Pod Your Reef

JBJ 45 gal rimless tank

flyby35

hi all, I'm a newbie to this salt water aquarium.  I plan to buy JBJ 45 gal rim less tank but I'm not sure what all the parts that I need to buy with it.  Can someone help me?  So if I buy the JBJ tank, they will have basic part that I can use?

tank, pump, filter & protein skimmer?

Thanks

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

The JBJ Nano Cube 45 contains an integrated filtration system: https://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Nano_Cube_45_Gallon_RL_Rimless_Biotope_Aquarium_Medium_Large_Saltwater_Aquariums-JBJ_Lighting-JB01382-FIAQML-vi.html

It comes with the tank, return pumps, and some stock media.  It does not come with a protein skimmer, powerhead for the display, light, heater, rock, etc.

Most people don't use the included bio-media (as live rock will perform the necessary biofiltration).  And, if you want, you could choose to upgrade the stock media basket with an inTank media basket: https://shop.mediabaskets.com/Rimless-Nano-Cube-45_c92.htm

Then you might also choose to run different media in the basket, instead of the stock media (like floss instead of sponges, activated carbon, PhosGuard, or some other media like ChemiPure.

RL-30_Back_ff354dba-87bb-4d72-abd3-38225

Manual:  http://www.jbjlighting.com/media/rl30Manual.pdf

42 minutes ago, flyby35 said:

for this tank, it has several chamber in the back.  Can you tell me what do I put in each chambers?  I’m confuse with this tank

If you are leaving it stock, I'd probably put filter floss on the top shelf, and then a media bag filled with your favorite chemical filter media in the next.  I personally wouldn't use the sponges or biological filter media that comes with it.

Thank you so much!  I looked at the picture & it has 4 chambers. 

Looking from the back left to right:  left chamber would be water flow in with media.  Then, the water will overflow to middle chamber which is your pump.  What is the right chamber for?  Sorry, I'm asking too much detail but I'm so confuse with this all in one tank.  Thank you so much for your help

HarryPotter
3 minutes ago, flyby35 said:

Thank you so much!  I looked at the picture & it has 4 chambers. 

Looking from the back left to right:  left chamber would be water flow in with media.  Then, the water will overflow to middle chamber which is your pump.  What is the right chamber for?  Sorry, I'm asking too much detail but I'm so confuse with this all in one tank.  Thank you so much for your help

It’s symmetrical. Dual overflows- one on each side. Dual media baskets. Center has the pumps. Check out my (not retired) JBJ 45 gallon thread in my signature, I posted tons of pictures s 

haha, I changed my mind.  I will stick with JBJ 45 all in one tank.  Your reefer 350 looks complicated :)  I'm still a newbie in this fishing stuff

HarryPotter
23 minutes ago, flyby35 said:

thank you so much Harry.  So would you recommend me buy Reefer 350 or JBJ all in one tank?  Your setup looks awesome.

Oh, a reefer 350 so much better IMO. It’s beautiful; no curved glass, much clearer glass, has a sump, etc. it’s actually not that complicated; water falls down into the sump, and has a return pump that pushes it up back into the display. In an all-in-one aquarium, you lose like 4.5 inches of the display due to the rear filtration!

The two tanks don’t really compare. The pricing and quality is much higher in a reefer. I got the reefer used in an incredible deal that made it essentially free after selling all the extras. 

If if you are going JBJ, do NOT get the one with curved corners. They have a new 45 gallon model that has the same features as the old one but has square glass. The rounded corners scratch really easily.

Check our Waterbox- right at or near Red Sea Reefer but less expensive. 

• Like 1

I was looking at Inovative tank & JBJ tank.  But after you recommend me waterbox, I really like waterbox the best.  I think I will pick waterbox 30 gall all in one tank.  thank you so much

• 3 years later...

Welcome Destroyer.

In general, 20 to 30 times total turnover is good (although you'd need more for certain SPS corals).  That's 300 to 450gph total flow for a 15 gallon tank.  This includes your return pump as well as a powerhead in your display.  So yes, people typically add a small powerhead in the display (also to add redundancy and randomize flow patterns).