Coral Vue Hydros

Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef

Nola Bear

Wow I guess shit talking friday has went away :lol: lets see those frags..................

Interesting to see who wins............

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Wow I guess shit talking friday has went away :lol: lets see those frags..................

I think all the shit talkers have lost their “mojo” or they’re out partying... I’m rooting for the latter... 

• Haha 2
39 minutes ago, spectra said:

37 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I think all the shit talkers have lost their “mojo” or they’re out partying... I’m rooting for the latter... 

I didn’t think it would come to this, and I know @spectra too old for this, but desperate times call for desperate measures, so to quote Wu Tang Clan “the sound of horns says it on...” Which in most instances would be correct, but unfortunately, 1) I really can’t talk sh$t to @spectra, because...  a) I think he’s old, and b) look at his tank, and  2) I’ve imbibed too much at an Argentinian steak house (La Boca) and I’m current on the brink of bursting from the lethal combo of heavy red wine and too much steak. (also I may or may not have enjoyed a few rum (or rhum) and cokes towards the tail end of the work week...)

But for all you hooligans thinking  people around these parts have lost the “mojo” or to quote David Bowie “the power of the voodoo, hoodoo, you, do.” Think again, per protocol were bringing Sh$t Talk Friday to Saturday! And if your lucky and if I still have the company credit card, we’re making tee shirts! So until that time here’s our cat angrily dressed as a taco. 

427506A6-997C-4D98-BFBD-F66A480F0AD0.jpeg

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Cannedfish said:

I didn’t think it would come to this, and I know @spectra too old for this, but desperate times call for desperate measures, so to quote Wu Tang Clan “the sound of horns says it on...” Which in most instances would be correct, but unfortunately, 1) I really can’t talk sh$t to @spectra, because...  a) I think he’s old, and b) look at his tank, and  2) I’ve imbibed too much at an Argentinian steak house (La Boca) and I’m current on the brink of bursting from the lethal combo of heavy red wine and too much steak. (also I may or may not have enjoyed a few rum (or rhum) and cokes towards the tail end of the work week...)

But for all you hooligans thinking  people around these parts have lost the “mojo” or to quote David Bowie “the power of the voodoo, hoodoo, you, do.” Think again, per protocol were bringing Sh$t Talk Friday to Saturday! And if your lucky and if I still have the company credit card, we’re making tee shirts! So until that time here’s our cat angrily dressed as a taco. 

427506A6-997C-4D98-BFBD-F66A480F0AD0.jpeg

First off thats a lame ass taco cat :lol: only coors light and a few kabobs on the grill tonight.................your meal sounds much better.........

I am thinking a visit to the store is in order............white russians sound really good for some reason...............the female kind would be great but the wife would probably not go for it so........the drink might have to do for now...........

Welp, you know what time it is! That’s right: post meat coma, early in the morning, where’s the Advil, get me some coffee and fatty French pastries, let’s do this time! Nobody cares, but to use the parlance of today teens, New Orleans is HOT AF right now! We’re looking at upper 90’s with 80% humidity. Because we live a 140 year old house and everyone throughout the house’s entire history thought that large windows, no insulation, and one AC vent in the master bedroom was a great combo (it was even renovated/lived in by an LSU architecture professor, WTF), I had to sleep on the couch last night, because at about 3:30 this morning I gave in and couldn’t handle the 85 degree bedroom anymore. Normally, this is not an issue, the downstairs is delightfully cool and our couch has down cushions, but today the damn house chicken decided that 5:30 was great clucking time to start her Saturday and TacoCat decided the best place to sleep was my chest. So we may have to make that aforementioned coffee a double. You know what they say, nothing pairs better with a generous amount of red wine like a sh$tty night sleep. 

OH, IT’S ALSO SHIT TALK SATURDAY!!

So here’s where we’re at. In my little box of chaos, the week was pretty uneventful despite an initial fear that a alk spike was going to melt some acros. To bad suckers, it didn’t, I’m still in the game. @micoastreefing has fired up the Death Star so things are about to get interesting not only for the planet Alderaan but also for the contest. Knowing that he’s probably going to surge ahead of everyone shortly, I took one for the team, and tried desperately hard to jinx him earlier this week, to no avail. It looks like it’s time to stop pulling the punches and visit Sally Ann Glassman. You heard me right, New Orleans’ premier Kennebunkport born Jewish Voodoo priestess and holistic medicine expert. After last night, I’m ready to sacrifice at least one chicken. Meanwhile, @TheBig053 after deciding acros were too easy, moved on, and switched gears to growing-out small humans. Who knows what @This guy is extra salty is doing, but it’s not growing a certain frag. And @teenyreef after deciding it’s boring winning TOTM every month, has decided to take his considerable skills to print media (congrats teeny!). Also, I have at least one Crisp Abe Lincoln saying that he’s sandbagging. Oh, and last but not least, @spectra, despite not even being in the contest, has found a way to troll us all hard, and show everyone what growing out a frag actually means. I’m not unconvinced that he’s actually the true winner of this contest. 

Phew, that was a long one. With that being said I think I have finally sweated out last night, and can get off this excerise bike. I’ve got trouble to cause. Per protocol, here’s my crappy weekly pic. Happy Sh$t Talk Saturday, b$tches!!

5F11835D-A351-4BF5-A5F3-F2D17A5330F3.jpeg

F89CB4B6-31B9-4BC6-9FF4-B2F872043238.jpeg

24113B5C-0D4C-43DA-A90E-84CF937DE3FC.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Wow 2
mitten_reef
12 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Welp, you know what time it is! That’s right: post meat coma, early in the morning, where’s the Advil, get me some coffee and fatty French pastries, let’s do this time! Nobody cares, but to use the parlance of today teens, New Orleans is HOT AF right now! We’re looking at upper 90’s with 80% humidity. Because we live a 140 year old house and everyone throughout the house’s entire history thought that large windows, no insulation, and one AC vent in the master bedroom was a great combo (it was even renovated/lived in by an LSU architecture professor, WTF), I had to sleep on the couch last night, because at about 3:30 this morning I gave in and couldn’t handle the 85 degree bedroom anymore. Normally, this is not an issue, the downstairs is delightfully cool and our couch has down cushions, but today the damn house chicken decided that 5:30 was great clucking time to start her Saturday and TacoCat decided the best place to sleep was my chest. So we may have to make that aforementioned coffee a double. You know what they say, nothing pairs better with a generous amount of red wine like a sh$tty night sleep. 

OH, IT’S ALSO SHIT TALK SATURDAY!!

So here’s where we’re at. In my little box of chaos, the week was pretty uneventful despite an initial fear that a alk spike was going to melt some acros. To bad suckers, it didn’t, I’m still in the game. @micoastreefing has fired up the Death Star so things are about to get interesting not only for the planet Alderaan but also for the contest. Knowing that he’s probably going to surge ahead of everyone shortly, I took one for the team, and tried desperately hard to jinx him earlier this week, to no avail. It looks like it’s time to stop pulling the punches and visit Sally Ann Glassman. You heard me right, New Orleans’ premier Kennebunkport born Jewish Voodoo priestess and holistic medicine expert. After last night, I’m ready to sacrifice at least one chicken. Meanwhile, @TheBig053 after deciding acros were too easy, moved on, and switched gears to growing-out small humans. Who knows what @This guy is extra salty is doing, but it’s not growing a certain frag. And @teenyreef after deciding it’s boring winning TOTM every month, has decided to take his considerable skills to print media (congrats teeny!). Also, I have at least one Crisp Abe Lincoln saying that he’s sandbagging. Oh, and last but not least, @spectra, despite not even being in the contest, has found a way to troll us all hard, and show everyone what growing out a frag actually means. I’m not unconvinced that he’s actually the true winner of this contest. 

Phew, that was a long one. With that being said I think I have finally sweated out last night, and can get off this excerise bike. I’ve got trouble to cause. Per protocol, here’s my crappy weekly pic. Happy Sh$t Talk Saturday, b$tches!!

5F11835D-A351-4BF5-A5F3-F2D17A5330F3.jpeg

F89CB4B6-31B9-4BC6-9FF4-B2F872043238.jpeg

24113B5C-0D4C-43DA-A90E-84CF937DE3FC.jpeg

Feels like other contestants are gonna have to do something drastic to get the kind of growth spurts you’re having. Just curious, r all your acros hitting the stride all at once?  I recall the red dragon was doing really well too. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Feels like other contestants are gonna have to do something drastic to get the kind of growth spurts you’re having. Just curious, r all your acros hitting the stride all at once?  I recall the red dragon was doing really well too. 

Yeah, all SPS in my tank (save for one or two frags) is exhibiting clear weekly growth, whether it’s encrusting or throwing out new branches. Some (WWC AP / Gila Monster / red dragon) are at this point almost showing visible daily growth. But honestly, I’m not sure why.  Things have been slightly more stable, but not crazy stable. I haven’t been using a glass lid, and because of the summer temps in LA my tank is running 2-3 degrees higher than normal (80-84). Plus the last two months I have been running alk higher (8.0 - 8.5); it be any one of these things or all or something else, I don’t know. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Meanwhile, @TheBig053 after deciding acros were too easy, moved on, and switched gears to growing-out small humans.

Much like hunting, humans are the ultimate game! Wait, did I say that out loud? 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef
On 7/31/2018 at 9:23 AM, Cannedfish said:

Looks like I may be out. After going away for the weekend, the base of my frag has begun to STN. It was a good run.

r u just saying that so the rest of us - with still living frags - get complacent? 

This is becoming an acro-survival contest....

Note to any future grow-out contest organizers, let's try not to have the final stretch of the race land smack in the middle of vacation seasons.  There may be less chance of contestants don't tripping up with days/weeks away on vacations.   

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

r u just saying that so the rest of us - with still living frags - get complacent? 

This is becoming an acro-survival contest....

Note to any future grow-out contest organizers, let's try not to have the final stretch of the race land smack in the middle of vacation seasons.  There may be less chance of contestants don't tripping up with days/weeks away on vacations.   

Unfortunately, not. Had significant STN on the base this weekend which is continuing to spread, I highly doubt that it will make through the nine days I'm away in two weeks, let alone survive two more months,  which is a huge bummer because it has been continuing to put on significant growth. Really a huge bummer; takes really takes the wind out of the reefing obsession.

• Sad 1
tanacharison
7 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Unfortunately, not. Had significant STN on the base this weekend which is continuing to spread, I highly doubt that it will make through the nine days I'm away in two weeks, let alone survive two more months,  which is a huge bummer because it has been continuing to put on significant growth. Really a huge bummer; takes really takes the wind out of the reefing obsession.

You might be ok. My magi started to STN at the base 3 weeks ago after I lost power for a day and has remained unchanged.

This guy is extra salty

I come back to the thread and I feel like I just got bummed that @Cannedfish will be out.. I’m hoping it will pull through, I’m glad I have my frag in 200 gallons of awesomeness 🤣  

who’s ready for frag Friday?

A0727C4D-52A4-4FBA-8DD0-8D00891F8A6A.thumb.jpeg.3ae4e5ebf0606a14171f8b14ebe71efb.jpeg

• Like 2

Dang, so many dropping off. Not in the contest, but here's my frag. All done with the glue encrustation. Slowly thickening up and growing. No polyp extension thanks to my mitratus. 😒

2018_08_02_upscales_microlados_6weeks.jp

Also got a new toy for when I have to frag next.

image.thumb.png.587502c4f9384811252b2352be35aeb2.png

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
8 hours ago, Ebn said:

image.thumb.png.587502c4f9384811252b2352be35aeb2.png

That’s a nice saw but I didn’t like the price tag 😂  how do you like it?

mitten_reef
On 3/1/2018 at 6:55 PM, Nola Bear said:

It's the first Friday of August!!! What happened to 2018?

OK, who still has surviving frags in this contest, seemed like there had been 2 confirmed losses recently (@pal and @TheBig053)?  I have seen only a handful of ppl that post updated shots regularly and/or semi-regularly, what happened to the rest? 

• Like 1
Cultivated Reef
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Good call on roll call @micoastreefing! It's hard to keep track of everyone over the busy summers, we've even lost our host @Nola Bear to the sunshine! @Cultivated Reef and I are still here though! omgomgomg

P.S. Hi @Ebn 👋

Yes we are!!!!  It is getting close for people to begin posting the final pictures etc so everyone still “in this” needs to post those pics on time based on their 6 month marks (give or take a couple day). As a reminder I decided to increased the winners pot to $150 just to sweeten the deal.  So this is pretty sizable 😎

• Like 2
13 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That’s a nice saw but I didn’t like the price tag 😂  how do you like it?

Haven't really cut anything sizable with it so not exactly sure. Was planning to use it on a couple of my chalices (pink boobie, mummy eye) in the near future since they're getting sizable (pushing 3.5"). 

👋@Christopher Marks

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic