Top Shelf Aquatics

Breeding Ocellaris Clowns

StarFish717

Hi, I have a few questions on breeding clownfish (I have read on multiple forums about the basics) just a few random questions.

Let me list my tank en equipment

Tank: 60cm(L), 38cm(W), 40cm(H) 

Approximately 91L/24 Gallons

Filter: Either A Tidal 55 and no skimmer

Or a Dymax EF-30 with Dymax 

IQ nano skimmer

Light: Either a Odysea 24w Dual T5 reef

or a Dymax REX LED (Reef)

The Filter media is coming from a already established 12 gallon which have been running for about 2 years now. I'll also be adding Carib-Sea live sand and dry rock.

I don't really have lots of questions, my main question is: 

Is it possible to breed A black Ocellaris and a Platinum Ocellaris (the guy at my LFS says yes they can, and I've read that it wouldn't be a problem)

Second Question:

How long after the hatching should I remove the babies and add them to a grow out tank?

Third Question: 

What is the best food to feed the clownfish to keep them as happy as possible (which is easy to find)

Fourth question:

Can I add a anemone (I believe I'm experienced enough, been in the hobby for 3 years)

Fifth question:

Should I add my crab and two snails from my existing tank to the breeding tank?

And lastly:

Should I add corals for the fish to feel secure?

Don’t think Platinum ocellaris clowns are a thing as far as I know, there are platinum percula clowns though. The all-white ocellaris clownfish morph is called “wyoming white” I used to have a pair of these. If your goal is strictly breeding the clownfish and you’re not trying to have a pretty display just keep the tank bare with something like a clay pot for them to spawn in. You’re going to be feeding heavily creating a lot of nutrients, trying to keep other organisms happy in the breeding tank would just complicate things in my opinion.

6 hours ago, jesseatam said:

Don’t think Platinum ocellaris clowns are a thing as far as I know, there are platinum percula clowns though. The all-white ocellaris clownfish morph is called “wyoming white” I used to have a pair of these. If your goal is strictly breeding the clownfish and you’re not trying to have a pretty display just keep the tank bare with something like a clay pot for them to spawn in. You’re going to be feeding heavily creating a lot of nutrients, trying to keep other organisms happy in the breeding tank would just complicate things in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice, I guess it is a Wyoming then. 

5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I would suggest you purchase this book: 

https://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Joyce-D-Wilkerson-ebook/dp/B00DDTQ6AI

Will be of great help. 

Thanks, wil kook into it

Are you making this a live tank as well as a breeding tank? And do you have a hatch tank setup? What do you plan on them laying on? Pots are the easiest as you can give pots good air bubbles while hatching. To answer your question about hatching, you'll be able to see a fertalized egg, you pull the pot out and set it up in a hatching tank. Also different species of clowns have different hatch cycles for instance the picassos we just hatched seem to be hatching on an 11 day cycle as our reg Occy mixes are about every 7 days after fertilization. 

On 26/02/2018 at 7:55 AM, Shoob1e said:

Are you making this a live tank as well as a breeding tank? And do you have a hatch tank setup? What do you plan on them laying on? Pots are the easiest as you can give pots good air bubbles while hatching. To answer your question about hatching, you'll be able to see a fertalized egg, you pull the pot out and set it up in a hatching tank. Also different species of clowns have different hatch cycles for instance the picassos we just hatched seem to be hatching on an 11 day cycle as our reg Occy mixes are about every 7 days after fertilization. 

I am planning on getting an anemone, since by the time the fish are comfortable etc the tank will be mature (since Al the filter media is coming from a already established tank) so in a sense the tank will be live, but will only have the two fish an the anemone. There will be two rocks and some sand in the tank. The hatchery/ grow tank is a 11 gallon all in one tank, with a airstone. Should I add a airstone underneath one of the rocks?

2 hours ago, StarFish717 said:

I am planning on getting an anemone, since by the time the fish are comfortable etc the tank will be mature (since Al the filter media is coming from a already established tank) so in a sense the tank will be live, but will only have the two fish an the anemone. There will be two rocks and some sand in the tank. The hatchery/ grow tank is a 11 gallon all in one tank, with a airstone. Should I add a airstone underneath one of the rocks?

Do You plan on having them lay on a rock? If you could I would put a pot in there. Will make your life easier. Having a live tank isnt a problem for the 2 clowns, its all about that hatch tank. You can also lower your salinity so they don't get sick as easy. I always think the bigger a grow out tank the better. If you get about 30 clowns an 11g isn't very big after about 3 months. You can see some real color and sell around 4-6 months is good age. Also feed heavy! Help them babies grow

10 hours ago, Shoob1e said:

Do You plan on having them lay on a rock? If you could I would put a pot in there. Will make your life easier. Having a live tank isnt a problem for the 2 clowns, its all about that hatch tank. You can also lower your salinity so they don't get sick as easy. I always think the bigger a grow out tank the better. If you get about 30 clowns an 11g isn't very big after about 3 months. You can see some real color and sell around 4-6 months is good age. Also feed heavy! Help them babies grow

No problem, I'll make a plan for another 20 gallon grow out tank. Should I then add the pot in with the rocks? I'm just afraid the anemone attaches itself to the pot if I only add the pot, but then again if I add the rocks and the pot I'm afraid the clowns will lay their eggs on the rock (making the pot a waste of time). Also, should I lower the salinity in the grow out tank or in the breeding tank?  

7 hours ago, StarFish717 said:

No problem, I'll make a plan for another 20 gallon grow out tank. Should I then add the pot in with the rocks? I'm just afraid the anemone attaches itself to the pot if I only add the pot, but then again if I add the rocks and the pot I'm afraid the clowns will lay their eggs on the rock (making the pot a waste of time). Also, should I lower the salinity in the grow out tank or in the breeding tank?  

I would put the rocks in and let the anemone find his spot, you can put the pot anywhere they should know to go in it hopefully, weren't you already planning on then clowns laying on the rock anyways? Or did I misunderstand? Our salinity in low in both setups but we don't have our clowns in a "display" its a 30l with 3 sections and 3 pairs in it. But at least your grow out tank should be lower salinity, some parasites can't live in that low of salinity so it helps them survive. Good luck! Its pretty amazing seeing what you can make 

5 hours ago, Shoob1e said:

I would put the rocks in and let the anemone find his spot, you can put the pot anywhere they should know to go in it hopefully, weren't you already planning on then clowns laying on the rock anyways? Or did I misunderstand? Our salinity in low in both setups but we don't have our clowns in a "display" its a 30l with 3 sections and 3 pairs in it. But at least your grow out tank should be lower salinity, some parasites can't live in that low of salinity so it helps them survive. Good luck! Its pretty amazing seeing what you can make 

I was planning on them laying on the rocks, but the pot seems alot easier. Thanks alot though, really appreciate the advice