Coral Vue Hydros

Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef

Nola Bear

Mine is still alive! I have been following along, but haven't been diligent about posting updates - it's in an awkward spot to photograph. The last pic is from March 16th, so there has been some growth - more then 1/4 inch, but less than 1/2 inch I would say. It encrusted nicely, just in time for pavona to grow over it. The color changed only slightly - from brown on arrival to brown with a tinge of green. 

Seeing how much prettier everyone's frags look is motivating me to upgrade the light from stock biocube LED to nanobox retrofit some time in the future.

The second picture is with the white lights on the way out. The third picture is with whites at full intensity. 

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

frag.jpg

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Just got back from vacation to find frag still alive and even growing. I'll post a pic tomorrow, 5 days late, when the lights are back on.

• Like 2
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, Cultivated Reef said:

As people post their final 6 month pictures please let us know that this is the final one 😉

Hey now, I’m the second one to receive my frag (3/17?) And since @TheBig053 is out, I’d be the first one to complete my 6 months. And to my count, that means I still got until mid September!  

Don’t rush it 🤪, my frag finally just started to look like it wants to grow. 

5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Some people here must have not known the goal was to GROW the coral 😳

Not everyone’s tanks are on ‘roid  like yours. 😝

• Like 1
Cultivated Reef
56 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Hey now, I’m the second one to receive my frag (3/17?) And since @TheBig053 is out, I’d be the first one to complete my 6 months. And to my count, that means I still got until mid September!  

Good point haha!  My mistake. Carry in folks. 😉

35 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Does my frag have to be alive to win... I am hanging onto life by a hair nail...

I would need to reread the criteria but I don’t think being alive was mentioned lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

It wont matter when its dead! 

7DEF6FE6-DBDC-46A8-B655-853870E8B6C7.gif

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Some people here must have not known the goal was to GROW the coral 😳

What an ass :lol:

And mine is doing great................

• Haha 2

Weekly update:

The frag is still holding on, the STN on the base is still spreading but at a slightly slower rate. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation for over a  week starting on Thursday, so not only is the timing not great, but I have also fully braced myself (and expect) to come back to a bleach white stick. 

0A52FE54-EC37-4486-8572-5F442086B6FE.jpeg

87FC8EB2-63B3-46BC-BB9B-D8CE9953F7A9.jpeg

1AF7B7E4-BBF5-444E-861C-3583F28B96E5.jpeg

• Like 4
Polarcollision

Not falling for it. 🙂 You’ll get lucky and come back to another quarter inch of new acro. And then with your winnings in hand, you can share your parameters and secrets. I got exactly what I wanted out of this contest—proof that my coral grow slower than glaceriers in global warming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 8/9/2018 at 11:26 PM, Polarcollision said:

A few days late, here’s my July shot. A tiny bit of height and a lot of thickening in the branches. 

52731C2F-8C6E-4E44-942A-7C204D706FF2.thumb.jpeg.080b175b6204b2912bbf0de77df51ed5.jpeg

That's all I've seen from my frag, thickening. still hoping that it'll eventually stretch out or branch out.

love the two red zoas, especially the utter chaos up front. 

• Like 2

Heyyyyyoooo!!! You know what time it is... that’s right! It’s the post guinea-pig-feast / after-llama-fetus-party edition of Sh$t Talk Friday... a day early... on a Thursday!

After 2 continents, 3,200 miles, and 11,000 ft of evaluation change, I’m back in God’s country, otherwise known as the sweaty armpit of SE Louisiana!  And after a week of eating questionable meat, missing oxygen, stumbling dumbly over Inca ruins, damn it feels great. It’s either that or the lingering effects of the excessive amounts of coca tea...

Anyways, despite the downstairs AC going out, a less-than-confidence-inducing-college-age housekeeper, or the fact that an acro immediately RTN’d day one... right in front of the tank cam (leading to a week of living in abject terror), Blen-Daddy’s “Ten Gallon Box of Shenanigans” somehow survived! And honestly, (besides the aforementioned acro) it looks alright (not quite “Baby One More Time” Britney Spears... but certainly not 2007-shaved-head Britney... let’s call it late-Kevin-Federline-marriage Brittney Spears).

Anyways, while the tank’s last three weeks could be best described as a mild Charlie Sheen bender, I’m still in the game! Feast your hearts out Muchacho’s, I can almost taste those 450 Peruvian Sols!!   

62EFA73D-781F-403B-840A-4EAFDDFC08DE.jpeg

7DE7A19F-E035-41EE-B648-7761AB71C262.jpeg

BDB6B56D-9884-4D1B-94FD-A2344D013DF4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
13 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Heyyyyyoooo!!! You know what time it is... that’s right! It’s the post guinea-pig-feast / after-llama-fetus-party edition of Sh$t Talk Friday... a day early... on a Thursday!

After 2 continents, 3,200 miles, and 11,000 ft of evaluation change, I’m back in God’s country, otherwise known as the sweaty armpit of SE Louisiana!  And after a week of eating questionable meat, missing oxygen, stumbling dumbly over Inca ruins, damn it feels great. It’s either that or the lingering effects of the excessive amounts of coca tea...

Anyways, despite the downstairs AC going out, a less-than-confidence-inducing-college-age housekeeper, or the fact that an acro immediately RTN’d day one... right in front of the tank cam (leading to a week of living in abject terror), Blen-Daddy’s “Ten Gallon Box of Shenanigans” somehow survived! And honestly, (besides the aforementioned acro) it looks alright (not quite “Baby One More Time” Britney Spears... but certainly not 2007-shaved-head Britney... let’s call it late-Kevin-Federline-marriage Brittney Spears).

Anyways, while the tank’s last three weeks could be best described as a mild Charlie Sheen bender, I’m still in the game! Feast your hearts out Muchacho’s, I can almost taste those 450 Peruvian Sols!!   

welp, there goes my hail mary. 🤨

no way to catch up with that amount of growth in the next 4 weeks.  Plus I still got 2 long-weekend getaways coming up, while my tank is not completely out of the woods yet.  

• Like 2
MainelyReefer
On 8/16/2018 at 8:27 PM, Cannedfish said:

Judging you for wearing new balance shoes, who are you my dad?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Christopher Marks
On 8/16/2018 at 5:27 PM, Cannedfish said:

excessive amounts of coca tea...

It's like you've been dosing coca tea in your tank too! 😄 

That's an incredible shot of Machu Picchu, I've had a few friends visit in the past few years but I don't think it was ever that clear out!

• Haha 1

Yo yo yo! It’s Sunday and you know what that means! Yup, that I’m a bum and missed both Sh$t Talk Friday & Saturday.  Unfortunately, it is Sunday, and say what you want about me, but at very least I’m an honest gentleman so I’m not going to besmirch the Lord’s day and talk trash. Ok, that’s a lie. The truth is, I’m lazy, have great hair, as well as, the fact there hasn’t been much action in regards to my frag or this thread.  So y’all are off the hook this week. But the end of the contest is fast approaching so at some point I am going to have to turn up the heat! You know, because 7,203 Gambian Dalasi’s are on the line!

In frag news, it seems like the STN has stopped and the base is slowly growing again. Also in order to keep up with the Jones’... err @micoastreefing... I went ahead and added a second Prime over my tank. So now the contest frag is getting its own focused and direct beam of light. I have turned down both Prime’s to acclimate the corals but over the next couple weeks with be slowing power them up. Hopefully, I can really juice growth and especially color! *insert evil laugh*

Alright, terrible picture time!

0EA8FAA2-444B-4A31-94D1-BA49136DDA60.jpeg

FE1E6953-EA0D-46AA-B1E2-9D266039AB7B.jpeg

5534208B-5F30-44B5-ABCD-94E4BD9845B6.jpeg

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Very impressive as always Mr. @Cannedfish! 😄 

The STN was just a fake-out! This guy is good...

I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of illegal growth hormone in that tank 😄

Mine is trying to win the award for most encrustation with the least vertical increase. I guess it's a grower not a shower. Or something like that :rolleyes:

I'll post an official measurement shot on my six month date (the 30th). But it won't look much different than this one, which I'm pretty sure is the same exact height it was six months ago.

Upscales Microlados

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Whoop whoop! You know what time it is? That’s right, labor weekend fun-a-palooza!! The official holiday of parent’s celebrating the fact their children are back in school by drinking heavily and yelling at a college football game on TV. If anyone ever asks, it’s moments like these that make America great. That and Coney Island hotdogs. Anyways it’s been awhile since I’m gotten on the computer-machine and ranted about a inch frag of coral on a Friday. For awhile I’ll admit I was sulking because I thought my coral was a goner (I’m a sore loser, sorry) , then I was traveling, then I was celebrating being Louisianan by being just plane lazy. Well, I’m back and ready to drop the sh$t talk hammer. The problem is I really don’t know who is even left, and for those I do know about (me included) nothing been happening.  This is like heckling grass growing. Seriously, the only thing I can really say is that, in all honesty, I’m shocked that @teenyreef wasn’t sandbagging us and his frag isn’t 3 miles long. Anyways, have a safe Labor Day weekend, and don’t do

anything I wouldn’t do. Basically, y’all have a lot of latitude in that department. 

Welpx here my lame frag (at least its coloring up!).

70521A96-364A-451C-ABB8-BA6140A0C952.jpeg

C86BBE4C-47E5-4738-872A-495947E49931.jpeg

25B6C3B7-BDE2-41F5-B2FC-DBA87F1A9A7C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Whoop whoop! You know what time it is? That’s right, labor weekend fun-a-palooza!! The official holiday of parent’s celebrating the fact their children are back in school by drinking heavily and yelling at a college football game on TV. If anyone ever asks, it’s moments like these that make America great. That and Coney Island hotdogs. Anyways it’s been awhile since I’m gotten on the computer-machine and ranted about a inch frag of coral on a Friday. For awhile I’ll admit I was sulking because I thought my coral was a goner (I’m a sore loser, sorry) , then I was traveling, then I was celebrating being Louisianan by being just plane lazy. Well, I’m back and ready to drop the sh$t talk hammer. The problem is I really don’t know who is even left, and for those I do know about (me included) nothing been happening.  This is like heckling grass growing. Seriously, the only thing I can really say is that, in all honesty, I’m shocked that @teenyreef wasn’t sandbagging us and his frag isn’t 3 miles long. Anyways, have a safe Labor Day weekend, and don’t do

anything I wouldn’t do. Basically, y’all have a lot of latitude in that department. 

Welpx here my lame frag (at least its coloring up!).

70521A96-364A-451C-ABB8-BA6140A0C952.jpeg

C86BBE4C-47E5-4738-872A-495947E49931.jpeg

25B6C3B7-BDE2-41F5-B2FC-DBA87F1A9A7C.jpeg

Looks good!

And yes just dropped my kid off to college........and had to buy a cheaper tv to watch football :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic