inTank Media Baskets

My Liquid Blue’s 20H

MyLiquidBlue29BC

MyLiquidBlue29BC

FTS:

Day 1C0441448-F3EA-4AC3-AA51-BB24A10FFFF8.thumb.jpeg.c811bbd11f6d96bfca2897f14ce6d4db.jpeg

20 Gallon High 

30 lbs dry rock from Reef Cleaners

3 lbs live rock

20 lbs sand

HOB AquaClear 110

Hydor 425

100w Colbalt Neo-Therm heater

AquaMaxx Nemo Light 

Livestock:

CUC: Dwarf Cerith, Florida Cerith, Nassarius Vibex, Nerite, Zig Zag Periwinkles, hermit crabs 

Macroalgae: Ulva, Red Gracilaria 

Coral:

Ricordea

Mushrooms

Planned Livestock:

Variety of Macroalgae

Yuma

Zoas

Pompom Crab

Porcelain Crab

Dragonette

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I’m really excited to finally have this tank up. I’ve been collecting all the things for it a little at a time for about a year. (I’m not exactly rolling in money over here ;) ) It’s my third reef tank and only current one. 

The ammonia is at .5 ppm on day two. The cycle has begun. :D

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I added most of my CUC yesterday, some macro, and some pods. All ordered from Reef Cleaners. 

They shipped an indeterminate amount of Dwarf Cerith and Zig Zag Periwinkle snails, but more than I ordered. I didn’t count, though. I got five Florida Cerith, five Nassarius Vibex, and eight Nerite snails. I also added a bag of assorted pods to kick start some Dragonette food. 

They had Ulva and Red Gracilaria in stock, so I added that too. 

BCD09EB4-85D2-4AED-8041-3BFA05DA85FB.thumb.jpeg.9de4fb626d968bc462b269ab3f110f97.jpeg

HarryPotter

Reef Cleaners is definitely guilty of over-sending: when I recommended them to a friend with a 10g, I suggested that he write in the comments that he did NOT want extras :D

Freebies are fantastic, but sometimes you can get two dozen of one type when you only wanted five! 

• Like 1
MyLiquidBlue29BC

I’ve ordered from them before. Thankfully I knew what I was getting into  ?. The first time I ordered from them I ended up giving half the Dwarf Cerith to someone in the local reef group. 

I like your screen name, btw. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan. :) 

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I found an aiptasia hanging out in my ulva today. The only other hitchhikers so far have been garden variety, beneficial organisms.  

The clean up crew is doing a great job and the nuisance algae is gone. 

How is getting rid f the aiptasia going.  I had to get rid of the rock that had aiptaisa and is doing fine.  How are you going to get pods for your dragonette

The tank looks nice

• Thanks 1
MyLiquidBlue29BC

Since the aiptasia was just in my maco, it was easy to pull out the clump of algae and get rid of it. Sorry you had to get rid on an entire rock. 

The tank has 33 lbs of rock and I plan on putting Chaeto in the HOB filter and in the display...That should allow for a good pod population to grow because they will have a lot of places to live. This set up worked really well in my previous tank, which was a 30 gallon hex with 40 lbs of rock. I always had pods on the glass even after adding a dragonette. But I also plan on getting a dragonette that eats mysis and limiting competition for pods by not having any other fish. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
MyLiquidBlue29BC

The tanks been up for about a month and a half. This is my first open top tank and I’m pretty amazed at the amount of evaporation and salt creep. I go through about 2.5 gallons of top off a week. I’m really happy with how nicely the base rock is purpling up, though. 

Over all I’m still really happy with the set up. 

EFE047B8-F0E8-4CF6-842C-DA330337DCE8.thumb.jpeg.1d5ed757e20a7a9d6d79c99e789c20fc.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
MyLiquidBlue29BC

I added two recordea and a mushroom two weeks ago. I put them all about mid hight in the tank. Since my tank is deep for this light, I figured that was a good place to start. The recordea seem pretty happy, but the mushroom relocated itself to a shadey spot on the very bottom of the rock tower. 

I have some GHA that I need to take care of. My plan is to see if I can add some chaeto and caulerpa prolifera to out compete it. 

I’m starting to see lots pods and little things on the glass. Once I get the GHA taken care of, I think it’ll be time to add a fish. 

B4432C4D-AEAE-4424-8C15-9B0CDE18A97A.thumb.jpeg.087957ec932a0ef2636a6e77d6193a58.jpegDD2F5A2F-D620-447D-8E28-DEE8A699A5F1.thumb.jpeg.77de63745aeaf96bde8a5fa443bc066f.jpeg

MyLiquidBlue29BC
2 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

I really like your scape! 

Thank you!

I’ve always liked the way tall rock scapes look...like you lifted a tiny piece of reef out of a bigger tank :)