Coral Vue Hydros

Diatom bloom started. Should i use prodibio ?

Berkay

Hi everbody. 

I setup my tank again. I use same rock and sand. But first i used vinegar and carbonate for reset... after i setup nicely. I buy 1 kg Fiji branch rock. (Live and coralline algs on it). 

So ı use biodigest and bioptim first day. 1 for each. My tank is about 20 gallon. 

So company propose to use every 14 days. 

Diatom started about 7. Day. And now about 20. Day of tank. Diatom continues and that is spreading fastly. Not stopped yet.. now continuing on glass. 

So my question is ; should i use bioptim and biodigest again? 14 day passed already. 

There is no clean up crew and any fish. 

And when should i get conches or fishes. 

Thanks everybody. 

Also im adding water parameters; all tested with salifert. 

Amonia:0.10

nitrite:0 

nitrate: 2-3

phosphate:0.01 

ph 7.8 ( during lights closing) 

1023 saltinity 

kh 9.8 

0 tds RO water. 

Sorry for my writing mistakes. :) 

Have a nice reef :) 

Pic, please?

Have you done anything to verify the ID of what is spreading?  

A microscope is ideal (even a $10 toy scope) but if you don't have one, try this:

• Take a sample in a vial and shake it up until it's obliterated.  
  • Leave it under a light and see if it coagulates into a mass or if it just stays "shaken up".  
    • "Just shaken up" = diatoms.  
    • Coagulating into a mass = dinoflagellates. (Nitrates and phosphates being so low makes dino's a possibility.) 
  • Add peroxide and see if it bubbles like crazy.....
    • YES = cyano
    • NO = something else.
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

You can add some snails after the cycle finishes. 

Diatoms will run their course as long as you are not adding silicates with bad source water. I usually cycle with the lights off to help skip some of the uglies until I can safely add a clean up crew and start regular water changes and remove as much diatoms as possible by siphoning the sand bed and running floss. Removing them will help as it is like removing bound up silicates. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody. 

Firstly i will add pictures. Especially glass pic. 

Thats 15. Day of diatom. Thats slower than last week. But not stopped yet.. 

i see SEe new brown points on glass. 

I put 4 conches. But They are not so hardworking animals. 2 of them are sleeping everytime in sand. 

Also i did not make any water changes. After diatom stopped i will start %10 water changes every week or bi-weekly. 

What can i do? 

Or should i do nothing for fast cycling. 

Im Using only royal blue and blue leds now about %50-60. Others closed. 

Thank you again:) 

First photo is scary but thats only 15 cm place like this algae on the from glass and there is under the lights. Im not cleaning glass. Should i clean glasses? 

Or  dont toch ? 

C9DCD4D8-BBBF-415D-907B-5685D498FB40.jpeg

FDBDCD9C-4BBB-44E9-95BC-5884E37383B6.jpeg

I would be cleaning the glass and running filter floss and changing the floss every few days.

Exporting the nasty is always a good idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last test values; 5 minutes ago. 
Kh:9.3 
PH:8.10 
Amonia: about 0.20. Thats < 0.25 but i think it is not near to 0. This is near 0.20 :/ 
Nitrite:0 
Nitrate :2 
Salt:1025
Phosphate:0.03 

I think only critic value is amonia. 

Is that problem ? 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I would just ride it out and let it cycle normally. 

Ok i wont do water changes. Because there is no fish or corals. 

Would you use biodigest or bioptim ? 

I used only a time during setup. 

14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You can add it to try and shorten the cycle. It's just bacteria. 

Bioptim can cause more diatom or cyano ? 

Is it true or not ? 

Or ıf no bioptim , bacterias will starve ? 

59 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Bacteria will not starve. If biotim is a carbon source... I would not dose it. 

Biodigest I believe is just bacteria. 

Would you use bacteria during diatom ? 

But i bougth 400-500 grams live Fiji rock. 

Maybe it has lots of bacteria. So maybe no need biodigest ? 

Mahatma do you think about that ? 

On 02.03.2018 at 11:04 PM, Berkay said:

C9DCD4D8-BBBF-415D-907B-5685D498FB40.jpeg

FDBDCD9C-4BBB-44E9-95BC-5884E37383B6.jpeg

I shared photos of diatoms. Can someone comment photos. ? 

Whats stage is that ? 

Should i wait or do water change ? 

Is cycle finished or Continuing ? 

I will clean glasses but not syphone. Will be the problem for system ? 

My plan is to wait 1-2 weeks for water change  (until diatom starts to disappear. ) 

You should test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and see what levels you have. That will tell you how far into the cycle you are. If you don't see any nitrites or nitrates then that tells you that the bacteria is not yet consuming the ammonia.

2 hours ago, Berkay said:

Would you use bacteria during diatom ? 

But i bougth 400-500 grams live Fiji rock. 

Maybe it has lots of bacteria. So maybe no need biodigest ? 

Mahatma do you think about that ? 

Diatom bloom is normal and not from bacteria... Usually silicates. They will dissapear in time. Dosing is not the answer. 

1 hour ago, Lugmos12 said:

ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and see what levels you have.

I tested a day before. 

Nitrate: 2 

nitrite: 0 or maybe 0.01 

amonia <0.25. But near 0.25 (like 0.20) 

kh 9.3 

ph 8.1 

phosphate:0.03

i have 4 conches since  3-4 days. But 3 of them usually sleeping. They dont move. Only one of them moves 2-3 times a day. 

I dont know they live or not. :/ 

whats wrong about conches i cant understand. 

Ok ım still waiting :| 

and ım not sure to why diatom spreads faster and faster day by day. 

But nothing to do. I will wait for let it dissappear. 

I hope it will go back. :) 

Berkay

should know the option exists to simply clean out your whole reef and dispatch with any growth you don't like. Having a clean tank is a matter of willing one that way, using a certain order of operations that allows for safe cleaning deeply which w fix that up.

of course they'll go away in time, this is part of new tank cycling. but don't think that for one solitary second you have to have a tank that looks any way other than what you want it to look- I never let a tank do anything outside of command. its ok to let it subside, its also ok to rip clean your tank last week and have nothing but pure sparkle. your invasion is not bad at all, it will go away in time.

a reason to still consider the rip clean is to practice now, before your cyano invasion phase (heading it off, actually) and because a rip cleaning done correctly is a refreshing, all positive event. its not negative, taxing to the system, you can rip clean a perfectly running nano reef to flush out its organics from the sandbed and this is harmless maintenance, allows for more feeding over the next few mos.

u have the option to clean it any time you want.  this is the first time the tank commanded something to you- to be mildly invaded and for the tank and home variables to choose when it subsides. accept or decline= best trick in reefing. there is no invasion in reefing that can take up residence in a rip cleaned tank, only healthy massive well fed corals live in those kinds of tanks. mild diatoms are indicated for your tanks age and condition, to leave them is not bad. this is merely an exercise in defining acceptable work boundaries for your tank, while its new. am trying to reveal the power of tank rip cleaning at a phase you don't have to use it in; at an optional phase. other invasions will not be an option...when you don't have tons of corals on the line is nice time to practice. it can change the outcome of your reefing to know this trick/promise

its not a huge deal, it means to clean out your sandbed and do a big water change safely to kill invaders and their feed.

• Thanks 1
On 06.03.2018 at 1:30 AM, brandon429 said:

Berkay

should know the option exists to simply clean out your whole reef and dispatch with any growth you don't like. Having a clean tank is a matter of willing one that way, using a certain order of operations that allows for safe cleaning deeply which w fix that up.

of course they'll go away in time, this is part of new tank cycling. but don't think that for one solitary second you have to have a tank that looks any way other than what you want it to look- I never let a tank do anything outside of command. its ok to let it subside, its also ok to rip clean your tank last week and have nothing but pure sparkle. your invasion is not bad at all, it will go away in time.

a reason to still consider the rip clean is to practice now, before your cyano invasion phase (heading it off, actually) and because a rip cleaning done correctly is a refreshing, all positive event. its not negative, taxing to the system, you can rip clean a perfectly running nano reef to flush out its organics from the sandbed and this is harmless maintenance, allows for more feeding over the next few mos.

u have the option to clean it any time you want.  this is the first time the tank commanded something to you- to be mildly invaded and for the tank and home variables to choose when it subsides. accept or decline= best trick in reefing. there is no invasion in reefing that can take up residence in a rip cleaned tank, only healthy massive well fed corals live in those kinds of tanks. mild diatoms are indicated for your tanks age and condition, to leave them is not bad. this is merely an exercise in defining acceptable work boundaries for your tank, while its new. am trying to reveal the power of tank rip cleaning at a phase you don't have to use it in; at an optional phase. other invasions will not be an option...when you don't have tons of corals on the line is nice time to practice. it can change the outcome of your reefing to know this trick/promise

its not a huge deal, it means to clean out your sandbed and do a big water change safely to kill invaders and their feed.

Brandon. Firstly, thank you very much. That a nice Write up. That helps my thinking type. 

Yes you are right. Everyone says different think. You shouldent do everthing on your tank. 

I wonder, dıd you look photo of my tank ? 

What do you think ? Is is only simple diatom or complex with cyano or bad algaes. 

Thats nice example; most of people say dont touch system and let it go itself. So ı decided to wait. But you said do big water changes for catch feed of diatoms. 

I need helps because thats my second tank in 3 months period. I drop off my other tank because of cyano. And setup again. So ı dont want to live again same things. I make mistakes like hurry up during setup. 

So can you basicly Explain me reasons of 

doing big water change in this phase. 

And should i clean glasses or dont toch it ? 

So why ? 

And again some says ıf you change water , you will extend diatom time. 

...!? 

Thank you again :) 

Years worth of work all in one place, each type of aquarium is shown there over the pages. All that is take apart cleaning work we did 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-sand-rinse-thread-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

every form of invasion from cyano to diatoms, that method will beat. That’s a thread a bit long but it is fully the biology of reef tank sandbeds in the practical sense.   We never lose tanks there, but we clean them of all invaders. I think you have a mild mix of diatoms and cyano, a low level issue appropriate for a new tank but still cleanable any time 

11 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

but still cleanable

Ok ı will do water change today or tomorrow. 

Also what do you think about , water changes can extend diatom time. ?