Top Shelf Aquatics

Help identifying a coral! Bloated Xenia?

StephDaReefer

StephDaReefer

So I got this guy at a really nice new LFS in my area called coral supply but I can’t find any information at all on it. The guy that sold it to me said it was a “bloated Xenia” I figured I’ll be able to look up more info on it when I get home. He said like any other Xenia, they grow pretty invasively so I have it on an isolated rock on my fluval 13.5. Does any one know the actual name of it? I’m guessing he just gave me the nickname for it but haven’t been able to find anything like it. Almost looks like a euphyllia coral to me. 

FB858E67-3FCF-494F-AB83-4D32CFD175FA.jpeg

63ED06CE-AFBF-4197-B48C-CE420DDC9E41.jpeg

81D7E1CE-244C-4077-8AF5-C47F5D60F727.jpeg

7D20E58F-5C8A-4000-AFCA-3984134AE9D1.jpeg

StephDaReefer
10 minutes ago, Zorya said:

At least did you get a good deal on ‘bloated xenia’ mismarked? I think some places don’t charge very high for Xenia frags

I’m fairly new to coral purchasing. I’ve done quite a bit of research on lots of corals for months but not sure about the pricing. I got this one for $25 even, it has 3 branching heads. Is that a good price?

StephDaReefer
23 minutes ago, Zorya said:

Looks like a hammer xD lol bloated Xenia... ok lfs dude :D

Lol I had my suspicions especially under a blue light, the polyps seem to glow a green color. I can’t get a picture of it because of the non adjustable fluval stock lighting that makes it either white or blue, no in between. The blue is too intense for my phone camera. :(

16 minutes ago, StephDaReefer said:

I’m fairly new to coral purchasing. I’ve done quite a bit of research on lots of corals for months but not sure about the pricing. I got this one for $25 even, it has 3 branching heads. Is that a good price?

Pretty good price I’d say. Around me the lfs sells euphyllia single head frags for $40 and the basement businesses sell single heads for $25-30. 

On 2/24/2018 at 5:33 PM, StephDaReefer said:

If you are happy with the coral and the price, then you got a good deal. Trying to figure out what a "good price" is will make your head spin. Prices will vary from one region to the next or even one seller/lfs to the next. Something may be $15 From one seller, and $100 From the next guy. Pricing is extremely subjective in this hobby. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, glennr1978 said:

If you are happy with the coral and the price, then you got a good deal. Trying to figure out what a "good price" is will make your head spin. Prices will vary from one region to the next or even one seller/lfs to the next. Something may be $15 From one seller, and $100 From the next guy. Pricing is extremely subjective in this hobby. 

So true. I wasn’t trying to make it so much about the absolute price. I’d be thrilled to get a hammer when they think it’s a xenia - seems like an awesome deal to me! (As long as it will thrive in tank parameters)

I'd be a little cautious about doing business with an LFS that thinks a hammer is a "bloated xenia". Kinda makes ya wonder how long they'll be in business. Of course, you could make out like a bandit while they are, with prices like that!;)

• Like 2
StephDaReefer
43 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I'd be a little cautious about doing business with an LFS that thinks a hammer is a "bloated xenia". Kinda makes ya wonder how long they'll be in business. Of course, you could make out like a bandit while they are, with prices like that!;)

I agree, however they also do at home services and they just opened last month. The guy was pretty young, to be honest he looked like he can still be in high school. I asked about the at home service part and he said his older brother was handling that at the moment and he’s taking over while he’s away setting up an aquarium at an office. So I’m guessing it was a rookie mistake on his part. 

9 minutes ago, StephDaReefer said:

Quick rookie question for you all. Can this hammer coexist near to a torch or will they sting each other?

There's no hard rule on this, but generally speaking hammers and fogspawns are okay together for the most part.  Torches should be alone. 

This guy is extra salty
12 hours ago, StephDaReefer said:

Where is your LFS? I need to go there to get some good deals or should I say steals... lol!