Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Did I just make my first mistake?

CarolinaShoreReef

CarolinaShoreReef
4 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I would move it so that the fleshy heads don't rub up against the rock (on the right).

Great catch! I'm about to do a water change (unless that's not a good idea) and give the thing a good scrub and remove the dead heads. 

CarolinaShoreReef

Just removed the dead skeleton and this piece ended up breaking off it was so brittle so I glued it to a plug. I dipped them in revive again because when that piece broke off a giant worm was in there. I probably stressed them more than I should have but I didn't know what to do in that situation. 

image.jpg

Always dip your corals, its inviting disaster not to. I prefer Bayer. Its an insecticide you can find at home depot. Super strong, can use it on all true corals (Not clams, anemones, etc). 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
41 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Always dip your corals, its inviting disaster not to. I prefer Bayer. Its an insecticide you can find at home depot. Super strong, can use it on all true corals (Not clams, anemones, etc). 

I've used Bayer before. I always dip I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea to dip again since I saw that worm. It didn't get killed or come out when I dipped though...

46 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Ouch man, screw that LFS for taking your money and running.  

Yeah I was a minnow swimming in a sharks tank ?

If you find a good LFS, support it :)  I got lucky with my local one and I’m fine spending a few more dollars to keep them around, but they tend to have great pricing and are not looking to make the monthly budget off of you by overcharging for silly stuff like that coral.  If they said take it for 5 bucks, get it healthy and frag it for placement then that’s fine.  But thanks for the 20 bucks, smh.  It’s on them not you.  

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
52 minutes ago, Flexin said:

If you find a good LFS, support it :)  I got lucky with my local one and I’m fine spending a few more dollars to keep them around, but they tend to have great pricing and are not looking to make the monthly budget off of you by overcharging for silly stuff like that coral.  If they said take it for 5 bucks, get it healthy and frag it for placement then that’s fine.  But thanks for the 20 bucks, smh.  It’s on them not you.  

Yes I go to fintastic only now, they treat me perfect there and understand I'm a student so they knock off price wherever they can (even price match when it doesn't fall below their unit price). They don't over charge, it's where I got all my other frags and they run great bogo deals all of the time. I will always support them and we're in the process of setting up a date for me to film an intro video for them. I already featured them on my YouTube channel but want to give them their own video for advertisement! 

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

So... that lfs ended up seeing my video and wants to make it up to me. At least they're owning up to it. I will let you all know how they take care of it.

• Like 3

That's good.

Owning up to it is one thing, making sure it doesn't happen again is another....  Have they agreed to stop selling crap frags for more than they're worth to everyone who shops there (not just you)? :) 

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
13 hours ago, samnaz said:

That's good.

Owning up to it is one thing, making sure it doesn't happen again is another....  Have they agreed to stop selling crap frags for more than they're worth to everyone who shops there (not just you)? :) 

Not very sure on that. They told me it should have been sold for $10

CarolinaShoreReef

Alright everybody, I’m really pleased to tell you guys the that lfs did me really well with making up for selling me that. They let me choose whatever I wanted from the store, within reason. I felt like a kid in a candy shop lol. I ended up picking up a tongue fungia and a green and purple tip torch. I’ll have to wait a bit to post pictures on them when they open up in a little bit.

Also, the candy cane is really bouncing back, im hoping to frag it in a couple weeks. I’ve heard on here to go down a inch from the head, does that sound about right, just want to make sure. Thanks everybody!

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef

They've opened up (fungia still not 100% "open")!!! Loving the colors, exactly what I was looking to get. Played with the brightness on these pics but pretty true to color. 

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg

IMG_5222.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

burtbollinger

not sure why its the store's fault you bought a 'dying' coral. 

A coral you "didnt particularly like" that you thought you were getting a "good deal" on.  

You were perfectly happy when you thought you were coming out ahead on the deal....

10-20 bucks was fair.  

simple rookie mistake...I'd have just moved on.  

or I guess theres the alternative approach....go on youtube and forums, passively aggressively threaten a small business owner,  take 2 nicer corals for your trouble. no shame in that.

just as a heads up....every LFS will have a ton of stuff for sale that you probably shouldnt bring home....if you bring it home, thats on you, IMO.

• Like 2
burtbollinger
On 3/1/2018 at 1:36 AM, samnaz said:

That's good.

lol.  No other LFS does this, right? 

the horror and the nerve of an LFS trying to sell a marginal coral for 20 dollars!  

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
14 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

10-20 bucks was fair.  

just as a heads up....every LFS will have a ton of stuff for sale that you probably shouldnt bring home....if you bring it home, thats on you, IMO.

or I guess theres the alternative approach....go on youtube and forums passively aggressively threaten a small business owner, have them give in and take 2 nicer corals for your trouble.   theres no shame in that.

I don't see why you're so hurt about the situation. I moved on without needing anything done for me. They offered to make it up to me so that I'd continue supporting them. I never mentioned the stores name in my video so as to not hurt their reputation. It was made to prevent other rookies from over paying on a dying coral. Thanks for your opinion, seems like your okay with that kind of stuff. And just a heads up I took the blame in the video. 

• Sad 1
burtbollinger
12 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I don't see why you're so hurt about the situation. I moved on without needing anything done for me. They offered to make it up to me so that I'd continue supporting them. I never mentioned the stores name in my video so as to not hurt their reputation. It was made to prevent other rookies from over paying on a dying coral. Thanks for your opinion, seems like your okay with that kind of stuff. And just a heads up I took the blame in the video. 

not hurt...I just find it funny that you were perfectly happy when you thought you were coming out ahead on the deal....A coral you "didnt particularly like" that you thought you were getting a "good deal" on.  

glad it all worked out for you.

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
Just now, burtbollinger said:

not hurt...I just find it funny that you were perfectly happy when you thought you were coming out ahead on the deal....A coral you "didnt particularly like" that you thought you were getting a "good deal" on.  

glad it all worked out for you.   

Lol I thought it was a healthy piece for a fair price, I wasn't thinking I'd be "coming out on top." I have only been in the hobby since January (yeah a winter hop on). I never mind paying some extra bucks to help out the local guys, after all they're one of the only two lfs within an hour near me and I've been going since I was a kid for their freshwater section. The store didn't even care about the video (didn't ask me to take it down just to make a rebuttal), they've been around for ten years. All of the staff there are great, which is why i didn't put the stores name in this forum or my video. They just unfortunately had a new employee help me that day who thought of a price on the spot, mistakes happen like me buying a dying coral. We've both owned up to it. Like I said, I want to help prevent other newbies from making the same mistake. I did however take it too far to talk about their salt (but even the employees mess around with me about it lol) and the ro water, which I'll make up for in the follow-up video they requested. But all is good now and the bridge is forever strong between us haha. 

• Like 2

We all make a mistake like this at some point...  I tend to think that you came off a bit strong earlier in this thread by claiming that you got "ripped off".  Where agreeing to buy a coral in plain view and at a known price seems like the exact opposite - you just have buyers remorse.  I went to a frag swap today and a guy next to me was buying up several expensive frags - ones that I wouldn't touch! Not because they were bad frags but because they were not something I wanted.  The phrase "to each his own" rings loud and clear in this hobby.  I saw small 1-3 head candycane frags going for $15-$30 at many of the vendors though.  They were obviously more healthy looking.  The coral you got looks like it should be a throw in for someone that spends a decent amount of money in the store.

What I see much more often as a "beginner mistake" is someone buying a coral that's too difficult for them and then being cheesed off that it dies or hurts other corals in their tank.  Specific examples are goni/alveopora, anemones, galaxea, GSP, and torch corals too. Do be wary of the torch sweepers.  Also check that plate coral at night...  I had a plate once that had some pretty decent sweeper tentacles.

My beginner mistake was buying what I thought was a truly awesome piece of LR.  It had pieces of kenya tree, GSP, and a 1" blastomussa colony on it!  I was super excited to get it in my tank when I realized that it was infested with over 50 aiptasia anemones.  

EDIT: I just watched the video and you say that you were told by the LFS employee that "this is what a baby growing candycane looks like".   If that's the case then straight up you got ripped off and they should refund your money.  I guess I didn't get that sense from your initial post... 

• Like 2
CarolinaShoreReef
26 minutes ago, ajmckay said:

We all make a mistake like this at some point...  I tend to think that you came off a bit strong earlier in this thread by claiming that you got "ripped off".  Where agreeing to buy a coral in plain view and at a known price seems like the exact opposite - you just have buyers remorse.  I went to a frag swap today and a guy next to me was buying up several expensive frags - ones that I wouldn't touch! Not because they were bad frags but because they were not something I wanted.  The phrase "to each his own" rings loud and clear in this hobby.  I saw small 1-3 head candycane frags going for $15-$30 at many of the vendors though.  They were obviously more healthy looking.  The coral you got looks like it should be a throw in for someone that spends a decent amount of money in the store.

What I see much more often as a "beginner mistake" is someone buying a coral that's too difficult for them and then being cheesed off that it dies or hurts other corals in their tank.  Specific examples are goni/alveopora, anemones, galaxea, GSP, and torch corals too. Do be wary of the torch sweepers.  Also check that plate coral at night...  I had a plate once that had some pretty decent sweeper tentacles.

My beginner mistake was buying what I thought was a truly awesome piece of LR.  It had pieces of kenya tree, GSP, and a 1" blastomussa colony on it!  I was super excited to get it in my tank when I realized that it was infested with over 50 aiptasia anemones.  

EDIT: I just watched the video and you say that you were told by the LFS employee that "this is what a baby growing candycane looks like".   If that's the case then straight up you got ripped off and they should refund your money.  I guess I didn't get that sense from your initial post... 

There's a lot to learn in this hobby. Main point of the video was to help others not over pay for a dying coral (or stay away from it all together). If i wanted to put the LFS down I would have just done a review.. There's no hard feelings between the lfs and I. There's a follow-up video coming out too to make up for everything. 

I hear you on the LR lol I bought some from them *knowing it had aiptasia* but it was easy to take care of with my peppermint. He's now locked up though for foul play... 

Actually, looks like the 1st mistake you made was buying that shrimp ;)

funny video (for me) but dont kill the shrimp... 

its kind of well known these guys can rip up LPS and you could have just gotten rid of the aptasia with a needle and some boiling water. Thats how I kill the aptasia I get now and again from corals. 

Put him in a breeder box or tupperware with holes and donate him to the LFS tomorrow. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah peppermint shrimp (and most shrimp for that matter) can be a bit of a regret...   crabs and shrimp always = with caution.  

I just got a torch myself today and I would be super frustrated if I saw a shrimp going at it.  Hmmm...  that being said a sexy shrimp is literally sitting on it as I type this...  

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Actually, looks like the 1st mistake you made was buying that shrimp ;)

funny video (for me) but dont kill the shrimp... 

its kind of well known these guys can rip up LPS and you could have just gotten rid of the aptasia with a needle and some boiling water. Thats how I kill the aptasia I get now and again from corals. 

Put him in a breeder box or tupperware with holes and donate him to the LFS tomorrow. 

Thats exactly what I'm doing haha

CarolinaShoreReef
5 minutes ago, ajmckay said:

Yeah peppermint shrimp (and most shrimp for that matter) can be a bit of a regret...   crabs and shrimp always = with caution.  

I just got a torch myself today and I would be super frustrated if I saw a shrimp going at it.  Hmmm...  that being said a sexy shrimp is literally sitting on it as I type this...  

Haha keep an eye out on him it happens quick. 

He did serve his job really well though with the nems so I must commend him for his service. 

HarryPotter
9 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

A coral you "didnt particularly like" that you thought you were getting a "good deal" on.  

You were perfectly happy when you thought you were coming out ahead on the deal....

10-20 bucks was fair.  

or I guess theres the alternative approach....go on youtube and forums, passively aggressively threaten a small business owner,  take 2 nicer corals for your trouble. no shame in that.

This exactly. Taking those much more expensive corals from a small local business owner; without a doubt there was an unsaid threat. 

• Like 1