the whole contest encrusting :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to comparing how it colors up compared to the strawberry shortcake I already have in there. The SS is lower in the tank but has been in place for a while. The upscales microlados has a much prettier, pastel, color from what I can tell.

It’d be interesting to see the comparison b/w the contest frag and a SSC for sure, assuming you brought that up cuz they’re both microlados species. 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Look what came today!

26190749447_2587744021_z.jpg

Awesome!

I can neither confirm nor deny that after placing my order, Holly texted me colorful pictures of corals in a successful attempt to lure me into ordering even more corals :ninja:

@Cultivated Reef is the best but not good for my wallet.

• Haha 4
mitten_reef

Here the contest frag 2 weeks old and getting a nice minty color (?, think mint chocolate chip ice cream)

P3250682

top-down

P3250717

The base appears to be encrusting. 

Edited by micoastreefing
Found a top down shot with better focus AND colors
  • Like 4
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, I think I've already decided to put it in the 40g, right near the top. Forget that cookie jar stuff, this one deserves the full treatment :)

Hopefully it won't just spend the whole contest encrusting :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to comparing how it colors up compared to the strawberry shortcake I already have in there. The SS is lower in the tank but has been in place for a while. The upscales microlados has a much prettier, pastel, color from what I can tell.

All the corals I see local are a pastel green including mine. Its nice to be close to where this coral originated so frags are all over the place.

Good luck in the grow out Teeny! Also everyone else.

Cruddy pic I don't have Teeny photography skills :lol: 

upscales.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

All the corals I see local are a pastel green including mine. Its nice to be close to where this coral originated so frags are all over the place.

Good luck in the grow out Teeny! Also everyone else.

Cruddy pic I don't have Teeny photography skills :lol: 

upscales.jpg

That's some nice growth and color! Thanks for showing us what it should look like when it grows up.

• Thanks 1
Polarcollision

Luck and some mighty fine packaging saved the day! Overnight shipping turned into 2-day shipping (I’m primed for a rant about FedEx lying about weather delays), but thanks to the professional packaging by Culrivated Reef, I’m still in the game!

1.6 cm on day one

I fully expect to have the slowest growing corals, btw. Just want to see how much more slowly they grow than everyone 

04C872AA-01E1-4A7A-9367-332E1F6A60B5.thumb.jpeg.ce9c6689043bc632c89a14962949d171.jpeg

along for the ride is ice fire echinata and Lena Sy cap.

6927057F-8EDB-4C1B-B692-D507CAA3ECE9.thumb.jpeg.9bed1ba88aa9003a3b5e4b1910eb3b25.jpeg

117FC121-2E2B-43AC-9477-CF1AA06471F2.thumb.jpeg.37114a70865767cd5b0532f4272e984e.jpeg

• Like 5
Cultivated Reef

PHEW!!!  I'm glad everything made it ok :)  I LOVE your zoos!!!  Are those Mary Janes?

So I had to do a quick conversion because when I went to school they didn't think the metric system was important lol!  That's .63 inches which is a tad shorter then most of the others but it does have some nice secondary branches to help offset that.  It was challenging to make every frag exactly the same as I'm sure all of you can appreciate.  The panel of judges will take everything into consideration as this contest progresses!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Luck and some mighty fine packaging saved the day! Overnight shipping turned into 2-day shipping (I’m primed for a rant about FedEx lying about weather delays), but thanks to the professional packaging by Culrivated Reef, I’m still in the game!

1.6 cm on day one

I fully expect to have the slowest growing corals, btw. Just want to see how much more slowly they grow than everyone 

04C872AA-01E1-4A7A-9367-332E1F6A60B5.thumb.jpeg.ce9c6689043bc632c89a14962949d171.jpeg

along for the ride is ice fire echinata and Lena Sy cap.

6927057F-8EDB-4C1B-B692-D507CAA3ECE9.thumb.jpeg.9bed1ba88aa9003a3b5e4b1910eb3b25.jpeg

117FC121-2E2B-43AC-9477-CF1AA06471F2.thumb.jpeg.37114a70865767cd5b0532f4272e984e.jpeg

Nice choices! I got an ice fire and a leng sy as part of my order too :)

...which arrived today!

Ice Fire Echinata, Joe's Rainbow, PC Rainbow, Upscales Microlados, CR Tabling Acro, JF Fox Flame

Left to right: ice fire echinata, Joe's Rainbow, PC rainbow, upscales microlados, CR tabling acro, and JF Fox Flame. All from @Cultivated Reef expect for the PC Rainbow and the Fox Flame.

Check out the colors in the tabling acro. I'm so happy Holly sent me the picture of it.

Ice Fire Echinata, Joe's Rainbow, PC Rainbow, Upscales Microlados, CR Tabling Acro, JF Fox Flame

The contest frag looks to be just a hair under 3/4". Or 19mm for you scientist/unAmerican types :lol:

Upscales Microlados (contest frag)

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
Okinawa_Reefer

Received my frag earlier today. Got it dipped and put in the tank. I will take it off the frag plug and glue it into place tomorrow and then I’ll post my pictures!

• Like 3

First measurement post, should’ve put this guy in an easy spot to measure, but let’s be honest, myopia is really in right now. As a result, I had to cut up a ruler to be able to get this shot/measurement. Also, this may be the worst aquarium photo taken.

Feast your eyes on all 2.4 cm of pure contest winning fury! Yes, I used the metric system, not because it makes sense, or because I know how to use it, but because it makes me feel refined. I’m pretty sure I can speak French right now. 

8F3E290D-0FC6-492C-8AC6-BF7168346C38.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
Okinawa_Reefer

vo1AM=&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=H_XX

What my frag looked like before I bumped it with the ruler.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATczZm

And my measurement pic. Good luck everyone!

• Like 6

To quote LL Cool J, “don’t call it a comeback, I’ve been here for years...”

Before I kill it, feast your eyes on this on this sweet sweet encrustment! 

CADD4641-E325-42F1-ADC7-4D7F7E2F15E6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Since we’re bragging about encrusting. I’ll just leave this right here. 

5B800163-A78D-4107-91E9-8656361D978B.thumb.jpeg.6fe3d247362cd113db24264d691a0c0d.jpeg

Polyp extension could be better. Need to find a spot with more flow to mount it this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Cultivated Reef
13 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

To quote LL Cool J, “don’t call it a comeback, I’ve been here for years...”

Before I kill it, feast your eyes on this on this sweet sweet encrustment! 

CADD4641-E325-42F1-ADC7-4D7F7E2F15E6.jpeg

I’m glad I’m not competing lol!

• Haha 1
HarryPotter
On 3/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, teenyreef said:

Nice choices! I got an ice fire and a leng sy as part of my order too :)

...which arrived today!

Left to right: ice fire echinata, Joe's Rainbow, PC rainbow, upscales microlados, CR tabling acro, and JF Fox Flame. All from @Cultivated Reef expect for the PC Rainbow and the Fox Flame.

Check out the colors in the tabling acro. I'm so happy Holly sent me the picture of it.

The contest frag looks to be just a hair under 3/4". Or 19mm for you scientist/unAmerican types :lol:

Upscales Microlados (contest frag)

Love it, especially the tabling one, but I would have definitely popped them onto new plugs before adding them to the tank! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic