Coral Vue Hydros

Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef

Nola Bear

1 minute ago, TheBig053 said:

Since we’re bragging about encrusting. I’ll just leave this right here. 

5B800163-A78D-4107-91E9-8656361D978B.thumb.jpeg.6fe3d247362cd113db24264d691a0c0d.jpeg

Polyp extension could be better. Need to find a spot with more flow to mount it this weekend.

PHOTOSHOP!!!

Obviously with that kind of growth you must be doping! Doping I say! Call the IOC! 

Just kidding (not kidding)! That growth is awesome!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

To quote LL Cool J, “don’t call it a comeback, I’ve been here for years...”

Before I kill it, feast your eyes on this on this sweet sweet encrustment! 

CADD4641-E325-42F1-ADC7-4D7F7E2F15E6.jpeg

48 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Since we’re bragging about encrusting. I’ll just leave this right here. 

5B800163-A78D-4107-91E9-8656361D978B.thumb.jpeg.6fe3d247362cd113db24264d691a0c0d.jpeg

Polyp extension could be better. Need to find a spot with more flow to mount it this weekend.

Dang.. I  have to go give my frag a pep talk. Currently brown and not doing much. 

2018-04-06_06-45-08

• Like 5
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

To quote LL Cool J, “don’t call it a comeback, I’ve been here for years...”

Before I kill it, feast your eyes on this on this sweet sweet encrustment! 

CADD4641-E325-42F1-ADC7-4D7F7E2F15E6.jpeg

Looks like you’re also winning the bubble algae grow out contest in that pic. ?

• Haha 4
28 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Looks like you’re also winning the bubble algae grow out contest in that pic. ?

Cannedresponses (my other handle):

1. Obviously I’m also in an algae grow out contest and winning. I grow the bigliest algae ever. So big. You have never seen bigger, better, more pleasurable algae balls. 

2. Fake algae. @micoastreefing grows more algae and his fragsit will steal your sisters frags and pee in your tank. 

3. Whatever. (Cries into pillow)

4. Let’s all agree sh@t talking is the best. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
Okinawa_Reefer

So many people with frags encrusting! Though I think I was last to receive my frag...here’s to hoping it’ll encrust soon! 

• Like 5
This guy is extra salty
2 minutes ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

So many people with frags encrusting! Though I think I was last to receive my frag...here’s to hoping it’ll encrust soon! 

I second that @Okinawa_Reefer I think we’re the last two... don’t worry we’ll have the last laugh ...at the end of the month lol!

• Like 6
45 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I second that @Okinawa_Reefer I think we’re the last two... don’t worry we’ll have the last laugh ...at the end of the month lol!

We are the three musketeers of late coral growth. I think I got mine a day or two before you guys.

But corals take forever to encrust in my tank. I get good color but slow growth. 

Wait, why did I do this contest again? :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

PHOTOSHOP!!!

Obviously with that kind of growth you must be doping! Doping I say! Call the IOC! 

Just kidding (not kidding)! That growth is awesome!

I knew the shrunken polyps would be a dead give away that my frag was juicing. Bigger, faster, stronger, yeah!  

Guess I should have photoshopped in some polyps while I was at it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

We are the three musketeers of late coral growth. I think I got mine a day or two before you guys.

But corals take forever to encrust in my tank. I get good color but slow growth. 

Wait, why did I do this contest again? :rolleyes:

I think it all depends on the coral to. I have an acro that has grown 2 to 3 inches and also another frag that hasn't grown at all just colored up and that's it. To be honest it looks the same to me as it did the day I put it in the tank.......

Pics are looking good so far though..........

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Official Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sponsored by Cultivated Reef

It’s that time of the week again, The Harold Barnes Friday Cool Down! So grab a cold one and let that sweet sweet nectar smooth your soul. I’ll wait...

*waiting....

*still waiting...

Ok good, now that that’s behind us, it’s also time for: the Annual Weekly Friday Night Grow-Out Contest Sh!t Talking Throw-Down!! I know @teenyreef is too busy making sure his tanks are too pretty to function, and  @micoastreefing is absolutely slammed teaching his lights how to swim... but here’s a big ole hors d’oeuvres platter of encrustment to dig into while you wait for your wife to get dressed for your fancy Friday night dinner!

Also I got a pistol shrimp (appropriately named Toby Shrimp the Goby Shrimp). 

0C6CBDBC-92B5-43C8-9C02-E27BD15B365D.jpeg

2A470A87-FD41-4BE6-9912-329B3C1DBAB2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

It’s that time of the week again, The Harold Barnes Friday Cool Down! So grab a cold one and let that sweet sweet nectar smooth your soul. I’ll wait...

*waiting....

*still waiting...

Ok good, now that that’s behind us, it’s also time for: the Annual Weekly Friday Night Grow-Out Contest Sh!t Talking Throw-Down!! I know @teenyreef is too busy making sure his tanks are too pretty to function, and  @micoastreefing is absolutely slammed teaching his lights how to swim... but here’s a big ole hors d’oeuvres platter of encrustment to dig into while you wait for your wife to get dressed for your fancy Friday night dinner!

That pistol shrimp is going to bury that coral :lol:

• Like 1
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

*waiting....

*still waiting...

my light still couldn't swim.  Cherish that pic of your pistol shrimp, it's gonna be a long time until you see him again.  I think I put mine in 2 months ago, still hear the snaps, but never seen it whole again - saw a claw pushing sand out of the cave once. 

nice encrustment on the frag.  my JV league light is not very fun to take pics with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Okinawa_Reefer

Well ladies and gentlemen...I may be taking a back seat on this one. A snail knocked over my frag and it fell onto a much larger, angrier, stronger Acro. My frag has lost the top half of it's tissue. I have re glued it back onto the rock, but I'm not sure if it'll bounce back. Do you think I should snip off the dead portion off of the top?

• Sad 4

Bummer!! I would be willing to donate to a kickstarter to get you a new one. If you’ve read any of my journal you know that I love both cheating and sabotage, however, I only love cheating if it involves Eastern European Women’s Olympic Weightlifting and sabotage if it involves the relationship between Shane Stant’s baton and Nancy Kerrigan’s knee. This is obviously the work of the Russians... so not cool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
mitten_reef

So apparently it’s been over a month since my official starter pic. I can attest to the fact that my frag did not grow much, if any at all. Much like @Cannedfish‘s frag, mine is only interested in encrusting so far for this first month. However, there is some promising signs for next month. 

I’ll get my pic this wknd, and shared Friday or Saturday night, traveling for work this week. 

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

Well ladies and gentlemen...I may be taking a back seat on this one. A snail knocked over my frag and it fell onto a much larger, angrier, stronger Acro. My frag has lost the top half of it's tissue. I have re glued it back onto the rock, but I'm not sure if it'll bounce back. Do you think I should snip off the dead portion off of the top?

Dip it! Don’t snip it

it might come back.. I have had an acro and a couple of montipora  go thru Stn/RTN and a battle with frogspawn.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/13/2018 at 11:20 PM, micoastreefing said:

my light still couldn't swim.  Cherish that pic of your pistol shrimp, it's gonna be a long time until you see him again.  I think I put mine in 2 months ago, still hear the snaps, but never seen it whole again - saw a claw pushing sand out of the cave once. 

nice encrustment on the frag.  my JV league light is not very fun to take pics with. 

My candy stripe disappeared for a good two or three months before I ever saw him again. And even now I don't see him for days at a time.

• Like 2

I popped mine off the plug and glued it right up high in the middle of the tank about a week ago. I got it right at the end of last month, so it's about three weeks old now. It's not encrusting yet, but I was able to preserve the glue at the base of the frag where it started to encrust, and I think (maybe) it's encrusting out to the edge of the old glue.

The good news is it hasn't died, hasn't broken off and fallen into another coral, and hasn't bleached out. So I feel like I'm ready to start trash talking, @Cannedfish!

Except I suck at trash talking. Your mama! So there! :blush:

I'll post a new measurement at the end of the month, but I expect it will be exactly what it was at the end of last month :)

Upscales Microlados

• Like 6
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Dip it! Don’t snip it

it might come back.. I have had an acro and a couple of montipora  go thru Stn/RTN and a battle with frogspawn.. 

Wow, that really sucks. I'll donate to the kickstarter too :)

I agree with @This guy is extra salty. The less you mess with it the better, and hopefully since it isn't being stung any more it won't rtn.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Upscales Microlados Acro Grow-Out Contest sp. by Cultivated Reef
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic