Cultivated Reef

Euphyllia coral coloration

hyoib

Hi there, 

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed their euphyllias lose their color intensity with full polyp extension.

My Torch coral is a pretty bright green colour when minimally extended but it looks brown when extended fully. Presume this is normal? 

Also was thinking of adding some more actinic LED strips to improve colour, do you think this will work? 

Both pictures were taken on the same day under the same lighting/camera settings about 1 hour apart.

Thanks

IMG_5726.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

The coral contains zooxanthellae in some finite number.  When the polyps are contracted the zooxanthellae are all closer together and the coral appears to have more color because of their density.  When the polyps are extended they are spread farther apart and the coloring appears to be faded.

• Like 2

It’s the fluval evo 13.5 stock lighting. I’ve ordered some additional actinic strip LEDs to put in the hood

1 minute ago, Braun036 said:

I am going to take these pictures to the guy I pretty run everything though and I will get back to you. 

Thanks that’s great 

5 hours ago, Braun036 said:

I showed your pictures to who think are the two smartest fish people i actually know and they say they have never seen a torch change colors like that. 

Lol, i cant quite work out if that's reassuring or bad! thanks for your help anyway. 

SURVEYMAN46123

My torches tend to hold their color when they extend.   I've never seen one change color after they open fully.

I'm interested in what you find out.

If you are running the light 50/50 it will effect the colour of the coral.

Try running your light 100% blue and 20% white.

If the coral.is stretching for more light it will change the colour same happens when it's getting too much light.

This is it today, looking greenish but not fully extended. Just had my hands in the tank though doing some sand vaccuming. 

Also got a great time lapse of it opening this morning. 

578F38C7-D19B-4468-9A35-C788815F1D07.jpeg

I’m thinking it may just be due to the lighting because when it’s on actincics only it looks pretty green. I can only run two light settings on with the stock fluval light. White with blue or just blue. Would like a lighting solution where I can retain the canopy as my girlfriend isn’t a fan of the tank with the canopy  off. 

Stronger lighting will make the coral produce more pigment, but give it time to acclimate.  It will also expel some of the extra zooxanthellae that make it look browner.

2 hours ago, hyoib said:

I’m thinking it may just be due to the lighting because when it’s on actincics only it looks pretty green. I can only run two light settings on with the stock fluval light. White with blue or just blue. Would like a lighting solution where I can retain the canopy as my girlfriend isn’t a fan of the tank with the canopy  off. 

Most lights require no lid. You'd have to diy something to keep that lid. Unless someone has made a retrofit for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a long tentacled plate coral that does the exact same thing.  When the tentacles are shorter they look greener, but when they stretch they seem to turn a little more dull green/brown.  It's been doing that since I got it, and I've had it for a couple of months now.   I have 32 gallon biocube with stock lighting.

2 hours ago, Reeflex said:

I have a long tentacled plate coral that does the exact same thing.  When the tentacles are shorter they look greener, but when they stretch they seem to turn a little more dull green/brown.  It's been doing that since I got it, and I've had it for a couple of months now.   I have 32 gallon biocube with stock lighting.

Have you noticed and growth from the coral?

On 3/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, hyoib said:

Have you noticed and growth from the coral?

Not really, but it's hard to tell because it swells up during the day to almost twice normal size and then shrinks back down to normal size in the evening.  The tentacles get longer when it swells.  From my understanding, this is a normal thing for plate corals because they take on water to make themselves swell up.